A good read...

jackhandy
Page 3 contains a summary of the judges decision in a BAR citation appeal hearing, which ultimately states that the BAR is wrong and that the shop wins their appeal of the citation. (Don't take my word for it, read the summary for yourself, it's public record on the internet) Looks like the BAR went in kicking and screaming, only to have the judge spank them for being assholes. (So the BAR undoubtedly left the courtroom, also kicking and screaming, probably hyper-ventilating too, the way a 3 year old does, wiping away all the tears and snot on their collective sleeve)

(I had no idea this kind of official case record was available publicly on the internet).

Further reading of the case shows the undercover vehicle to be a 1998 Ford Explorer, and defines the tamper- a handy tid-bit for those of us looking to not lose our licenses over some B.S. unrealistic BAR booby-trap.

Page 4 publicly identifies the under cover operator as a man named "Jeff Hammer" (A BAR employee). What it doesn't say, however, is that  just a few year prior, Mr. Hammer was arrested- yes, you read that right, he was ARRESTED, by the police, in a drug sting, while hopped up on, and buying illegal drugs...while in an official state of California BAR vehicle, while on the clock, earning wages paid by the California taxpayer working as an official government sanctioned Bureau of Automotive Repair Representative in the greater Sacramento area.

Does that concern anyone?

So apparently back then, Jeff, once released from his incarceration, however long or short that may have been, resigned just before the State of California could shit-can him for being a "taint" on the Bureau, or in other words, a complete "asshat" that wasn't fit to perform his duties as a public servant.  Then, shortly thereafter, Jeff was promptly re-hired by the very same Bureau of Automotive Repair, in the great State of California. (There's your government-sanctioned cronyism hard at work folks, apparently he is one of the good 'ol boys) (Good for him, right?)  You won't be able to get a job there though.

Jeff is just one of the many sturdy characters in the greater Sacramento area that's spear-heading the mission to quietly and privately fuck you out of your career. (Look it up, it's all public record). He's the type of guy that Governor Jerry Brown and the State of California is paying to testify in court against YOU  about YOUR failings.

How do you like them apples? And don't forget about the 1998 Explorer...

Link: http://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/accusations/ea-632021_2014_03_24_dec.pdf

Look, I'm not saying the idea of a consumer protection agency is a bad thing, I'm all for it. I'm all about helping out the down-trodden and the abused, and I hate fraud. But from an outsider's perspective, it looks like the BAR is reaping the benefits of its pattern of hiring and promoting people more qualified to clean automotive repair shop toilets than to administer public policy. Shit, I just got all political. Sorry.

Continually providing the highest quality telephone smog certs since the turn of the century!

Re: A good read...

jackhandy wrote
Further reading of the case shows the undercover vehicle to be a 1998 Ford Explorer, and defines the tamper
There was no tamper, the BAR sent out a passing vehicle (and probably made it obvious that it was a UC when they did the run).  Tech ruled a mushy PCV hose and they busted him.

Happy ending though.  Easy defense.
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: A good read...

Smogtech
just read the the 21 pages?   JH =justthefact

Re: A good read...

So, after reading the PDF, sounds like the TECH was wrong no? He failed the EVAP port tester for Modified, when it's actually normal. He failed PCV hose because it was collapsed, but was it really collapsed????

Re: A good read...

cosmokramertheassman
I think the reason the BAR didn't win this case was because they could not prove that the tech improperly inspected the two systems that he failed. Basically, the EVAP service point and mushy hose are subjective "fails" that he did inspect, and ultimately didn't fall into the passing category for this particular tech.

Re: A good read...

The tech was freaking out during the inspection, because he knew that it was UC (he had a list).  The UC team knew that he had a list, and were trying to punish him for having it.  He couldn't imagine that they would send him a UC that was supposed to pass, so he started grasping at straws.  He's doing fine in Roseville now, but Mr. none told me that the shop owner closed up.

Re: A good read...

none
barrym95838 wrote
The tech was freaking out during the inspection, because he knew that it was UC (he had a list).  The UC team knew that he had a list, and were trying to punish him for having it.  He couldn't imagine that they would send him a UC that was supposed to pass, so he started grasping at straws.  He's doing fine in Roseville now, but none told me that the shop owner closed up.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107
This is NOT the same shop. The other case was with GV SMOG.

I had done some heavy duty work for this shop years ago. They are the oldest repair shop in Nevada county. They used to not do jobs like head gaskets and would send them to the shop I worked at.

Re: A good read...

none
Michael, You have mail.

Re: A good read...

 This goes back to what I have been trying to say all along. THE BAR DOES NOT CARE IF YOU FAIL IT. It's only passes.

 Your STAR score, the UC fine, They FEEL that you cheated or you passed a vehicle you should not have.
                                                 THEY FEEL

 How much did it cost that guy to fight the BAR? The BAR had nothing and still went after the guy. Chances is we don't know all the story.
The FACT is, if you never issue a Cert. Not a thing the BAR can do. He felt the hose was defective.
If you notice about all the "Busted" shop's, the BAR has picture proof. Just do the job you are paid to do. All of us who have been busted will tell you one thing. WE GOT LAZY. In a small way I like UC. It keeps me awake and doing a better job. A SMALL WAY.

Re: A good read...

