9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

smogsterReseda
ORIGINAL POST LINK : http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/02/04/9-accused-of-falsely-certifying-smog-check-tests-at-south-la-shop/

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Nine people connected to a South Los Angeles smog-check shop are accused of conducting hundreds of fraudulent inspections that falsely certified vehicles had passed emissions tests.

A 44-count federal indictment filed Tuesday focuses on some 1,300 inspections performed by Smogz R Us.

The defendants face charges including conspiracy and various counts of making false statements.

Prosecutors say the nine men and women violated the Clean Air Act by allowing polluting vehicles to pass when different cars and trucks had actually been tested.

The defendants, who range in age from 23 to 67, will be arraigned in the coming weeks.

(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

My Name is Nobody

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

Troll
very nice work all you pr1's, 2's, 3's and star engineers.
thanks for keeping us safe.
oh yea-so much for the online pos update course given showing us fighting the battle.
Now that's condensending!!!!!

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

At least one of the defendants (Alvarez) has a very nice FuPR history.

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

smwalker
Good to see the number of women charged is so high. Can't blame our industry of sexism.

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

Truly cant blame the family.  They saw that there was ZERO ENFORCEMENT, and said
why not. Nobody'swatching or caring.  The problem lies solely with ALL higher ups at Bar.  -Enforcement,
 star dept, licensing, field office managers, CHIEF.  All above insist on accountability from us, but not from themselves.  SHAME ON THEM. I suggest that all bathroom stall doors be removed at all Bar offices until this case is closed. Maybe then they can comprehend the enourmity of their fuckup.
and just for the record- there's already plenty of friends/inlaws taking over where these cleanpipers left off.
ps- im still pissed at recent pr1 visit to us on hybrid failing monitors, and asking for money back -fucking nerve!!!!- that fat fucker should of told customer that;s the way it is.

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

Condensending wrote
ps- im still pissed at recent pr1 visit to us on hybrid failing monitors, and asking for money back -fucking nerve!!!!- that fat fucker should of told customer that;s the way it is.

Someone from your local BAR office went to your shop to try to get a refund for a consumer that didn't pass their smog inspection?    That was the only issue the PR1 had with your shop?

I would have politely declined to return any money to the consumer for a properly performed contracted inspection.

What did the PR1 say the problem was with the transaction other than the readiness indicators were not complete?

If that was the only issue, there was no reason for that PR1 to visit your shop, and the consumer should have been informed that you had done your job properly.

It would be funny to find out that the consumer went elsewhere and had their vehicle "clean plugged"  I'd ask that same PR1 to look at the data OIS put up, and see if the VINs match.

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

Decker

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

Condensending wrote
very nice work all you pr1's, 2's, 3's and star engineers.
thanks for keeping us safe.
oh yea-so much for the online pos update course given showing us fighting the battle.
Now that's condensending!!!!!
This isn't BAR, it's a Federal case.

A 44-count federal indictment filed Tuesday focuses on some 1,300 inspections performed by Smogz R Us.

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

 I think what Mr. Condensending, was trying to say is what I have been thinking about since i read about this.

 1300. That's 13 hundred vehicle. One thousand three hundred, vehicles. THAT'S 1300 people that got FUCKED. Plain out Blued, Screwed, and Tattooed.

 The BAR got to pat themselves on the back, let 1300 people get FUCKED. Plain out fucked, out of there hard earned money. They had those clowns at ten cars. NO BIGGER HEADLINES 1300!!!!!, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

 Yes the shop was and is a screw up. Plus most likely the cousin will be back in business in 6 months, doing the same thing. Yes they screwed a bunch of people, but the BAR FUCK those same people just to look good in the eye of the public.

 1300 vehicles, damn dudes, you expected not to get caught? Some of those clowns were on there second go around.
So of those clowns were ordered never to do or be around the check program again, and there right back at it.
The Judge should be asking the BAR how this is possible.

 The media would not have given a rat's ass about 10.The BAR made "Headlines" at the expense of 1290 people they are to protect.

 Good Lord the people are stupid. These people will not pay the fine. They will hide under a different SS number. $50 to $500 get's you a whole new set of ID. Hell they just may skip the country. They made  there kill at the expense of the public.
They only got them on 1300 how many more did they do before BAR found out?

 Mr. C the problem, Yes is with the higher up of the BAR. But higher up than that. Thanks to older BAR Chief the BAR budget got cut to hell.
At one point close to 3000 BAR workers, now last I heard less than 600.

 A lot of this also goes back to the higher up at the BAR, they would not listen to the guys in the field, who were telling and proving to the PR1 how wrong there thinking was.
And that thinking being, We are in charge we know more than you.

 One thing I have been saying all along, take the time and talk and listen to those who do this daily.

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

Condescending , the BAR cannot Make you give money back .Did you give the customer his money back ? I hope not , you should of told that BAR rep that he do his job and let you do yours .

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

D wrote
I'm curious what would happen if all BAR employess were sent to work doing smogs in dirty poorly setup shops by themselves for $20 hr with no benefits, with cheap ass bosses who don't fix things.
They would probably find a better shop to work at or open their own.

D, you have vented many times on here about shop owners not being fair. Maybe it is time for you to open your own. I hear there is a shop available in South Los Angeles on West 54th Street.

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

Johnnybeme
I like the idea! I will put a PR to work right away? Should be a great work experience!

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

Skanga
So there's at least 1,300 vehicles out there polluting the city? Bummer. But hey...how about taking all the money and effort it's gonna take to convict these peeps and instead use it to incarcerate the assholes that are responsible for the Porter Ranch methane leak that's causing the pollution equivalent of 4 MILLION CARS A DAY?

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

cosmokramertheassman
I'd say there's probably a good portion of those vehicles that didn't even need a clean-plugging. I bet lots were just scared consumers who'd rather pay extra for a guaranteed result instead of "risking it" on their vehicle that would most likely pass. I get those types of consumers into my shop regularly.

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

1,300 inspections done by cleanpiping ? Or are they looking at 1300 and are trying to weed out which one was done correctly and which one was clean piped ? If it is 1300 fraudulent inspections, thats a lot of pollution  ! wow , why would the BAR let it go for that long ?
   I agree Skanga , those folks will probably be fined a 6 to 7 figure fine ,and then allowed to go on polluting .

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

all those vehicles were illegal smogs.
that's the demographics, and mindset of the area.
1300 times $250-500 per smog =  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
How bout Rocky doing his x y z graph of pollutants or cash, vs dope, vs illegal payouts.
and for sure- its not stopping-insteadthe price just went up, cause "Somebody's watching"

Re: 9 Accused Of Falsely Certifying Smog Check Tests At South LA Shop

cosmokramertheassman
I understand they were all illegal inspections. I'm simply stating, due to personal experiences with customers here at my shop, that I'm almost certain at least some of those 1,300 didn't actually need a clean plugging. Maybe a friend told a friend that if they're worried about passing smog, take it to these guys.

I've had many people come in saying they need an illegal smog when in reality they don't.

Nevertheless, these guys are asshats. These are the shops that give the rest of us a bad rep.
12