2019 Slow

s94m
Had a good couple of days to start off January. Since then, its been dead slow. How's everyone else doing?

Re: 2019 Slow

s94m
Does anyone think the government shutdown is affecting the smog business?

Re: 2019 Slow

first two weeks were better then dec, been raining all week weather effects business around here, shutdown no effect.  gov building around here running

Re: 2019 Slow

Evil Morty
slow too, this morning looks like its picking up
This seems like a good time for a drink and a cold, calculated speech with sinister overtones.

Re: 2019 Slow

none
It has been really busy here (East of Sacramento) since mid December. The rain has slowed down business the last three days.

Re: 2019 Slow

A nasty storm went through here on Wednesday, but that's the only day so far this year that I would call dead slow.  BAR-97 inspections are 21/35 and OIS inspections  are 56/76 so far this year.  I'm going to miss work tomorrow because I finally got my EI update class with Don Buckey this weekend.

Re: 2019 Slow

STAR is Racist
Been busy here since the next town over burned down.

Re: 2019 Slow

Rain brings in all the construction and landscaping workers.

Re: 2019 Slow

those 2 days of heavy rain were slow but so far not too bad for no 2013's.
Bunch of plumpy hens stop overeating!

Re: 2019 Slow

Peter
Already missing 2013 vehicles. Next year 2020 will be even more worse. Already business is down by 10% for test only stations. F---You Bar.

Re: 2019 Slow

manboobs
30+ every day since the 14th. Today is the first day it has been dead all morning

Re: 2019 Slow

Peter
Wait more dead are coming boobs. Better run

Re: 2019 Slow

none
I think it really depends on the area how much the 8-year exemption hits you. I have been really busy BUT I see a lot of diesels here which don't get the exemption nor do change of ownership. I also see a lot more BAR 97 tests even though I raised my price on those substantially since quite a few shops in my area dropped their BAR97.

If this was a wealthier area where most people drove seven year old or newer cars I'm sure I would be greatly affected too. Most new vehicles I see are diesel trucks that the horse owners buy.

Re: 2019 Slowdid

Peter:
From what I know, the California B.A.R. Did Not want the 8-year exemption.
The California Legislation voted it in to get more Smog Abatement Fees.

Re: 2019 Slowdid

kfworry
To Feed The Pot for the C.A.P.

Re: 2019 Slowdid

kfworry wrote
Peter:
From what I know, the California B.A.R. Did Not want the 8-year exemption.
BAR was publicly opposed to the legislation, at least they stated so on the CalARC site.   It took away the certificate fee from them.   It took the opportunity for us to smog those vehicles.

The California Legislation voted it in to get more Smog Abatement Fees.
They sent the money to AQMD to fund their projects.  They thought it was a better bang for the money.

Re: 2019 Slowdid

xcinlb
Year to date we are slower this year than last year. Last year was a good year for us. What do you guys do to get more business? Advertise with coupons like Valpak? or local magazines?

Re: 2019 Slowdid

none
For me it is always slow in April so what do I do? I close up for a week and go on vacation.

Re: 2019 Slowdid

none
In all seriousness though, coupons don't work for me. The only one who makes money is the coupon company and it brings in the bottom feeders with junk cars who are time sponges too.

Banners are the best bang for the buck for me but I can only leave them up for a couple of weeks before the city gets on me.

Re: 2019 Slowdid

xcinlb
Yea, the city makes us take them down after 6 months or when ever they drive by. I haven't used coupons in a few years. If can get a good deal, I may try them again. Maybe mail readers won't be Yelping like crazy giving crap reviews because their car failed. Just happened ! ugh.
1234