2004 Camry Cat Wont Set

louie
I have a 2004 camry 2.4l the catalyst wont set I have new a/f ratio sensor new thermostat and still wont set i do notice when im driving it goes from CL to OL-Drive/OL intermittently any ideas ? Thanks in advance

Re: 2004 Camry Cat Wont Set

none
Is the coolant temp staying up or is it dropping? I assume it's a 4cyl and if so is it the SULEV (looks like it is missing the manifold heat shield)?

Re: 2004 Camry Cat Wont Set

louie
The coolant temperature usually stays above 190 degrees and yes the catalyst has the heat shields

Re: 2004 Camry Cat Wont Set

Re: 2004 Camry Cat Wont Set

BayAreaSmogTech
louie wrote
I have a 2004 camry 2.4l the catalyst wont set I have new a/f ratio sensor new thermostat and still wont set i do notice when im driving it goes from CL to OL-Drive/OL intermittently any ideas ? Thanks in advance

Drive it hard to get the cat hot (lower gear on freeway with higher rpm). Pull over and then do a wide open throttle to 50 mph. Then maintain that speed. It should get ready in 30 secs - 5 mins. That's been my go to for all old Toyotas.

This is assuming everything is working correctly. If you fail repeatedly at setting the monitor, then you'll have to do the leg work to figure out if the cat, thermostat, rear o2, wiring/ground or programming is bad.

Re: 2004 Camry Cat Wont Set

Lac T
I have a 2004 solara 2.4L, cat monitor would not set after over 1200 miles. I finally replaced the cat and it set in less than 20 miles.

Re: 2004 Camry Cat Wont Set

Monitor the time it takes for the thermostat to reach operating temperature. Also check your sensor Pro Scouts and see if you're hanging out more lean than rich. It would really help you to use a oscilloscope for this operation

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020, 8:27 PM louie [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a 2004 camry 2.4l the catalyst wont set I have new a/f ratio sensor new thermostat and still wont set i do notice when im driving it goes from CL to OL-Drive/OL intermittently any ideas ? Thanks in advance

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/2004-Camry-Cat-Wont-Set-tp5081058.html

Re: 2004 Camry Cat Wont Set

From Lac T:
"I have a 2004 Solara 2.4L, cat monitor would not set after over 1200 miles. I finally replaced the cat and it set in less than 20 miles."

To Lac T:
I had Camry with 350,000 miles that would not set the Cat monitor. I did a manual mode
Gas analyzer test, the HC's were Very High.
Customer replaced the Manifold Cat. The Cat monitor set within a few miles.