91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

bizarsmog
 I had a 91 miata ,air bag light on when I connect jumper wire btw TEN$GND terminals, Is it normal reaction or something doing wrong ? after the test still air bag light on ,
 thanks

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

ThePharmacist-2

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

bizarsmog
timing check,

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

ThePharmacist-2

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

D Rochells 150861
Good joke! 12mm bolt behind the head on the camshaft position sensor adjusts timing.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

bizarsmog
D, how do you check timing this model year miatas, diagnostic box or blue connector

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

I put the jumper wire in the box and use the blue connector (very carefully) for battery positive.

NOTE: On this distributorless ignition (DLI) system, ignition coil discharge is bipolar -- #1 and #3 plug wire terminals are negative, #2 and #4 are positive. If the inductive pick-up on your timing light has an arrow indicating polarity (which side should be facing the spark plug) and the light does not flash or only flashes intermittently when clipped on the spark plug wire, simply reverse the pick-up (clip pick-up on with arrow facing the coil rather than the spark plug). The light should now flash with each coil discharge. If not, check timing light operation on a conventional ignition system.

PREPARATION

Adjustment Preparation

CAUTION: Be extremely careful when making connections to the diagnosis connector. Incorrect connections will cause component damage.

Warm engine to operating temperature.
Turn all electrical loads "OFF."
Check engine condition (spark plugs, hoses, etc.)
If using Mazda System Selector (SST #49 B019 9A0), connect to diagnosis connector. Set test switch to "SELF-TEST" position. If SST is not used, install a jumper wire between diagnosis connector "TEN" and "GND" terminals.
Connect timing light to diagnosis connector terminal IG-.
NOTE: When using an externally powered tachometer and/or timing light, connect it to the power connector (Blue: 1-pin). Do not ground power connector or 20A wiper fuse will blow.

ADJUSTMENT

Idle Speed Adjustment

Check idle speed. If not within specification, adjust as necessary by turning air adjusting screw.
850 ±50 rpm

Verify that timing mark (yellow) on crank pulley and timing belt cover are aligned:
Timing Adjustment

10°±1°BTDC (M/T)
8°±1°BTDC (A/T)

If not, loosen crank angle sensor lock bolt and turn sensor to adjust.
Tighten crank angle sensor lock bolt to 19 - 25 Nm (14 - 19 ft lb).
After adjustment, disconnect SST or remove jumper wire from diagnosis connector.
Rev engine and verify that timing advances.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

ThePharmacist-2

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

D Rochells 150861
That doesn't mean anything. No where in the book does it say DIS means don't check it. It is adjustable. 95% of techs are making a mistake.

זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

ThePharmacist-2

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

D Rochells 150861
No, if 95% of you are putting NA, then BAR makes the ASSumption that it is NA and you guys don't get dinged.

If we all got together and decided to put NA on every vehicle we test then no one would get dinged for anything.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

ThePharmacist-2

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

D Rochells 150861
We all have opinions, as a professional mechanic I know it is adjustable and I will continue to check them. I have been told by the BAR that we must check them. This was before STAR. You are free to do what you feel is right, as are the rest of us.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

ThePharmacist wrote
Okay if 95% of the techs are making a mistake than we would see a lot more people get dinged for putting Not Adjustable Timing on those OBD1 miatas
I doubt you will get ding'ed for not checking timing on this platform.

The fact is, the timing is adjustable.   I had a Miata come in for a NOx failure.   The tech that failed the vehicle didn't check the timing.    As I recall, it was off ~~ +10°.   The consumer fancied himself as a street racer, and thought bumping the timing would get him more performance.   As D stated, you can move the cam sensor housing on the back of the head to adjust the timing.

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

D Rochells 150861
It will get a little more fun full advance. Had one in the shop for a month after an engine install, everytime I took it to lunch I turned it up all the way. They have trouble spinning the rollers if it's too retarded. We couldn't get the NOx down on that one for some reason even at spec. I tried to slip it past the Test Only gut once with it slightly too retarded but the tech was too honest. I was pretty bad back then at diagnostics.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

I belong to the 5% who check them.  '95 and older Infinissans with COP and adjustable cam sensors too.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

D Rochells 150861
The few, the proud. I used to kick out Suzuki Grand Vitaras cause one needs a factory scanner to get to base timing mode.

Vanagons though, I play dumb and follow the sheeptechs and put NA on those.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

fartvalve
How about the older Acura Legend with the cop and adjustable timing. Pop that cover off the firewall.
Those funky ones take forever and I check them. I just tell the owners that it will take longer
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

scanner
fartvalve wrote
How about the older Acura Legend with the cop and adjustable timing. Pop that cover off the firewall.
Those funky ones take forever and I check them. I just tell the owners that it will take longer
Those are adjustable, we discussed that recently.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/What-would-you-do-tp5040254.html

Re: 91 Mazda Miata air bag light On

bizarsmog
thanks D