2018 Motor book?

mikesmobile
Is the component locator any good?
Evap locator any good?
This book any good?
If it's anything like the past editions, it's not worth the purchase.
Mike

Re: 2018 Motor book?

Best Answer I Can Give
The real question is, "Why do we need new books every year?"

 Back in the day when a vehicle took a hit and they fixed it with a new hood. A hood that did not come with a EPA Label, you NEEDED a book.
Today, destroy a hood. Pop the air bags. TOTAL.

 Plus with the Net. Who needs a book?

 To answer your question. Buy the cheapest. Buy what is required.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: 2018 Motor book?

mikesmobile
I would just like to have a COMPLETE component locator so that I can do my job properly and right now I don't know of any complete reference guide. None.
It's a shame we don't even have all the info we need to do our jobs 100%. If you know of any complete guide, I'd gladly subscribe, even if I had to pay every year for it. The last MOTOR books i've purchased are like throwing money away, not complete at all and full of errors, call them and ask them about it, and they don't care.
There's an opportunity there for a COMPLETE smog guide.
Mike

Re: 2018 Motor book?

none
ALLDATA seems the best to me but its not cheap. I have Mitchel PRODEMAND now because I share a subscription. It isn't anywhere near as good as ALLDATA for locations and repair info if you ask me.

Re: 2018 Motor book?

mikesmobile
We use Alldata....
It's not a complete locator as far as I can tell.
Which sections do you find most helpful for inspections?
Mike

Re: 2018 Motor book?

none
mikesmobile wrote
We use Alldata....
It's not a complete locator as far as I can tell.
Which sections do you find most helpful for inspections?
Evap canister R&R to figure out where the canister is on some cars.

Re: 2018 Motor book?

What components do you have trouble with as an example?

Re: 2018 Motor book?

909Wrench
You would think with digital cameras and the internet, all the inspectors working together could make the best smog reference manual available.  Kind of like Wikipedia where we could add to it as necessary and fix errors instantly.  It could include tips and even videos.  If we started 10-15 years ago, and many participated, it would be amazing by now.  Then we could say goodbye to Motor and Mitchell.  Oh to dream...

Re: 2018 Motor book?

When I get my forehead camera for Christmas, I'm going to document and upload most if not all of my inspections, and if I can get some good still captures I'm going to upload them to SmogWiki.com in the appropriate sections.

Re: 2018 Motor book?

stopstar1234
I have both 2018 motor and 2018 Mitchell HANDS DOWN TO MOTOR still sucks but 200% better.. the Mitchell is just going to be some expensive fireplace starter

Re: 2018 Motor book?

mikesmobile
smogwiki.com is what your thinking about but no one is contributing to it as far as I can tell Michael Barry is the only tech that has contributed anything to the site aside from the admin there.
Mike

Re: 2018 Motor book?

mikesmobile
Mainly evap locations.
Alldata and Motor are both bad references for evap locators, Motor especially but Alldata isn't much better.
Mike

Re: 2018 Motor book?

mikesmobile
Michael,
You should start a youtube channel if you haven't already.
Uploads your vids there...
Mike

Re: 2018 Motor book?

You have to use ALLDATA like you are a mechanic. I was lucky to have ALLDATA and work as a repair tech before doing Test Only. Nothing teaches you how to inspect a car like actually tearing one down. I do not think people who have not wrenched should be inspecting honestly.

None of these products were intended to be used by people performing emissions inspections in a fast paced private business environment with BAR UC's. You know why? Doing fast paced emissions inspections in a private business with UCs to worry about is NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Re: 2018 Motor book?

none
D wrote
You have to use ALLDATA like you are a mechanic...
I agree, and I should have explained that more when people were referring to component location. When I try to find out where an evap canister is I look up evaporative emissions control canister R&R.

D wrote
... Nothing teaches you how to inspect a car like actually tearing one down. I do not think people who have not wrenched should be inspecting honestly...
I know this might sound mean, but I completely agree with that statement. I'm not perfect but I am better than I would be if I hadn't been a mechanic first and had to diagnose these systems.

Re: 2018 Motor book?

I don't think you are being mean, you have a lot of experience and probably would do a better job of handing out licenses than anyone who has ever worked for BAR licensing.

If it affects public health then we want people who are willing and able to do the job right. The current license program does not assess either of those qualities.

Re: 2018 Motor book?

mikesmobile
I don't think there should be an inspection program without  a COMPLETE guide,
we don't have a complete guide.
That's a shame.

Mike

Re: 2018 Motor book?

Buried in the old legislature there is something about BAR providing such a guide, I guess they chickened out.

Re: 2018 Motor book?

mikesmobile
Best place to purchase this MOTOR 2018 book?
Mike

Re: 2018 Motor book?

none
mikesmobile wrote
We use Alldata....
mikesmobile wrote
Best place to purchase this MOTOR 2018 book?
The information that you will get in the MOTOR BOOK is what is in ALLDATA. Go to "Power train management"> left column > "Application and ID"