1986 Caballero

Anon A Mouse
Booted this one today...

Re: 1986 Caballero

Voltron
expansion chamber for a two stroke air pump. Had to look up this car.  Never heard of it and ive seen my fair share of oldies

Re: 1986 Caballero

defective
Caballero is just GMCs version of the El Camino. 4.3 or 5.0 only.  If the owner swapped the valve covers or removed the stickers, I would be none the wiser.

Re: 1986 Caballero

defective
I fixed it for you.  Now you can pass it.

Re: 1986 Caballero

Re: 1986 Caballero

Johnnybeme
Why are we looking at the valve covers when the VEC is the rule?

Re: 1986 Caballero

Kevin
You guys need to go re read the test manuals. Early small block Chevy is are perfectly legal to swap engines on as long as they have the correct equipment and are in the same engine family. For a time period 305 were almost impossible to get ahold of so it was common practice to just swap in a 5.7l.  A lot of these were the target master replacements made in Mexico

Re: 1986 Caballero

dano
Kevin wrote
You guys need to go re read the test manuals. Early small block Chevy is are perfectly legal to swap engines on as long as they have the correct equipment and are in the same engine family. For a time period 305 were almost impossible to get ahold of so it was common practice to just swap in a 5.7l.  A lot of these were the target master replacements made in Mexico

So it's legal to put 305 heads on a 350 then???

Re: 1986 Caballero

Only legal (with the appropriate equipment) if the engine was offered as an option in that model year, otherwise referee.

Re: 1986 Caballero

defective
350 was never offered in the el camino/caballero for that year.  So as you said, it should go to the Ref.

Re: 1986 Caballero

dano
defective wrote
350 was never offered in the el camino/caballero for that year.  So as you said, it should go to the Ref.

Yeah it should go to the ref. and putting 305 heads on a 350 would effect
emissions so that would be a no go too. You shouldn't even need the valve
cover sticker. You should be able to tell the difference between a 305 and 350
by looking at the valve cover

Re: 1986 Caballero

Anon A Mouse
dano wrote
You should be able to tell the difference between a 305 and 350
by looking at the valve cover
How are the valve covers different? Was that a joke?

Re: 1986 Caballero

defective
The 305 and 350 SBC valve covers interchange, so you cant tell really.

Re: 1986 Caballero

Anon A Mouse
defective wrote
The 305 and 350 SBC valve covers interchange, so you cant tell really.
Exactly

Re: 1986 Caballero

Been passing those since 1998 when I got my license. Was told by BAR this was a factory replacement engine since GM did not offer a 305 replacement motor. But I will be calling my local rep just to double check that their opinion hasnt changed.

Re: 1986 Caballero

Anon A Mouse
From BAR website:

Engine Change Vehicles
An engine change is the installation of an engine in a vehicle that is different from the one originally installed in the vehicle. A Referee inspection is required for all vehicles that have had an engine change.

Replacement of a vehicle's engine with the same engine size or an engine offered by the manufacturer for that year, make and model is considered an engine replacement and does not require a Referee inspection

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Referee/Referee_Centers.html

Re: 1986 Caballero

dano
Anon A Mouse wrote
defective wrote
The 305 and 350 SBC valve covers interchange, so you cant tell really.
Exactly

Yeah they are interchangeable and it's been years since I've been doing the older
cars regularly but if I "think" I remember correctly the stock 305 valve covers
were smaller on top... You do have me researching now though.. LoL!!

Re: 1986 Caballero

Re: 1986 Caballero

I have often wondered about what they mean by "engine size".  Do they mean displacement?  Since only EVAP precludes us from disassembly this could be quite a can of worms!

EDIT I was able to use the same M/T valve covers on a 305 and a 350
The only thing about wearing a mask that bothers me is that the girls are a lot friendlier.

Re: 1986 Caballero

dano
EDIT I was able to use the same M/T valve covers on a 305 and a 350

They def bolt up I was speaking of the size of the top of the original
valve covers being smaller on the top on the 305.
12