2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

mdpepper
2008 Dodge Caliber , new shiny CAT, no EO CARB number, he said the shop ordered it from the dealer. according to the book , it suppose to be a number stamped on the CAT so we can look it up on the BAR website. i failed it under tamper. hes coming back with his receipt later, should I send him to the REF??

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

SoCalSmogGuy
mdpepper wrote
2008 Dodge Caliber , new shiny CAT, no EO CARB number, he said the shop ordered it from the dealer. according to the book , it suppose to be a number stamped on the CAT so we can look it up on the BAR website. i failed it under tamper. hes coming back with his receipt later, should I send him to the REF??
Your call, kind of fishy there is not even a factory part number stamped on it
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

mdpepper
you can buy them Cats all day long on EBAY,

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

mdpepper

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

mdpepper

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

Each time I fail cars for shit like this I give them the ref number and tell them to call them if they want to contest the results.

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

BasicTech678
No One wrote
Each time I fail cars for shit like this I give them the ref number and tell them to call them if they want to contest the results.
same not one comes back,

and if its from dealer better have the receipt for part from dealer. shit go get the box it came in too LMAO

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

smoggee
Receipt probably won't help.  His problem is with the dealer who installed it.  Don't pass it unless you're sure it's 100% right.
Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be explained by incompetence

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

mdpepper
he would have to see the ref, or change the CAT that is California street legal

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

smoggee
Receipt probably won't help.  His problem is with the dealer who installed it.  Don't pass it unless you're sure it's 100% right.
Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be explained by incompetence

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

Best Answer I Can Give
 What part of the RULES don't you guys UNDERSTAND?

 After market CAT? No Number NO PASS.

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

mdpepper
i agree

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

What part of the RULES don't you guys UNDERSTAND?

 After market CAT? No Number NO PASS.
New cat from the DEALER won't have an EO# though.

I would have to see the cat to decide what I would do. If the shop welded it in I would fail it for sure but if it is the round Dodge cat that comes on these and all the new factory pipe on each side I would probably pass it.

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

Is there a way to identify factory CATs other than having the chops to be able to confirm by their physical appearance?  I've looked for markings on one or two factory CATs just out of curiosity, but found no markings.  Do they have any specific markings?  I'm lucky, i've never been faced with an unmarked replacement CAT with the customer claiming it's factory.

EDIT:SoCalsmog, can you elaborate on that factory number thing?
Loaded for bear, licensed for quail.

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

BasicTech678
tampered wrote
Is there a way to identify factory CATs other than having the chops to be able to confirm by their physical appearance?  I've looked for markings on one or two factory CATs just out of curiosity, but found no markings.  Do they have any specific markings?  I'm lucky, i've never been faced with an unmarked replacement CAT with the customer claiming it's factory.

EDIT:SoCalsmog, can you elaborate on that factory number thing?
replacing with factory cats is rare unless its a sulev emission. plus when they go to dealer they dump a shit ton of money and keep receipts who throws away 700+ install dealer receipt. i make it very clear to keep that receipt just in case you get a fail happy tech. besides if its dealer installed have them reprint the receipt or just advise them to have the dealer pass it. why fail it and fuck shit up for something your NOT SURE about.

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

defective
Ive had a car come back from the Honda dealer with an aftermarket Bosal converter with no EO#.  This was after 2009 and the dealer didnt know.  They gave the owner the option of picking that or the more expensive Honda OEM converter.  It got punted back, and eventually returned with the OEM cat.

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

BasicTech678
defective wrote
Ive had a car come back from the Honda dealer with an aftermarket Bosal converter with no EO#.  This was after 2009 and the dealer didnt know.  They gave the owner the option of picking that or the more expensive Honda OEM converter.  It got punted back, and eventually returned with the OEM cat.
similar i had a G35 it was a trade in got sold with aftermarket headers and spacers. to a new customer i punted it back the called them up dealer installed oem exhaust and cats. big brand dealer like GMC not mom and pop dealer.

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

BasicTech678 wrote
replacing with factory cats is rare unless its a sulev emission....
I respectfully disagree. I see a fair number of new dealer cats. Some are barely more cost than cheap aftermarket direct replacement junk.

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

Technician A
none wrote
BasicTech678 wrote
replacing with factory cats is rare unless its a sulev emission....
I respectfully disagree. I see a fair number of new dealer cats. Some are barely more cost than cheap aftermarket direct replacement junk.
My area is the same as Basic. 90+% are aftermarket. The fit of the aftermarket ones are trash. But the only oem that came within $100 was for a Mazda.

Re: 2008 dodge caliber catalytic converter no CARB E.O.

Juicebox
You can definitely tell the difference between dealer and aftermarket. Not all chrysler stuff has markings on it though, so i can see how someone can be suspicious. I guess if you're a newer tech and cant tell err on the side of caution. I would at least ask for a receipt or something before failing.
12