2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

Calibration Required
I just had one fail for incomplete EGR monitor, however the 3.8L does not nor did it ever come with an EGR.  I told her to call the dealer for any further info on this problem, she was told this 'EGR not complete' problem is common these 2010 3.8 liter.  I Sent her to the REF.

Anyone else run across this?

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

scanner
Calibration Required wrote
I just had one fail for incomplete EGR monitor, however the 3.8L does not nor did it ever come with an EGR.  I told her to call the dealer for any further info on this problem, she was told this 'EGR not complete' problem is common these 2010 3.8 liter.  I Sent her to the REF.

Anyone else run across this?
I looked up on Alldata as to what emission control devices are on that platform, and EGR isn't one of them.   If that is the case, then the PCM must be monitoring the CVVT system.

Did you do any data gathering?   Did you check the engine oil?

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

Calibration Required
scanner wrote
I looked up on Alldata as to what emission control devices are on that platform, and EGR isn't one of them.   If that is the case, then the PCM must be monitoring the CVVT system.

Did you do any data gathering?   Did you check the engine oil?
I didn't know that there was any type of CVVT monitoring. As far as data gathering ... I referenced the OBD manual, that was the extent of it.  Excuse my ignorance but what would checking the oil reveal to me?

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

a non existent egr with a very existant monitor ... hmmmm wonder if those guys at Hyunda ate some magical mushrooms in their sushi ?It has to be what Scanner said. the cvvt doubling as egr ?

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

Decker

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

Calibration Required
<quote author="Decker">
Calibration Required wrote
scanner wrote
.  Excuse my ignorance but what would checking the oil reveal to me?
Sometimes something simple as having low oil can affect the vvt, thicker viscosity of oil too etc.
Yes, I am aware of the oil control valve, but would a bad valve, or low oil cause an 'EGR incomplete?'  It will most likely set some type of code ... but 'EGR incomplete?'

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

Calibration Required wrote
I didn't know that there was any type of CVVT monitoring
http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Where-is-the-EGR-tp5023793p5023815.html

In that particular post, I show where Techstream shows the Mode 6 VVT results.  It's under the EGR/VVT monitor.

what would checking the oil reveal to me?
Most engine platforms that use CVVT systems, use oil pressure to control the timing.   If the oil is low, the CVVT system may not operate properly, and perhaps set a code, or not run a monitor.

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

Decker wrote
Sometimes something simple as having low oil can affect the vvt, thicker viscosity of oil too etc.
Right.   Chrysler platforms that disable cylinders are touchy about what viscosity goes into the engine.

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

Calibration Required
I wasn't aware of a monitoring system for VVT, but there it is, thanks for the info, Scanner.

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

Any monitor can become "incomplete", as when the PCM loses memory or power.

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

BayAreaSmogTech
Calibration Required wrote
I just had one fail for incomplete EGR monitor, however the 3.8L does not nor did it ever come with an EGR.  I told her to call the dealer for any further info on this problem, she was told this 'EGR not complete' problem is common these 2010 3.8 liter.  I Sent her to the REF.

Anyone else run across this?

Had a customer with the same issue. I told him to take it back to the dealer. They charged him $200 to fix it which i assume was a reflash of his PCM.

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

Barry White
I had a customer with the same problem on a 2010 hyundai sedan with the 3.8. It had around 70k miles never had the battery die or a mil light. He took it to the dealer and they charged 200 to strap it on their dyno and drive 500 miles until the egr/vvt monitor completed. They took the belt off the dyno to decrease wear.
Smog technician in beautiful  San Dimas, ca

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

FiendFX
How are they gonna load the dyno if there is no belt?

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

Barry White wrote
They took the belt off the dyno to decrease wear.
That seems like a lot of work.

I can unload the dyno by flipping a switch to turn the electricity off to my dyno.     However, if I don't set a load on the dyno, it just freewheels anyway.

That said, I never had very much success performing non loaded dyno drive cycles to run readiness indicators.

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

none
Both of my ESP dynos have had bad bearings replaced. I could not imagine putting 500 miles on a car on my dyno to run monitors.

The first was on a roller and the last was the one in the center of the elctro-magnet. They had to replace the entire flywheel and eltro-magnet part (PAU) to the tune of $10,000 paid for by my service contract. It had been screaming for a few years and got to the point where you couldn't be on the phone if I was running a car on this one. Now I can't believe how quiet it is.

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

Barry White
Yeah it does sound fishy but he did show me the dealer invoice. "Run drive cycle. Attempted to run vehicle on wheel dollies then finished cycle on dyno w/ belt off.'' Wheel dollies? No way!
Smog technician in beautiful  San Dimas, ca

I just inspected a 2010 Hyundai Genesis 2.0L turbo.   It has an EGR Monitor, which was complete,  but the underhood label doesn't list EGR,  nor does it have an EGR Valve on the engine.   It has to be monitoring VVT.

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

FiendFX
I smogged a 2009 Dodge Ram1500, some models had EGR valves. This one did not but it did have an EGR monitor, wtf??

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

D Rochells 150861
It uses the VVT to produce an EGR effect.

Re: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

smwalker
Hey folks tell me what you guys think of this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-nHwQ8ASCl-b01JWG4wVUYySTA/view?usp=sharing

I gather from this document  that maybe these cars came with 4 different EMS systems across the different platforms and models.  If that is true why does only Melco have an entry line for the EGR readiness?

And am I reading that right that the EGR should complete within 5 minutes of cold start up just idling?

Got a Kia Borrego 3.8 with the stubborn EGR monitor.

12