2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

mdpepper
2004 Toyota , they stole her CATS a few years back. She said she got new ones installed at the dealer. She got some brackets-shields welded on the CATS with a chain tethered to the frame. I failed under Tamper . I cannot see the EO number and because something is welded on the CATS. is this correct ???

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

WealdstoneRaider
You should post pictures when asking such questions because if they are indeed converters from the dealer they would not have/need an Eo number as you know.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

none
I agree, I would have to see it but a dealer cat wouldn't need EO#s.

If I couldn't read the number I would REJECT it before I would FAIL it. You just screwed up someones FPR score.

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

mdpepper

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

mdpepper

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

none
That is a factory cat for sure. No EO# required.

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

mdpepper

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

mdpepper

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

bo2o
i like that. ive seen people weld chain links to the cat and pipe.
so its a extra step to cut.

yes that looks oem for that tundra.

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

mdpepper
looks modified to me, I sent them to the ref.

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

none
mdpepper wrote
looks modified to me, I sent them to the ref.
IN WHAT WAY?

Modified that the catalytic converter won't work like it should? I don't see that at all.

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

mdpepper
Catalytic Converters
Smog Check Inspectors must check that all required catalytic converters (CATs) are present and appear to be properly installed. This includes making sure there are the correct number of CATs, that they are installed in the original location(s), and that they have no tampers or defects. A change in the number of converters is only acceptable when it is allowed pursuant to an EO exemption.
Since January 1, 2009, ARB has required that all aftermarket catalytic converters installed in California bear an EO number. If an EO number is not present and/or the wrong converter(s) is installed, the vehicle shall fail the catalyst visual inspection.

no EO number and Tamper

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

Some exhaust shops will attach Rebar to the new cat. conv. to prevent it from
being cut off.
Rebar would NOT affect cat. conv. operation or be cause for a Tamper failure.
End Of Story

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

Dealer cats don't have EO#s. Toyo cats usually have a small toyo stamp on it somewhere

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

mdpepper
If the REF passes the car, Ill just give them back their money, Ill still fail it again if I cant see an EO number and it has anti theft modification on the CAT,  its TAMPERED

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

No One
mdpepper wrote
What if the ref calls you and tells you to pass it? I have a friend who got a call from the ref telling him to pass a car he failed for a tamper CAT. He was failing rescinded and withdrawn cats left and right because he was scared of what the next guy might do.

how? please explain how an external anti theft device is modifying the emissions system?

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

No One
BasicTech678 wrote
mdpepper wrote
looks modified to me, I sent them to the ref.
how? please explain how an external anti theft device is modifying the emissions system?
Its supposed to be easy to steal.

My besta senses tell me this guy is in on the cat stealing racket and is trying to persuade us all to do the same as him.

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

mdpepper wrote
If the REF passes the car, Ill just give them back their money, Ill still fail it again if I cant see an EO number and it has anti theft modification on the CAT,  its TAMPERED
FALSE

Modified
An emission control system or component has been modified if:
• It has been disabled even though it is present and properly connected to the engine
and/or vehicle;  NOPE
• It has been replaced with a component not marketed by its manufacturer for street
use on the vehicle,   NOPE
• An emissions related component of the system has been changed such that there is
no capacity for connection with or operation of other emissions control
components or systems. NOPE

Re: 2004 Toyota Tundra, CATS SHIELDED

The way he keeps talking about an EO# on a factory catalytic converter I figured he doesn't know what AFTERMARKET means.

He has two posts on the same day about failing cars with factory cats. I just don't think this guy will be in business in two years anyway.