1st CItation

smogger
well I got the letter, waiting on the court date for them to tell me what I missed. my question is what is the best way to go about this? show up pay the fine, go to class? I learned my lesson that's for sure.

Re: 1st CItation

FiendFX
My opinion, pay the fine and let it be. But if you want to appeal, go right ahead..

Let us know which vehicle and what was tampered.

Re: 1st CItation

It is NOT a court date, it is a Citation Conference at the BAR Field Office for your area.
You did say it is your 1st Citation, right??
Don't waste your time fighting it, you will NOT win, unless you have a
Money Hungry Attorney. Even if you have "deep pockets" for an attorney
there is NO guarantee you will prevail.
It goes to an Administration Judge ONLY if it is your 4th Offense/Undercover Run
you missed.
Any Questions??

Re: 1st CItation

cosmokramertheassman
I got a citation for inputting "incorrect" ignition timing on an undercover vehicle. Fought it, didn't win but got the fine cut in half. Good luck!

Any Questions??
^^ What kfworry said. ^^

Re: 1st CItation

kfworry
smogger:
Did you READ the letter?? Is it from the BAR field office??
Did you read where is says "citation conference"??
1st citation fine schedule has changed with AB2289.
Remember one thing, it goes before a Judge ONLY if you
contest/fight the 1st, 2nd, 3rd citation.
A 4th offense could take months to work through the court
system. Then you would be notified by the COURT with a very
thick full size, 9 x 12 envelope.
Any Questions??

Re: 1st CItation

kfworry
At the citation conference the BAR field office Reps will show you pictures of the
vehicle and what I call the "tweak", timing, missing part, whatever the case is that you missed.
Do not argue with them!! You will not win!!
Do not go on the defensive!!
Take is like an adult and learn from it, OK??

Re: 1st CItation

smogger
thanks guys. yes it did say conference didn't know why I put court. but that's what im planning on doing. just going to pay and learn from it.

Re: 1st CItation

cosmokramertheassman
A friend of mine argued with them and got off the hook. He had been bypassing the OBD2 portion of the inspection and simply told the BAR reps that his machine had been acting up. They told him next time fix the machine and don't bypass the OBD2. (Clearly my friend was lying; he had been clean plugging the whole time)

Re: 1st CItation

SDBigdogg88
Without knowing what you were issued a citation for, it is difficult to accurately throw my dos centavos worth of opinion into the conversation.

First and foremost, treat the citation conference like you would a car accident, which is to never admit fault or accept blame for something another party is accusing you of.

Simply listen closely to what they have to tell you, ask questions of them if you don't understand something, do not let them rush or intimidate you, record the session if you are able to with their permission, view all documents and photos carefully without admitting any wrongdoing since anything you say during the conference will be documented and used against you later on in court if you choose to go that route.

Do not sign anything for any reason by saying you want to have an attorney review any and all documents before you put your signature on it to protect your rights and your license.

Make no mistake about what your citation conference really is, which is an adversarial process that could be damaging to you and your license, so listen carefully, take notes, ask questions don't get chatty with them, don't trust them to be your friends, since they are there to put your lights out if you let them.

Having said all that, if your citation is for clean piping or doing blatantly illegal stuff like smog going race cars, make sure to have an attorney with you for the conference since he can protect you from civil and possible criminal sanctions.

Good luck, and may the Force be with you.