2005 Chevy Classic 2.2l Cat Question

BlueSky
On the rear of this vehicle is reads Malibu.  The VID shows it's a 2005 Chevy Classic.  There is and aftermarket Cat CARB EO#D183-113 EFN 5GMXV02.2027 on the vehicle.  This EFN shows up in both a Malibu and a Classic search for 2.2l, but the cat is not correct for a Classic.  Aren't these both the same vehicle.  Would you sent to ref or tell customer to get the correct cat from the muffler shop?

Re: 2005 Chevy Classic 2.2l Cat Question

none
I would decode the VIN and see what the model is. I believe it is a Malibu Classic.

Re: 2005 Chevy Classic 2.2l Cat Question

BlueSky
none wrote
I would decode the VIN and see what the model is. I believe it is a Malibu Classic.
Decoded and it comes back CLASSIC, no Malibu at all.

Re: 2005 Chevy Classic 2.2l Cat Question

smogido

Re: 2005 Chevy Classic 2.2l Cat Question

BlueSky
smogido wrote
Thanks but this vehicle is a Classic so the CARB EO D193-113 is not correct.

Re: 2005 Chevy Classic 2.2l Cat Question

deathbysmog
Same car, i was told the Classic was sent out to rental car comps.  I would send to Ref for 2nd opp.

Re: 2005 Chevy Classic 2.2l Cat Question

Centralized Smog
I would pass the vehicle if I was the tech doing the smog.

Re: 2005 Chevy Classic 2.2l Cat Question

Seven years ago I would have passed it.  Today I would fail it.  Citations have a way of adjusting your attitude.

Re: 2005 Chevy Classic 2.2l Cat Question

Re: 2005 Chevy Classic 2.2l Cat Question

BlueSky
D wrote
The Classic is the old generation of Malibu which kinda ended in 2003 but was sold to fleets until 2005. They probably didnt bribe ARB enough to get 193 113 certified for the 2004 Epsilon body and the Classic as they most likely have different engine families.
Actually the same EFN shows up under both vehicles.  It's the cat that did not.

The customer did returne yesterday.  He told me the muffler shop/smog shop said the vehicles are the same so it's OK to pass the vehicle.  I told him as soon as the state referee puts a label on the door certifying the cats OK then I can pass it.  I asked the customer, why don't you have the other shop certify it like he did last time.  He said because I failed it for the wrong cat.

Re: 2005 Chevy Classic 2.2l Cat Question

You did "the right thing" IMO.

Re: 2005 Chevy Classic 2.2l Cat Question

Re: 2005 Chevy Classic 2.2l Cat Question

barrym95838 wrote
You did "the right thing" IMO.

I agree.

I may have passed it only because I didn't know better. You researched it like you should.

Re: 2005 Chevy Classic 2.2l Cat Question

So if the year, make and EFN matches but model does match, it's a FAIL?