2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

SoCalSmogGuy
Any tips, tricks, hints on getting this monitor to run? Vehicle is a 2000 Toyota Camry 4-cyl with only 50k miles.

I tried following the procedure listed in the drive cycle software but it didn't work.

I have noticed this is common with this generation Camry and was wondering if anybody had any advice.

Thank You
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

Samy
My best advice is to check thermostat or make sure engine temp is up before road test.

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

SoCalSmogGuy
Samy wrote
My best advice is to check thermostat or make sure engine temp is up before road test.
Thank you for the response.

I checked pre-conditions and they were met. IAT > 14F and ECT > 176F
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

BasicTech678
SoCalSmogGuy wrote
Samy wrote

sometimes resetting dose the trick, why i have no idea. but it dose

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

SoCalSmogGuy wrote
Any tips, tricks, hints on getting this monitor to run? Vehicle is a 2000 Toyota Camry 4-cyl with only 50k miles.
Make sure the rear O2 goes high, the cat monitor won't run unless it does.   Make sure the rear O2 goes through it's voltage range.   Run the car around 55 mph for a few minutes, and make sure the O2 goes high.  Release the throttle and let the vehicle go into fuel cut.   Let the rear start going up, and accelerate to around 45 mph, and make sure the rear O2 goes high.   Open the image in another window, or right click the image an "view image".   You'll see the cat complete at the end of the scan.   This is a 2004 Corolla, but you run the cat the same way.

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

SoCalSmogGuy
Thank you Scanner!

I will try this today and let you know how it goes.
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

Check what you're enabling criterias are for that particular monitor. And when performing the drive cycle monitor those areas and see what's not happening for completion period but a lazy thermostat will also cause this problem.

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018, 2:03 PM SoCalSmogGuy [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any tips, tricks, hints on getting this monitor to run? Vehicle is a 2000 Toyota Camry 4-cyl with only 50k miles.

I tried following the procedure listed in the drive cycle software but it didn't work.

I have noticed this is common with this generation Camry and was wondering if anybody had any advice.

Thank You
Work Smarter AND Harder

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/2000-Toyota-Camry-Catalyst-Monitor-tp5068511.html

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

How do you guys use the GEN3 to run monitors? I want to add load but don't know how. I tried using it free running/no load with no luck. It seems to fast to run at 55mph but thought I would try.

I am trying to run a very stubborn cat monitor on a 2003 3.4L m/t Tacoma 4x4. I have verified that the rear O2 goes high voltage and the sensor is a new Denso part. It is a friends truck and he has driven through the Toyota TSB drive cycle and the generic GM drive cycle countless times and commuted for over 1000 miles and 5 months with no code or complete monitor.

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

Set the manual mode load @ 3 or 4 HP, warn everyone that it's gonna be loud for a few minutes, and let 'er rip.

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

How do you guys use the GEN3 to run monitors? I want to add load but don't know how. I tried using it free running/no load with no luck. It seems to fast to run at 55mph but thought I would try.
I ran a stubborn cat monitor on a 2001 Sienna today.   The cats aren't that good, and the rear O2 didn't want to stay above 700mv.  It was staying around 685mv.   I was running the dyno unloaded, and I probably should have put at least 5hp or more load on it.    I had to gently press on the throttle to keep the voltage up above 700mv, and was running around 35 to 45 mph.  Running a monitor is more art than a science, you can't just put it in drive and step on the gas.

I am trying to run a very stubborn cat monitor on a 2003 3.4L m/t Tacoma 4x4. I have verified that the rear O2 goes high voltage and the sensor is a new Denso part. It is a friends truck and he has driven through the Toyota TSB drive cycle

If the rear falls below 700mv, you might want to feather the throttle in an effort to get it back up.   The only time you want to see the O2 tank is during fuel cut off.   You want the PCM to see the sensor's full travel.

and the generic GM drive cycle countless times and commuted for over 1000 miles and 5 months with no code or complete monitor.
http://members.iatn.net/resources/toyota/rmdp/rmdp_13.html

When I'm decelerating from 55mph and watching the O2 tank, I'll let it coast until the O2 starts going back up by itself.   Then I'll slooooowly accelerate up to 34``45mph while trying to maintain the highest voltage and then just try to keep a steady speed.   Using a Techstream, you can watch the O2 data and the monitor state at the same time.   Using my generic android scanner, I have to switch between data and readiness.    I use my phone a lot, because I'm too lazy to setup the Techstream.

If the cats are marginally bad, it takes forever to get the vehicle to complete a monitor and set a code.

