A RANT ON SERVICE WRITERS

Citation Addict
I know its been a while since posting here

Never in my wildest would I ever go off on a supervisor let alone a shop owner for license mis appropriation. The problem I have is with service writers who have 0 automotive back ground, never have touched a wrench let alone understand the smog check regulation. Being a service manager at Sears doesnt make you a master tech and neither does having a repair license from Canada. According to the BAR they don't recognize it. The biggest slap in the face is when I am suppose to working on a smog failure but instead having to clean a restroom, or some other job that doesnt pay on productivity. I felt like a lube tech at Jiffy Lube. With a tech star score of .87 it became very frustrating not being able to work on anything. The shop foreman simply decided I wasn't good enough and had to prove myself. Keep in mind he has no clue about my automotive background that includes diesel. With my frustration building, I had enough of the shop politics that demoralizes anyone who earns a license the right way that understands the automotive culture in a shop. Instead of firing a smog tech in good standing, how about getting rid of people who should not be up front giving smog advise to customers with 0 automotive background? Never have I left a shop so angry enough to rat them out to the BAR and Ill explain why...Nobody had repair licenses and were conducting repairs. This station had a history of doing this and it time they learn a harsh lesson on what it means to be a licensee.

This may seem like I am complaining but what I am getting at here is work appropriation.

Id like to get your all thoughts on being being under utilized by unqualified shop personnel.

Re: A RANT ON SERVICE WRITERS

smog frogposter
Used to be a bottom of the barrel lube tech at Sears way back when, and I know where you are coming from it does not matter whether or not you are an ASE master technician when you are starting off as the new tech in a shop. In an automotive shop environment it is all about seniority and how many years you've been there and how many asses you've kissed to climb up the ladder regardless if you have years of background experience elsewhere with credentials and certificataions. If you are starting as a new technician expect to be handed all of the jobs nobody wants to do; and it is exactly as you stated it's all about "shop politics" where you have to do a little dance around your superiors in order to not be chewed out and be left alone.

Re: A RANT ON SERVICE WRITERS

When I was still in the employee and not an employer I had zero problem with reporting an employer to the Bureau of Automotive Repair or two the EPA I had one employer in Vallejo California a diesel shop there that used to allow venting of 134a to the atmosphere and they wanted me to attach my licenses to the shop and I was like no. So basically they gave me an ultimatum of let them use my licenses work they would fire me I quit on the spot. And reported them and submitted a video of them doing exactly what I was refusing to do. The flip side of that token is if any of my employees ever had an issue they can always come in and talk to me. I'm very receptive to improving the shop and making the shop safer and more compliant some employers just don't give a crap

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/A-RANT-ON-SERVICE-WRITERS-tp5083452.html