96-99 Toyota Camry No Communication

Peter
This post was updated on .
Hi All
I have seen few 96-99 Toyota Camrys with no communication with BAR 97 (ESP). There is power at the DLC but no rpm with communication error. Any quick fixes to this issue. Any help highly appreciated. Thanks and a HAppy New Year.

Re: 96-99 Toyota Camry No Communication

D Rochells 150861
What type of POS BAR97 are we talking about here? If there is no com at the obd check, switch to probe RPM and see if it communicates after ASM. If it doesn't, let it fail.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: 96-99 Toyota Camry No Communication

Peter

I think you mean 96 and 97 toyotas. These were in limbo about OBD2 and require an adapter.

Re: 96-99 Toyota Camry No Communication

All of the '96 and '97 Toyotas I have ever seen were fully OBD-2 compliant.  Some of them didn't have EVAP monitors, but they all still communicated with generic OBD-2 scanners and/or code readers with no adapters needed.  I believe the problem is that a lot of them have two (interior) DLCs, and it is easier to find the round DLC under the dash than it is to find the OBD-2 DLC behind the coin door near the driver's left knee (at least in the case of the Camry).

Re: 96-99 Toyota Camry No Communication

joemister
I find that some of those toyota dlc are very loose when you plug in the bar97 cable, have to hold it at certain angle to get a reading

Re: 96-99 Toyota Camry No Communication

Kevin
I had forgot most one myself and tell about 10 minutes ago I had a 1996 Toyota Camry with 4 cylinder  come in for smog.the obd2 was located around  left knee that if you remove  The panel it's to the sight of it and located right next to the fuse Box

Re: 96-99 Toyota Camry No Communication

fartvalve
For what it’s worth. Look at the connector closely. I had a few Toyota camrys with pins pushed back.
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: 96-99 Toyota Camry No Communication

Jeff
Toyota's OBD2 connect pins get loose.
Used  tach lead to start with, then use the obd connector to do the data download.
Hold the connector straight or Drape it over the steering column to acheave a tight fit.
DONE !