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

scanner
scanner wrote
When I'm decelerating from 55mph and watching the O2 tank, I'll let it coast until the O2 starts going back up by itself.   Then I'll slooooowly accelerate up to 34``45mph while trying to maintain the highest voltage and then just try to keep a steady speed.
If you look the scan I had previously put up, you can see I did just that.  I let the rear O2 tank, and you can see the rear O2 start to go up.  You can see where I pressed on the gas gently to get to ~~40mph. Try to get that O2 over 700, the higher the better.   Then hold steady.   If the O2 keeps going down below 700, you have a marginal cat.

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

barrym95838 wrote
Set the manual mode load @ 3 or 4 HP, warn everyone that it's gonna be loud for a few minutes, and let 'er rip.

could you give a quick crash course on how to do this? I will try it after I close up tonight so noise isn't an issue.

I normally run them on rural roads up the hill but I want to be able to watch my scanner more to see if I can keep the rear O2 sensor where it should be. This one is being particularly fussy so I think something is wrong.

Thank you both very much for your help too.

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

I don't really have anything else to add to my previous post ... just that providing a slight load (by changing the standard manual/dyne mode parameter from whatever it was preset for 15 mph) will make it much easier to get into the drive cycle "sweet spots" than no load at all.  In other words, go into it like you're doing a 15 mph sniff, but use the LIMITS button at the bottom of the 5 gas screen to lower your horsepower parameter to something like 3 or 4 (or maybe 5 for a truck).  Scanner has already provided exquisite detail of the rest.

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

none
barrym95838 wrote
Thanks again. That is what I was looking for. I didn't know how to do a 5hp load.

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

scanner wrote
scanner wrote
When I'm decelerating from 55mph and watching the O2 tank, I'll let it coast until the O2 starts going back up by itself.   Then I'll slooooowly accelerate up to 34``45mph while trying to maintain the highest voltage and then just try to keep a steady speed.
If you look the scan I had previously put up, you can see I did just that.  I let the rear O2 tank, and you can see the rear O2 start to go up.  You can see where I pressed on the gas gently to get to ~~40mph. Try to get that O2 over 700, the higher the better.   Then hold steady.   If the O2 keeps going down below 700, you have a marginal cat.
When I accelerate to 50 in 5th I can get the O2 up to .735v and then when I hold steady it drops pretty quickly to about .400v If I keep playing with the load I can only get it up to around .600v at 15 hp load.

He just put a new cat on the rear hoping to fix the monitor issue but I wonder if the front cat is toast. I might try running my truck tomorrow night to compare readings (or swap my front cat in if I get desperate).

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

SacSmog
Drive it on the dyno at 45 mph for 15 min

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

He just put a new cat on the rear hoping to fix the monitor issue but I wonder if the front cat is toast. I might try running my truck tomorrow night to compare readings (or swap my front cat in if I get desperate).
Rear cats rarely go bad.  The front cats bear the brunt of whatever goes wrong from the engine.  He probably didn't do an intrusive, and threw the rear cat because it was easier to change.

Before you start swapping parts, and you got the dyno set for monitors, run the monitor on your truck first.   You know there's no issue, and practicing on a known good vehicle will allow you to see what I'm talking about.   It's like using a DSO. Don't practice on a broken car, practice on something that's working correctly.

Follow the Toyota drive cycle for the most part.   Clear the memory, warm it up, drive it as described.  You'll see the cat complete before most of the other monitors.

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

none
scanner wrote
... and you got the dyno set for monitors, run the monitor on your truck first.   You know there's no issue, and practicing on a known good vehicle will allow you to see what I'm talking about.
Good idea. I think I will do that tonight so I get the hang of it.

scanner wrote
It's like using a DSO. Don't practice on a broken car, practice on something that's working correctly.
My teacher at Sierra College, who I give a lot of credit for what I know about cars, used to say that all the time too. Look at good injector patterns (or whatever) so you can identify a bad one.

scanner wrote
Rear cats rarely go bad.  The front cats bear the brunt of whatever goes wrong from the engine.  He probably didn't do an intrusive, and threw the rear cat because it was easier to change.
This truck had an ignition coil problem early last summer which I'm sure is what caused this but I would have thought I would at least get a pending code if it was bad by now. This is a friends truck (my mountain biking buddy) which is why I'm trying to figure this out. WELL, that and just doing smogs all day is REALLY BORING. I need so challenges for my brain.

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

Best Answer I Can Give
 Just had a 02 Linc. in that would not set monitors. One of the better shops in town.
He finally said screw it and cleared EVERYTHING. Set within 30 miles.

 I have had several shops tell me that. Something to think about.

Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Catalyst Monitor

I think I'm missing something. Should the rear O2 sensor voltage stay high while I'm running along at 50 mph on the dyno before I decell into fuel cut? My truck drops too down to about .300V. I went as high as 25 hp load but I'm worried about hurting the dyno trying it too much at these speeds.

I was going to go run it on my regular road course but they are holding all the semi trucks there on the frontage roads because it's snowing further up I80 right now.

I'm frustrated, it's been a bad day, and I'm going home!