17 Incorrect gear selections

Midnightdrummer
Wtf man? I run autos in D with O/D turned off and manuals in 2nd unless its out of range. Its not my fault if the thing has huge tires, ratios changed, or the damn thing doesn't shift in the gear BAR wants it to.

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

deviationmaster
yeah!! try manuals 25mph on 3rd, even though its not right a majority does it in 3rd and thats how your gear selection goes bad

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

007
Do all your manuels in 2nd and 3rd, you won't have that problem.  The books say's 2nd gear and then they right a program that fucks you for following it. They say you pass with x amount of incomplete monitors but if you pass to many with unset monitors they fuck you. Just goes to show how fucked up this program is. that is why they won't tell us how our  FRP scores are determined, because it would be bullshit to. Bottom line, you are fucked if you do it right and can get fucked if you do it wrong. You choose and you loose either way.

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

FiendFX
This is how I've been doing it since day one...

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

Kriss Vector

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

FiendFX
what are the tricks?

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

justa
Banned User

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

Midnightdrummer
A lot of them were autos. I know many Hondas never want to shift into 3rd (Auto) but I rev it out and get it to about 28mph and let off the throttle and it usually shifts (Maybe this is the "trick"). But no matter what it's stupid. We do like 400 cars a month so it comes out to about 2.5% but still. Its NOT the incorrect gear the program is just stupid.

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

Centralized Smog
I stay in 2nd for manuals and have never gotten a ding for that. I do about ten smogs a day.

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

Just Another Binge Drinker
Turning overdrive off doesn't affect anything since it normally kicks in at speeds well above 25mph.

What you have to do is drive up to 17mph and 27mph do make the transmission kick into the proper gear and quickly bring it back down to the testing speed. The key is to make sure your RPM is under 2,000 for both speeds. Generally, you'll find that most cars can achieve this with the exception of cars with very small engines, like 1.5L or smaller. For large 6 or 8 cylinder vehicles, the RPM should be as low as 1,200. Ultimately, the goal is that you force automatic cars into their 2nd and 3rd gears.

Manual cars are pretty simple. Do NOT leave them in 2nd gear for the high speed test, despite what the dipshits at the BAR say. You will find that shifting up to 3rd gear will yield 0 incorrect gear deviations at the end of every month on your report card. Guaranteed.

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

Do not call the star help desk they are a buffer between us and BAR. On second thought maybe you should call them . Anyway I got two deviations on two different minivans , BOTH 2000 yr., 3.0 l , both Toyo Siennas , RPMS only differ by like fifty. I called Bar starhelpdesk and guy tells me the same old same old . So I told him I no longer am doing Siennas and he says you will lose BUSSINESS, as if they all of a sudden CARE about us.He asked what will you tell customer? I said the truth! Go somewhere else ,I do not want to lose my star , and that is when he said you will lose BUSSINESS and GO ahead and do them !no ones score is perfect!blah blah and blah. SO now that I think about it , those Toyota Siennas owners were NOT repeat customers so they must have been told to go somewhere else and they found the sucker which was me.
    Anyway Midnightrunner , I took a tip from one of the guys here on the forum, Barry , thank you , and it worked. On the Honda Accords or civics when you switch to 25 mph step on the gas and go PAST the 26 intill you FEEL the car shift . This will lower the RPMS and help with the incorrect gear problems. The other thing is do not rely on the old info from the VID , it is sometimes wrong! pay close attention to the screen that has engine size!cylinder ders, A or M , Gas or Diesel I have found some of that info comes back to us wrong.
  hope I was able to help.

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

Under 2000 rpm was when STAR didn't come about. I did an 03 Nissan Murano and my rpms were at 1200 @ 15 and 1500 @ 25 and I get dinged everytime. It all boils down who did the vehicle first and if it was higher than the previous smog, it gets dinged period.

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

On the Sienna, what were your RPMS?

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

Karupt
Fiend X the Siennas RPMS were 2307 fifteen and 2151 twenty five,  the SECOND one was 2368 fifteen and 2199 twenty five , both same year and engine size 3.0 L

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

FiendFX
That is why.. I haven't gotten 1 deviation on any Siennas. It should be below 2000. Try running the Sienna on the dyno for a good 1-2 minutes and then run the ASM. Sometimes tranny gets cold and doesn't want to shift.

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

scanner
FiendFX wrote
I got a ding on a 2003 Sienna  1577 rpm @ 15 mph, and 2076 rpm @ 25 mph.   It's not like I was trying to get it to pass tailpipe.   It was an after repair run for an EVAP failure.

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

FiendFX wrote
That is why.. I haven't gotten 1 deviation on any Siennas. It should be below 2000. Try running the Sienna on the dyno for a good 1-2 minutes and then run the ASM. Sometimes tranny gets cold and doesn't want to shift.
   Thanks Friendly Fiend , I will try what you mentioned above , it cannot hurt! Although I told my local stRhelpdesk that I was going to do lower dyno and run the Siennas first and he was adamant that I do not JUST test it as IS HE says? YEAH okay , it's my license on the line not his.
    Looks like Siennas are troublesome.

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

kfworry
I do TSI's on 2004 Sienna Mini Vans because of the ETC issues and keeping
the wheel speed steady.
The 2006 Sienna Mini Vans  DO NOT have that issue. Easy to keep wheel
speed steady.
When OIS DAD "kicks-in" it won't matter anymore.

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

FiendFX
I used to do TSI on Sienna's.. But now they have updated the software, I run the ASM. Does requires skills because it's hard.

Re: 17 Incorrect gear selections

Midnightdrummer
^Idk what machine you have, but I treat em like the boss level on a 1980s arcade game on my SPX. The ASM testing screen is horrible on SPX... haha
12