78 Ford F250

jvolman
78 F250
FED Cert
7900 LBS
6.6L
Manual

Book said no cat but his mechanic said cat.  I think he failed to mention the weight to his mechanic.  Just seeing what the rest say

Re: 78 Ford F250

BasicTech678
6001 or more fed no cat required

what is his mechanic trying to accomplish up selling a cat?

Re: 78 Ford F250

jvolman
long story short he went to 2 smog places before me both who said he needed a cat and failed him for it.  Then mechanic told him the other techs were right.  he wasnt too happy when i failed it for having a cat.  Showed him my sources pointed to me being right, gave him ref info

Re: 78 Ford F250

jvolman
customer also said truck always passed before without cat cleanly with no problems till now

Re: 78 Ford F250

No need to put license # on this site, but could you run the license and see what bullshit the customer says of it always passing.
When I know I have a problem child fail I run the vehicle history and print it prior to my talk with the customer.

Re: 78 Ford F250

jvolman
Customer wasnt an asshole just visibly frustrated with the situation.  I didnt bother to run it becaue the guy wasnt giving me a hard time especially when i showed him my proof.  I guess no one else did.  Evidently the others couldnt drive stick very well or open the hood.

Re: 78 Ford F250

D Rochells 150861
I told him to go to the ref. I told him too it should not have a cat based on the book. I was hoping he could get a ref label so he doesn't go through this every 2 years. The other tech where I work is very bad with book reading. I failed a 95 F250 yesterday for only having 1 cat, an ex tech passed it last year.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: 78 Ford F250

jvolman
D wrote
I told him to go to the ref. I told him too it should not have a cat based on the book. I was hoping he could get a ref label so he doesn't go through this every 2 years. The other tech where I work is very bad with book reading. I failed a 95 F250 yesterday for only having 1 cat, an ex tech passed it last year.
I doubt he will Didnt seem to like the idea of getting the ref involved for fear of some government conspiracy as he said

Re: 78 Ford F250

jvolman
back now with no cat

Re: 78 Ford F250

Best Answer I Can Give
 The wealth of info that dies when a person dies.

 Federal and California that year did not have CAT's.

 As a rule of thumb. Until they went FI no CAT's

Re: 78 Ford F250

jvolman

Best Answer I Can Give wrote
The wealth of info that dies when a person dies.

 Federal and California that year did not have CAT's.

 As a rule of thumb. Until they went FI no CAT's
actually it depended on the GVWR of the vehicle not fed or cali cert

Re: 78 Ford F250

Best Answer I Can Give
 True on the GM, but 99.9999999999999% of the fords I have seen are well above the GVWR line. Rule of thumb.