98 chevy 1500 truck obd2 question

dmlusmc
I got this 98 federal certified chevy truck 1500 yesterday and when checking monitors i noticed 5 said not supported and just 3 continuous were and 1 catalyst monitor after the tailpipe test i did not ask for an obd2 test, are some of these non obd2? it was a truck not a motorhome

Re: 98 chevy 1500 truck obd2 question

GrossPolluter
What was the weight on it? May be the weight was entered in incorrectly?

I never heard of a Chevy pickup that is Federal certify that bypasses the ODB functional test before. I know on Ford Federal Certification Trucks/Vans that are 8000+ GVWR bypasses the OBD automatically.

I was told, the federal cert vehicles on the Fords, there is no oxygen sensor after the cat to monitor it catalyst efficiency

Re: 98 chevy 1500 truck obd2 question

My question is did you look at the ECS label to see if is was OBD I or OBD II ??

Re: 98 chevy 1500 truck obd2 question

Centralized Smog
1500s are light duty and should require obd check even if it is federal. Double check the gvwr that you enter. If you enter it incorrectly and it is high, it will go to tsi and skip the obd check.

Re: 98 chevy 1500 truck obd2 question

STAR is Racist
You shouldn't have skipped the obd test. The EIS would have passed for monitor readiness. You are not required to check for monitor readiness so it's not your problem if the parameters are changed.

Re: 98 chevy 1500 truck obd2 question

justa
Banned User

Re: 98 chevy 1500 truck obd2 question

deviationmaster
i have never seen a 1998 chevy bypass an obd2 test automatically

Re: 98 chevy 1500 truck obd2 question

dmlusmc
Yeah I pulled up the VIR and the last tech before me put 8600 for the weight so that must be why it skipped the obd2 test

Re: 98 chevy 1500 truck obd2 question

scanner
dmlusmc wrote
Yeah I pulled up the VIR and the last tech before me put 8600 for the weight so that must be why it skipped the obd2 test

That is exactly why the OBDII was bypassed.

EPA's original 1996 OBD regulation only required OBD on vehicles with a GVWR of < 8,500lbs

Those MY1996 to ~2008 federally certified vehicles that have a GVWR > 8500lbs will not require an OBDII functional test.

Calif's original 1996 OBD II regulation required OBD on all vehicles with a GVWR of <14,000 lbs.

Re: 98 chevy 1500 truck obd2 question

Just the Facts

Re: 98 chevy 1500 truck obd2 question

FiendFX
Only ESP keeps the history. SPX doesn't have this problem.

Re: 98 chevy 1500 truck obd2 question

I'd prefer it if the first time they were tested the data got locked in and the labels photographed and kept in a database we could access.