It really chaps my hide that there is a bunch of cronyism going on at the Bureau of automotive Repair ! This jerk , was making an illegal drug deal in a freegin state bought car on taxpayers time and got arrested doing so BUT the BAR REHIRES HIM  ???/ THATS 2 THAT WE KNOW OF WITH A HISTORY OF FRAUD AND DISHONESTY , WHY DOESN'T HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE APPLY TO THEM THE ONE ABOUT "MAKING UNTRUTHFUL STATEMENTS AND DEFRAUDING THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CA"?
    I guess you have to be a CRIMINAL TO WORK FOR THE BUREAu of Automotive Repair . smdh

Re: A good read...

Calibration Required
Karupt wrote
It really chaps my hide that there is a bunch of cronyism going on at the Bureau of automotive Repair ! This jerk , was making an illegal drug deal in a freegin state bought car on taxpayers time and got arrested doing so BUT the BAR REHIRES HIM  ???/ THATS 2 THAT WE KNOW OF WITH A HISTORY OF FRAUD AND DISHONESTY , WHY DOESN'T HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE APPLY TO THEM THE ONE ABOUT "MAKING UNTRUTHFUL STATEMENTS AND DEFRAUDING THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CA"?
    I guess you have to be a CRIMINAL TO WORK FOR THE BUREAu of Automotive Repair . smdh
I sincerely believe this to be the case as well.  The BAR does not want anyone who will raise a stink about some of their ... cough cough,  "questionable" tactics. This is one of the characteristics they look for in their new employees.

Re: A good read...

jackhandy
"I sincerely believe this to be the case as well.  The BAR does not want anyone who will raise a stink about some of their ... cough cough,  "questionable" tactics. This is one of the characteristics they look for in their new employees."

- You are spot on with this statement. They hire the meek, the baseless, opinion-less know-nothing schmucks and groom them (this is why you never hear back when you apply for the PR1 position). Do you think that after Jeff Hammer was rehired he ever once objected in the slightest way to his boss's questionable tactics? Fuck no, because they owned his ass at that point. He has since been promoted, FYI. As the "crony train" rolls along, the lackeys get pulled up. Guys like Jeff stand for nothing, do whatever they're told, and will swear in court all day long to exactly anything (I'm sure he's a totally likable fellow, though, this isn't personal).

Somewhere in the middle of the crony pack is this half man, half pig, half snake creature wearing a perpetual  Chicano-homosexual porno mustache. This thing answers to the call "Slimy Jaime Ramos."  He's the one straddling the crony train wearing ass-less chaps and sporting a 9 inch strap-on on his chest. He's been promoted to a Program Manager, and is overseeing the complete and utter halting of anything good to come out of the BAR across the entire state of California. (Gov Brown is beaming with pride.)

And yeah, don't look to the homo-porn mustache for some sort of advanced educational degree in public administration, no, he's a high school drop out, as is the man he selected to replace his vacated office in the Sacramento field office supervisory role. Good choices fella's. That'll make for one hell of a dynamic and functional Government agency. Congratulations!

And I just feel a little sorry for all the respectable, intelligent, qualified and reasonable BAR reps (there surely are some that we've encountered on occasion, right?) that will never ever ever ever ever see a promotion in their entire BAR career due to the ignorance and insecurities of the entire human chain of shit-nosed bosses. Life sucks, huh?

Continually providing the highest quality telephone smog certs since the turn of the century!

Re: A good read...

Just the Facts

Re: A good read...

JTF and jack live less than 20 miles from one another, and are both legit smog techs, but they are definitely different people, and have probably never even met.

Re: A good read...

jackhandy
BM is right, I think. And for that matter, we don't even look alike...have you even looked at our avatars? Ha ha.
Continually providing the highest quality telephone smog certs since the turn of the century!

Re: A good read...

jackhandy
Just got my English to Spanish translator tuned up and working, so here goes:  the thing residing at the Sacramento international California State National Headquarters overseeing a pointless particle of the BAR UC program statewide is (for the Latino contributors) "hombre de la serpiente de cerdo." Got a nice ring to it. Foreign languages make everything sound so exotic don't it? For the rest of us, it just plain old "snake-pig man." (Slimy Jaime Ramos).

That's all folks.
Continually providing the highest quality telephone smog certs since the turn of the century!

Re: A good read...

jackhandy wrote
BM is right, I think.

It's actually Michael B, he's not a BM.  :-)

Re: A good read...

Best Answer I Can Give
 Facts man, good to see your still around. Miss your after diner tips. They were always good.

Re: A good read...

Karupt wrote
... This jerk , was making an illegal drug deal in a freegin state bought car on taxpayers time and got arrested doing so BUT the BAR REHIRES HIM  ??? ...
I have learned from a trusted source that Mr. Hammer was suffering from an addiction to pain meds, a condition with which I am not entirely unfamiliar.  He appears to have found help, and eventually recovered well enough to be rehired.  I'm not saying that his behavior is excusable, just that he wasn't sucking the glass dick, allegedly.

Re: A good read...

could this slimy jaime  Ramos be related to a Sylvia Ramos who also works at the BAR Sac office and is known to have gone on some uc runs herself .she actually used her real name on an invoice ,she ran the Aerostar with a pcv tamper .