95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Evaponly818

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Evaponly818

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

smog frogposter
Evaponly818 wrote
2019 Motor book is saying in the rear near the tank. All data is saying up in the front near the radiator
Did you verify that the Evap canister is located in the rear and not in the engine compartment where you can access it? If it is in the rear or under the chassis the functional test is not applicable. Verify that the timing is adjustable and is not a distributorless ignition system. If the timing is adjustable you should be able to have a small window to see the timing marks designed by the manufacturer but you have to know where to look.

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Can't remember if this is the vehicle under question, but on one of those similar vans you're supposed to remove the "removable expansion tank" and put it to the side in order to have enough space to view the timing marks. It's on the driver side so it must be a GM van.

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

ThePharmacist
It depends, there are vehicles where the evap canister is underneath and it would still be testable. My rule of thumb if it's testable based of your own judgement then why not test it?

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Smokey-cheken

The canister is on the left side of pix behind radiator cap and the timing is checked by the right side after sliding out  windshield wiper bottle. very crowded though

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Evaponly818

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Best Answer I Can Give
 I wish you people would READ how the program WORKS.

 It is not what is RIGHT or WRONG, it is what the 90% does.

 If 90% of us test the Evap or do the Timing on that type of vehicle, then it should be DONE.

 BAR does not KNOW what is what. It is What do 90% of the shops do?

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Evaponly818 wrote
Soo since the windshield wiper bottle needs to be moved I’m assuming removing a screw or two, then the timing check isn’t technically needed?
It just slides out, and you leave the hose and wiring connected.  You have a straight shot to the timing indicator.

It's easier to pinch the evap hose from the bottom.  Sometimes you can't get the pliers to open enough to pinch from above.

Why don't you give your opinion as to what you would do?  You keep saying the same thing over and over again.  Does that help the original poster get through the smog inspection?   Do you think he cares what you think about how the program is run?

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Evaponly818 wrote
Soo since the windshield wiper bottle needs to be moved I’m assuming removing a screw or two, then the timing check isn’t technically needed?
Why would you say that the timing check isn't needed though even if it involved some tools?

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Evaponly818

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

none
Evaponly818 wrote
Mainly for the reason about the evap saying that there should be  no dismantling to check for evap canister, I somehow incorporate that into anything else. In my mind I shouldn’t have to be moving or removing things but, I’m wrong. This is why I ask questions

** off topic ** When I was taking the smog class my instructor said that if any car had the canister in the rear it was NOT needed to check for it visually, I believe he said this when he was speaking about OIS
I will post a picture of a Dakota canister that has a big hole in it. It is an under cover that my tech missed.

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Evaponly818

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

dcf1ver
Evaponly818 wrote
** off topic ** When I was taking the smog class my instructor said that if any car had the canister in the rear it was NOT needed to check for it visually, I believe he said this when he was speaking about OIS
Im not so sure about that. Just about every vehicle from 2000 and up has the canister in the rear or under the vehicle(in the center)

Pretty sure you have to check that.....

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Evaponly818 wrote
Wow seriously, I’d like to see it

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Evaponly818

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Easy peasy once hump is off.
Honestly- you may want to work with a journeyman for a year in a busy test only to bring you up to  proper testing speed.
I honestly don't intend or wish to berate ya.
Maybe my standards are too high.
I don't think so.
PS- remove the washer tank.
Don't be afraid to get on your back for evap.

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Evaponly818 wrote
Wow seriously, I’d like to see it

Re: 95’ GMC G2500 Vandura

Best Answer I Can Give
 Ok Scanner, you want my "What I would do?"

 DO THE JOB YOU ARE PAID TO DO.
I came up with a tool that gets to the lines without doing a ton of extra work. So you have to move or do something to check the timing. Are you being PAID to check the timing? Then STOP complaining, use your head and figure out how to do the job. Don't jump on this site because you can't figure it out.

 Simple, don't check that stuff. If you get a ding, you KNOW you should next time.

 Jumping on here because you are not using your head? THINK. Plus if you KNOW how the UC program works you would not be asking questions like this.

 You guys KILL ME. SLOW Well it is slow because to many shops who have NO idea of what they are doing are taking away the stuff you should be doing. And you guys KEEP HELPING THEM.

 Us old guy KNOW this shit, WHY? Because we got off our ass, looked in the books, and figured things out.
Helping some one just takes money out of your pocket. YOU guys just keep doing it.