2013 Smogcheck manual contradiction

Under visual inspections/aftermarket parts label in the 2013 Smogcheck Manual:

 A missing or illegible APL does not constitute an inspection failure.

But in the Smogcheck Reference guide under Appendix G:

If an EO number is not present and/or the wrong converter(s) is installed, the vehicle shall fail the catalyst visual inspection.

How would you interpret this?
The only thing about wearing a mask that bothers me is that the girls are a lot friendlier.

Re: 2013 Smogcheck manual contradiction

Citation Addict
If you can not varify whats on the car, or its application......Its a Fail.

Re: 2013 Smogcheck manual contradiction

Converter MUST have stamp, Headers must have stamp, everything else has stickers; if the sticker is missing on such things you can do part number to EO# with a little investigation. If you can't see the part number then a internet visual match to EO is ok, but it's your call. The problem with failing for missing sticker is that a ref or other shop might pass it and then the customer can complain to BAR, and if they agree part is legal they will ask you to refund the money to the customer.

Re: 2013 Smogcheck manual contradiction

007
NO, the proof is on the customer to prove it is legal not us, so if there is no EO# its a fail and the BAR is in agreement with that, in fact, no sticker or stamped part then it is a guess. If you have a problem with passing it or failing it send it down the road.

Re: 2013 Smogcheck manual contradiction

No, I'm pretty sure I'm right about this. Read the smog manuals enough and talked to BAR reps enough, had to give money back a few times too. Also 10 years with license and Master tech...

Re: 2013 Smogcheck manual contradiction

D wrote
Converter MUST have stamp, Headers must have stamp, everything else has stickers;
Doesn't matter if it is a sticker or a stamp. The way I read it, the EO stamped on a CAT is considered an APL, hence the contradiction.

"These requirements specify that Aftermarket Parts Labels (APL) must be affixed or stamped on approved/exempted parts"

The requirements for making the converters specify that it must be stamped, other things get stickers, missing sticker not grounds for failure, missing stamp is. No contradiction, just poorly stated and not geared to EO techs reading levels.

Re: 2013 Smogcheck manual contradiction

D wrote
The requirements for making the converters specify that it must be stamped, other things get stickers, missing sticker not grounds for failure, missing stamp is.
I could only find that a missing APL is not grounds for failure. The stamp on a CAT is an APL, is it not?
The only thing about wearing a mask that bothers me is that the girls are a lot friendlier.

Re: 2013 Smogcheck manual contradiction

Yes, but they specify that it must be there and in the correct format and size and installed so a tech can see it with "only a mirror and a flashlight".

Re: 2013 Smogcheck manual contradiction

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/amcatlabel.pdf

To get an EO from ARB on 2009+ cat, it must have the stamp in the correct format.

Re: 2013 Smogcheck manual contradiction

Monkey
New Label Requirements
The label on the catalytic converter shell must be 1⁄2 inch high and large enough to be read from a distance of 5 feet from either side of the vehicle. The label must show the EO, specific part number (universal or direct-fit) for the vehicle, and date of production (month and year). In assigning specific part numbers, manufacturers have taken into consideration each vehicles exhaust configuration, including the location of the oxygen sensors, pipe size, etc. Therefore, no modifications should be required to fit a catalytic converter on a vehicle other than weld it in, where necessary.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/exemptcat09.pdf

Re: 2013 Smogcheck manual contradiction

Just the Facts

Re: 2013 Smogcheck manual contradiction

To me, a key part of the argument would be the install date.  In the "4-hour" online course, there was mention of a customer that had a receipt proving the installation date, but it was not explicitly stated that it was required.  I see a lot of aftermarket cats in my neighborhood, and I've been forced to follow my instincts with regard to apparent date of install, since legible receipts are practically non-existent.  If I didn't, I would be blowing up my SVFR, blowing up my Abort %, and/or blowing up the Referee appointment hotline.