.99 STAR score.

justa
Banned User

Re: .99 STAR score.

Monkey
Agreed

Re: .99 STAR score.

Since STAR is nonsensical why do you want to BE a .99% shop? In my book you do your job and just like the test you pass or fail. There is not a day I do not pass on a vehicle, but it has nothing to do with my ability. It has to do with the consumer being in a bad place to begin with and the fact that now I have to go down that path with him? Not enough money. Period!

Re: .99 STAR score.

Lucy
Great post Justa and awesome response JM. I just hope reads BAR reads this and gets some conviction from it.

Re: .99 STAR score.

I forgot the name of the shop and tech, but he's a test only center located in Newport Beach, PASS OR FREE RETEST type of deal. He fails every single cars that he can. High volume shop. If you check the business on YELP, they will talk shit about this Korean guy. His price is $29.75 for smog IIRC.. His score is .99

Re: .99 STAR score.

I know which guy you mean.  His FuPR has dropped to .95, and he has no short terms at all this year, because he let his license expire last September.  He has seven citations, spread over 16 years, but his FuPR has never been below .94.

Re: .99 STAR score.

FiendFX
Wonder why he let his license expire?

Re: .99 STAR score.

 (FPR) Summary
Scores applicable as of: FPR
Jul 2015 0.99
Jan 2015 0.99
Jul 2014 0.99
Jan 2014 0.99
Jul 2013 0.99
Jan 2013 0.98
Jul 2012 0.83
Jan 2012 0.82
Jul 2011 0.92

Have no clue how my score is what it is.

Re: .99 STAR score.

Centralized Smog
Doesn't matter what the criteria is, there will always be people who game the system. Why do you have problems with the cherry pickers? That just means more cars for the other shops.

Re: .99 STAR score.

Johnnybeme
Precisely CS! And those other shops deserve what they get when they test just every POS and rude, ignorant customer. Yes! Very fitting! Just like any customer. I work for those who appreciate me and the fucked up job I have. My customers are gold for a reason. Charge more and be happy!

Re: .99 STAR score.

Al wrote
... Have no clue how my score is what it is.
You're certainly not perfect, but you have avoided red-flags and you have only had a few double-asterisks.  Your SVFR has never dipped below 12%, so you're not avoiding all the turds that stumble in.  Maybe you're just an awesome TO tech who has been properly rewarded for a job well done.  Kinda like a true genius getting an IQ award from G.W. Bush.

Your volume has tapered off in the last year, based on the percentage results of your deviations.  Four years ago, you were doing enough volume that 6 fuel caps, 3 evaps, 2 timings and 11 incorrect gears on the same report card didn't even come close to red-flagging you or even giving you any double-asterisks ... that's some impressive volume for sure.  What changed between then and now ... more help or fewer customers?

Re: .99 STAR score.

locopoco
0.99 here,TO and guilty of cherry picking the cars.
If anybody wants to do the early 80's vans they are most certainly welcome but with the way the system is set up I"ll try to minimize the damage to my business by cherry picking,Thanks.

Re: .99 STAR score.

Barry,
Have 2 shops. One in south sac and one in elk grove.
Used to work at South Sac shop only. Lots of older junk cars.
Now I work at Elk Grove shop with mostly 2000+ cars.
Elk grove store is a bit slower and cleaner than Sac store.

Re: .99 STAR score.

I know a cherry picker and his score is .55.. So I don't think it's the case..

Re: .99 STAR score.

FiendFX wrote
I know a cherry picker and his score is .55.. So I don't think it's the case..
Maybe he just isn't as good as locopoco at picking the sweetest ones?  I see techs on iATN get criticized from time-to-time for skimming the gravy and leaving the gristle for the rest, but as long as it keeps most of the bills paid in your customer demographic, I don't see much problem with it.  My shop surely couldn't afford to do that ... we have a truly depressing gravy-to-gristle ratio here.

Re: .99 STAR score.

justa
Banned User

Re: .99 STAR score.

locopoco
I've been doing this for 15 years,not as long as some of the respected members over here, I know, but as a business owner everyone knows that there are times that are slow and times that are busy it has nothing to do with "cherry picking".
The star system is set up so we are in mercy of the vehicle owner and If I see a vehicle pulls in with doors hanging and running like crap like it never have been in for any maintenance for years and on the top of it the customer has the attitude to fit the car,unlike Barry who doesnt have the luxury of refusing the car,I can and I will.It ain't worth the headache.
I have customers that keep coming back year after year and bring their nephews and cousins and what not to introduce to me for their smog,not because I'm a cherry picker but because I'm a helpful guy in general.
My time as a test only is numbered and declining fast and I intend to prolong it as long as I can and keep my score as high as I can.
That's the game plan anyway for all of us.
Good day.

Re: .99 STAR score.

none
That is one of the joys of being self employed, You can run the business as you choose as long as it is within the laws. It sounds like it has worked for you and it may not work for all areas.

I personally applaud you for having such a good FPR score. Keep it up.