1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

Newbiesmogtech
I have a quick question, seems silly but thought you guys could help. Customer comes in and tells me his car has failed for timing. I look at underhood label here

and heres the test he handed me

Book says timing should be at 15. My question is is it adjustable?
I'm still new at this help me out!

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

kilativ
Timing is non adjustable on that one. Send him to referee, for free retest.

Here is the adjustment precedure from OEM service manual.

AC0097S23096A.pdf

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

Newbiesmogtech
Ok thank you! I'll let the customer know. Tricky car.

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

mike
Beter yet
Send him back to tester and have him retest for free

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

Newbiesmogtech
Tester was charging him for re-test. So for future reference on EiS prompt we can still check the timing even if timing is non adjustable and input what the degrees were at?

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

smogg27
Yes check it for your star

I check honda till 1997
And Nissan till 2003 because I been ding for those years.

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

Kriss Vector

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

Jones

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

justa
Banned User

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

Jones

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

just another shop owner wrote
... If you have the label WHY GO TO THE BOOK?????????
We've been through this before, but it bears repeating.

'Not adjustable' and 'No Adjustment Needed' are NOT the same thing.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/2001-NISSAN-MAXIMA-DIS-book-and-under-hood-label-say-timing-15-tp5006284p5006321.html

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

Karupt
If there is no other adjustments needed On the label ,which should be your first and only reference by the way UNLESS it clearly does not belong to that vehicle , then NO you do not check the timing and write the note on your VIR --timing not adjustable PER under hood Label.

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

smog1
for TIME OUT i would suggest that you do proper inspections and not just put yes adjustable if you are not sure  or pass for evap even if you didn't do the test because if i see that on a customers vir i will do whatever i can for them to file a complaint because thats bs for those who know what we are doing

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

Bar guy write up on us for no check timing. He said if distributor has 3 bolts-then check timing.
he showed us pic of 91 civic, smart guy. We told him sure, and there are distributors out there with the "3 holes", but one of the holes is not elongated so what up?.
just check em anyway. star dings ya if not.
now that were beta-f-that.

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

Zenkie
Or you can I send it to my buddies shop.  What city are you in?  He can use the business.  He likes doing easy smog inspections.

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

Voltron
It is adjustable

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

Centralized Smog
I agree it is not adjustable. My buddy just replaced his distributor and I was at his shop. The original distributor mounting holes were only as big as the bolts so it couldn't be turned. He bored out the holes on the replacement distributor so it could be adjustable. He didn't jump the connecter so we were checking actual timing and not base. It was always at 15 btdc even when we turned it all the way to the left and right. Timing mark never moved not even a tick. Steady at 15 btdc as we are turning the distributor.

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

He obviously didn't read the post from kilatv.

Re: 1997 HONDA ACCORD TIMING

JUSTA SAID
The label is GOD, read the fing thing no adjustments need. You go to a book that has more wrong data. You look at a book? The LABEL IS FROM HONDA the maker of the car. Why go to the book?

If the label is always correct how do you test the timing on chyrslers that don't tell you to disconnect the coolant temp sensor? Do you disconnect the sensor or not? Car comes in for a drivability issue on a ford taurus for lack of power you check the timing and it is off, the label says it is not adjustable do you believe the label and not adjust the timing? or do you adjust it because it is adjustable? The list can go on and on and on and on, there is not anyone answer that fits, there are many varaibles to this problem and experience is your best friend.