96 - 99 no timing

Smog man
Is the timing check and gas cap really exempt now for 96 - 99 vehicles? Feels weird... So we won't get dinged for not checking timing? If a mechanic retards the timing to pass emissions, thats ok and considered a repair now?

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance

Re: 96 - 99 no timing

cosmokramertheassman
True. Feels weird, but that's what the new manual states.

Re: 96 - 99 no timing

A smog technician cannot alter timing from spec. A so called mechanic not certified can do what he pleases, go figure.

Re: 96 - 99 no timing

smogman
So if the timing was correct but a car fails for high nox, the customer can come back with the retarded timing to pass the inspection? The damn vehicle has no damn power and I know they are gonna put the timing back once they pass smog....weird

I understand when a vehicle comes in for a smog fail repair, us techs can not mess with the timing like that to pass it but it's ok if others bring their car in like that? That's like you're knowingly passing a car with a retarded timing...
Ee

Re: 96 - 99 no timing

Ee
Its like clearing a code for EVAP  without fixing it, car comes back with all monitors set except for EVAP, you pass it and the light comes back and fails next cycle.  I AM  Star certified,  Ase certified, I do proper repairs, I will never retard timing to get it to pass, or clear codes with out fixing it first. That's me though, the people who  will do this  are the same people who just cleared codes, and complain  about low FPR. So if you deal with dealers, or backyard mechanics, this is the new trick, and expect FPR hit, because we all now they will advance the timing when it passes.

Re: 96 - 99 no timing

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the timing is too retarded the vehicle wouldn't even make it to 25 mph in the required time and resters/aborts. and retarding the timing a bit wont be enough to pass most hoopty's on nox problems.

Re: 96 - 99 no timing

007
Yes you can retard the timing to lower the NOX, but if you retard the timing to much the CO levels may increase to the fail point, so there will be a fine line where to set the timing. As far as the vehicle going through the 25 mph test, will probably not be an effect, how many Toyota's fail timing because the throttle switch is out of adjustment and the mechanic retards the timing instead of adjusting the switch  (because they lack the experience) and the vehicle test no problem at 25mph and the vehicle is way retarded.

Re: 96 - 99 no timing

It's reverse psychology. This way the mechanics will learn how futile it is to misadjust timing instead of fixing the problem and learn the importance of proper diagnosis and setting to factory specs.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!