1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

mikesmobile
Do any of you fail the "tac" hose that runs from the exhaust to the air cleaner?
Mike

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

Ram Rod
Yes sir.If TAC is missing,defective ...fail it.

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

If its missing or so damaged that its non functional or the heat stove is missing then yes I fail it

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018, 11:49 AM mikesmobile [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do any of you fail the "tac" hose that runs from the exhaust to the air cleaner?
Mike

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/1982-Volvo-Wagon-TAC-tp5067995.html

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

Anon A Mouse
FAIL!

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

I fail them, but apparently the ARB does not consider them an exhaust emissions component so now I just don't know what to do.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/1982/volvo_pc_a0180021_2d1_ta0.pdf
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

Anon A Mouse
WTF? I just checked the MOTOR Emissions book. None of the Volvo's have TAC according to them.

I'd still fail it.....

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

mikesmobile
Do what the 10 other techs do. Isn't that the standard. LOL
Mike

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

Voltron
until the bar comes out and tells me different, i get alot of fail from those continent spanning TAC

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Don't KNOW where. but I think it was here, when the OIS was new, it had TAC on the menu.
Again don't remember where, But Volvo does not call it a TAC. It was a Anti Icier for the throttle body. IE it kept the throttle body from freeing up. Thus not a TAC.

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

mikesmobile wrote
Do any of you fail the "tac" hose that runs from the exhaust to the air cleaner?
I'll pass it.

Rocky Carlisle stated,

What prompted the internal discussion was when an instructor
sent BAR photos and an email regarding a late model Volvo
that had, what appeared to be, a TAC. However, when one of
our engineers contacted the ,manufacturer, they stated that
it was not a TAC per se, since that would indicate that it
was designed to reduce emissions during engine warm up.
Rather, it is simply a device to defend against throttle
body icing.

I pulled the quote from iATN.   http://autop.ro/m8E

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

Don't KNOW where. but I think it was here, when the OIS was new, it had TAC on the menu.
Again don't remember where, But Volvo does not call it a TAC. It was a Anti Icier for the throttle body. IE it kept the throttle body from freeing up. Thus not a TAC.
You beat me to it.

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

Anon A Mouse
Would not throttle body icing affect emissions?

scanner wrote
mikesmobile wrote
Do any of you fail the "tac" hose that runs from the exhaust to the air cleaner?
I'll pass it.

Rocky Carlisle stated,

What prompted the internal discussion was when an instructor
sent BAR photos and an email regarding a late model Volvo
that had, what appeared to be, a TAC. However, when one of
our engineers contacted the ,manufacturer, they stated that
it was not a TAC per se, since that would indicate that it
was designed to reduce emissions during engine warm up.
Rather, it is simply a device to defend against throttle
body icing.

I pulled the quote from iATN.   http://autop.ro/m8E

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

I don't see ARB referring to TAC in many of the on road use files, maybe we should put NA for all TAC?
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

Anon A Mouse wrote
Would not throttle body icing affect emissions?
I suppose so.  If throttle body deicing is a concern to you, why do you suppose all the late model vehicles don't have a "TAC" to prevent throttle body icing?   Aren't they susceptible to that condition too?   Perhaps where they manufacture the vehicle, the TB are prone to icing due to their climate.

If the manufacturer says it doesn't have a TAC, that's good enough for me.

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

D Rochells 150861 wrote
I don't see ARB referring to TAC in many of the on road use files, maybe we should put NA for all TAC?
Sure, see how that works out for you.

If I have a credible written source that says the Throttle-Body-Deicer is not a Thermostatic-Air-Cleaner, I'm going with that.

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

D Rochells 150861
Sadly, I do not think anyone at BAR would notice these days. I see our other techs putting NA on many TACs with no repercussions.

זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

dano
Ok so no tube fail for FI then and not TAC. Problem solved someone
order a pizza I'll pick up the beers..

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

dano wrote
Ok so no tube fail for FI then and not TAC. Problem solved someone
order a pizza I'll pick up the beers..
Well played, sir!

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Is TBI considered a form of FI? If so dano statement is wrong. Lots of TBI GM trucks and cars had a TAC and TBI.

 TBI to me is Fuel Injection. It was fuel being FORCED\INJECTED into a area.

Re: 1982 Volvo Wagon TAC?

dano
Best Answer I Can Give wrote
Is TBI considered a form of FI? If so dano statement is wrong. Lots of TBI GM trucks and cars had a TAC and TBI.

 TBI to me is Fuel Injection. It was fuel being FORCED\INJECTED into a area.
123