A typical smog day in the hood ...

I rejected an '85 K10 because the cat was glowing cherry red at a vague interpretation of "idle".  This fine automobile was just before.  How many ghettorific details can you spot?  It's really a crying shame that smell-o-vision hasn't been perfected yet, or I would share a whiff of the interior with you too.

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

Troll
A "Pass" on safety exam for sure.
Why the "brains" in bar haven't figured out this one is beyond me.
most states have an inspection for tires, brakes, windshield, lites.
why not make each car get a legal salvage inspection cert each year?

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

Acura Legend? Getting an RPM signal on those can be a bitch. And these vehicles loves to wander on the dyno.

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

Yeah, '94 Legend.  I just grab the current loop at the front of the passenger side valve cover with my contact clamp and answer "not DIS" at the prompt.  I also keep my left foot firmly planted on the floor during ASM.

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

FiendFX
Hey Barry, I do that too.

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

cosmokramertheassman
Man, that thing is rough. If that's what you're inspecting on a regular basis, Barry, I feel bad for you.

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

Wow that thing looks held together by zip ties ! WTF ? Please tell me it failed ?
  YOu keep your foot planted on the ground Barry ? oh hallls no , i get in and buckle up , but not before strapping it down . These types of vehicles show up here about twice in a day usually about 5:56 , we close at 6 .

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

FiendFX
I lost my straps, I would use wheel chalk on both of the rear wheels if I have to, and if it still doesn't work then I would just reject the vehicle.

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

Karupt
Fiendfx, One does not just simply lose their straps....

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

I still have my straps, but they have at least ten years of dust on them.  I use wheel chocks on the front tires of gigantic 4x4s, because they like to walk off the rollers if I don't.  Otherwise, I just depend on my reflexes and my left foot on the shop floor for feedback.  Haven't f**ked anything up in a long time [knock on wood].

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

Karupt
Barry, so if the car wanders to the left you just push it to the right with your talented foot ? what if it wanders to the right ,all the way to the dyno belt drive housing ? That would be a time saving trick ,however i don't think i will try it out any time soon . I do like a tip that one of our friends here on this forum taught me , and in person ! I got to meet one of yous and your wife ! Thanks for taking us out to the Hungry Hunter and for a wonderful time in general .Wish we could all meet up one day and sit down for some dinner and drinks . D , could you arrange that with some STS funds ?

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

Decker

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

none
I use the straps every once in a while. It is usually on some lowered Honda with a lot of negative camber.

BTW; The idea with your left foot out the door is just to feel what the car is doing, not to push it one way or another.

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

locopoco
I only use straps on light truck,like Toyota ,Nissan and such, to push the rear tires,so it won't loose traction and start free spinning.
In several instances it caused an automatic abort.
On some light weight SUV's if I can't strap'em,I'll ask the customer to sit in rear passenger side to put some weight on the tires,But It only happened maybe once or twice in my 16 years.

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

locopo,

You strap down trucks? That's not even necessary.. Use wheel chocks is good enough..

Re: A typical smog day in the hood ...

locopoco
FiendFx,

Not strapping down for the sake of tying it down, but more to push down the wheels on the dyno rollers so it won't start free spinning in the middle of the test and loose speed and causing an abort, it happened to me.

I don't do it on regular  trucks only on small pick up's and light SUV's.

I have never had a problem with that happening.  I have had issues with wet tires spinning and cause a restart though.