2001 Galant

Midnightdrummer
Guy came in with two incompletes. CAT and EGR. Boss said charge him 1/2 hr labor to set the monitors so I tried running the drive cycle multiple times and nothing. He "says" he's been driving for two months. I see its in the smog check reference guide saying monitors difficult to set, referring to 1998-2001 certain Mitsubishi models. Ever run into this? I offered a diagnostic to try to see what's going on, and to hook up the scanner to check out mode 6, but no luck.

Re: 2001 Galant

KeepItReal

Re: 2001 Galant

Midnightdrummer
I knew I should have just ran the test... They came to me asking to set the monitors though. Oh well it would have failed anyway for an aftermarket, no EO intake.

Re: 2001 Galant

Centralized Smog
I believe that message came out sometime last year. My machine have failed quite a few of those vehicles for incomplete moniters after that message.

Re: 2001 Galant

KeepItReal
Centralized Smog wrote
 My machine have failed quite a few of those vehicles for incomplete moniters after that message.
The smog machine does not automatically bypass that part of the test.

I put n/a on the functional part of the obd2 test on those vehicles.

Re: 2001 Galant

I have seen my ESP Gen 1 quietly pass them, with no bypassing or other intervention from me.  They will not fail for incomplete monitors, but can fail for MIL commanded ON.  Some early OBD2 Volvos are the same way, at least on my machine.  I wouldn't even know, except in the case of used car dealer pre-screens.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: 2001 Galant

smog king101
I know it bypasses 1996-1997 mitsubishi. Havent seen it on those yrs u mentioned. Monitors only .

Re: 2001 Galant

Thick6
My WorldWide automatically bypasses them, the only vehicles I manually bypass are federal obd2 exempt ford trucks.

Re: 2001 Galant

Centralized Smog
I just failed a 98 Montero Sport 3.0L for incomplete monitors. So wtf... I am not bypassing the obd2 test. The BAR blast didn't say to do that.

Re: 2001 Galant

Thick6
I wouldn't bypass it either.

Re: 2001 Galant

KeepItReal
Centralized Smog wrote
 I am not bypassing the obd2 test. The BAR blast didn't say to do that.
The 5th line down, it says the monitors will not cause the vehicle to fail.

I have been bypassing the obd2 for almost a year and those cars didn't show up on the star score.

Re: 2001 Galant

i dont think montero was in that category..

Re: 2001 Galant

Centralized Smog
KeepItReal wrote
The 5th line down, it says the monitors will not cause the vehicle to fail.

I have been bypassing the obd2 for almost a year and those cars didn't show up on the star score.
But it doesn't say to bypass the obd2 test. My take on it is it will treat it the same as the 96-97. Do the obd2 test and it will scan for dtcs and monitors but the software won't fail it for incomplete monitors.

Re: 2001 Galant

Centralized Smog
There is a pic of the message on post #3. Montero is on the list. Funny thing is I tried to print to message from my BAR97, but I can't find it. It is not on the BAR website also.

Re: 2001 Galant

FiendFX
I just checked the list, on Mitsubishi 98-01 - Montero, Diamante, 3000GT, Mirage, Galant, Eclipse. "Mitsubishi provides recommended drive cycles in its service. See service manual for 1998-2001 drive cycle." This is from the Smog Check OBD 2 Reference Testability Issues

Re: 2001 Galant

Midnightdrummer
That's also what I saw, that's why I assumed the drive cycle had to be completed and not skipped

Re: 2001 Galant

KeepItReal
Centralized Smog wrote
I tried to print to message from my BAR97, but I can't find it. It is not on the BAR website also.
Whenever I would test a Mitsubishi that message kept popping up,Just like when I test certain fords trucks and a screen pops up saying some fords that are federal are still obd1.

Everyone here should have got that message on there smog machine.

Re: 2001 Galant

Centralized Smog
i see the ford truck message all the time. i saw the Mitsubishi one once and thought it was a bar et blast. After that I never saw it again.

Re: 2001 Galant

KeepItReal
On my star score it showed 3 deviations last month for bypassing the obd2 on Mitsubishi's.

I've been bypassing them for almost a year without a problem.

Re: 2001 Galant

Centralized Smog wrote
I just failed a 98 Montero Sport 3.0L for incomplete monitors. So wtf... I am not bypassing the obd2 test. The BAR blast didn't say to do that.
  Central, I had a volvo fail two months ago for incomplete monitors , the car is on the Testability issues , so boss calls Sacramento , guy tells me to bypass the volvo obdtwo as our Esp probably did not update the "table" for that specific yr and make . I asked what his name was he said JOhn ,so i asked him if it was okay to jot a note down with his name on it if star penalized me for bypassing or "Obd not performed" He says sure so i ask for his full name .. he starts to backpedal .. at which time i handed phone back to boss , it is my licence and i do not care what John says i go by the written material i have on hand .
    we sent the volvo owner to referee .  on the other hand if you do not mind one or two dings like Keep it real said then i believe that is also ok. The blast does say the monitors will not be used and what does the obdtwo check for anyway just monitors cause the analyzer does ask if the check engine light is on or off before it goes to the obdtwo check .
12