90s BMW and HC problems

Lose weight
Is there some common problem with most BMWs failing for HC's? Sort of like older jeeps always failing for NOX

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

Don't drive like a pansy on the dyno, beat the shit out of that throttle until you get to ASM speed.
iha

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

iha
What is the fix for the older jeeps with high NOX?

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

Water injection does not need an EO, meanwhile everybody around here wants to change the cat first.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

 The trick I found is ( and most likely I didn't get my STAR for a year) HOT On a SPX and a Sun before tire drying you can run up the Dyno and it will not count up. 2 Minutes in first gear, pull the auto down to first. @ 2500 for 2. Then run the test.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

locopoco
Tell the owner to drive a spirited drive and get the cat warmed up(oh sh*t did I say that) and then drive straight on the dyno and start the test.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

Exhaust valve seats are an issue with higher miles on the DOHC engines.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

I decided years ago that I don't care enough about whether some worn-out POS passes or not to super-heat.  If it wants to pass, I let it.  If it wants to fail, I let it.  I don't have a satisfactory answer for every problem presented, and I can't fix everything that's broken ... and I'm comfortable with that.  If a customer has a problem with my limitations, I have no problem punting, and if my boss has a problem with my limitations, I have no problem suggesting that he replace me with someone smarter, faster, and/or luckier.  Still here, 16 years next month.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

I just do the BAR-specified pre-condition: 3 minutes @ 2500 and 1 minute to stabilize.  Mommy so proud of her big boy!

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

It does not say to do that.

"Verify the vehicle is warmed up to normal operating temperature. If the vehicle is not at
normal operating temperature, the vehicle may either be idled (low idle) or driven
normally as necessary to achieve normal operating temperature.
Normal operating
temperature may be confirmed in one of the following ways:
- The coolant temperature gauge shows normal operating temperature;
- The upper and lower radiator hoses are hot and appropriately pressurized;
- When applicable, the electric cooling fan cycles on at idle.
Once at normal operating temperature, continuously operate the engine at low idle for at
least 3 minutes immediately prior to the tailpipe emissions inspection.

Inspectors shall not attempt to superheat the catalyst. Do not increase the engine
RPM or load during the 3-minute idle period or during the tailpipe emissions
inspection sequences except as necessary to perform the initial visible smoke snap
test as described in Appendix A. Any methods used to artificially increase catalyst
temperature are prohibited.

Short form

1.Gauge shows hot, electric fan cycles or rad hoses hot and pressurized?
   Yes go to step 2
   No got to step 3

2. idle for 3 minutes and proceed with emissions portion

3. Low idle or drive normally and repeat step 1 until preconditions met.*

*This means legally we should not test vehicles that don't warm up.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

tampered wrote
I just do the BAR-specified pre-condition: 3 minutes @ 2500 and 1 minute to stabilize.  Mommy so proud of her big boy!
This would get a Toyota 3.4L V6 with a slow O2 sensor to pass for NOx but it didn't FIX the problem with the slow O2.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

Best Answer I Can Give
 My question to you is, and this will sound like I am a complete ass. WHY DO YOU CARE?

 I did and it cost me my STAR the first year. Fucked up, ain't it? Try to be helpfully and the State shoves it up your ass.

 You get it HOT, it passes. Within 2 years it could come back and bite you in the ass.

 So you are trying to build a shop. Trying to be a nice guy, No You are cheating.
Most likely you should be selling O2 and a CAT. But that BMW has @200 K on it. The work is @ $700 and it's some young girl who owns here dream car. So you try and be the nice guy and get FUCKED. Screwed up AIN'T IT.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

Well now I just let it fail, and tell the customer to come  back on another day with it properly warmed up. That way everybody's happy.

Our test is a joke anyway, cars need to be tested under more real world conditions to see what they are really emitting.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

scanner
D wrote
Our test is a joke anyway, cars need to be tested under more real world conditions to see what they are really emitting.

If "D" were King, what test would you implement?  Some variation of IM240?  Obviously we wouldn't be able to do mass measurements.

How about having the tail pipe tested vehicles go centralized, and do a real IM240?   Anyone can still do repairs using current tooling.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

My question to you is, and this will sound like I am a complete ass. WHY DO YOU CARE?

Was this directed at me or the other guys chatting? I got a customer with a 95 5 series, 1st test failed for 50 hc's over limit.Took to shop did some work and it's now 100 hc's over limit. The more work he get's done on it the higher the reading, must be a parts thrower shop doing the work.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

My Name is Nobody
Lose weight wrote
Is there some common problem with most BMWs failing for HC's? Sort of like older jeeps always failing for NOX
O2 sensor majority of the times.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

Best Answer I Can Give
 Lose Weight, you asked so you could say it was directed at you, BUT no.

 It was directed at the whole program. Now that you have put down more, it make sense. But it also goes back to  "Why do you care?"
Two years from now it could bite you in the ass.
Hell you are trying to be a nice guy and help. In the eyes of the BAR you are just cheating. You made it go thru, it fails it's next cycle so you must have cheated 2 years ago.

 It was directed at all of us who try to be the good guy and help. A PR told me " If you were a good guy, you didn't get your STAR"

 Hell I BELIEVE in helping people out. KARMA, What goes around comes around. You want to keep your STAR ? You have to forget all that. AND THAT SUCKS
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

Centralized with Im240 and diurnal to start. But I think the simplest most effective approach is to remove pre 2000 vehicles from the road. I would also give tax breaks and other economic incentives to people who do not commute excessive distances.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

 some young girl who owns here dream car. So you try and be the nice guy and get F----D. Screwed up AIN'T IT.
So she flutters her eyelashes and plays poor me.
Best Answer I Can Give wrote
 You get it HOT, it passes. Within 2 years it could come back and bite you in the ass.
She should have bought a Corolla instead if she can't afford a BMW. Champagne taste on a Budweiser budget.
Best Answer I Can Give wrote
 WHY DO YOU CARE?
That is exactly right. If they won't spend the time and money to repair their car then why should you risk your  star (money) to help them.

I put all your statements in the reverse order of how you posted them.

Re: 90s BMW and HC problems

...Hell you are trying to be a nice guy and help. In the eyes of the BAR you are just cheating...
You were cheating.