ASE L1 Testing Strategy

scanner
I attended my first computer based ASE test last night.   I took A6, A8 and L1 recertification tests.   I was scheduled between 6:15-10:00pm.   I completed the three tests by 8:30pm.

When you take the L1 test, you are given a booklet that gives the complete description of "Composite Vehicle 3".   When I clicked on the button to start the test, I just started to read the booklet.   I was impressed with the vehicle ASE built.   It included many of the technologies incorporated in today's vehicles.   It's not the Composite Vehicle of the L1 test I took over 20 years ago.

I got to Actuators, and I was thinking, I better start doing this test.    It turns out that many of questions didn't involve the Composite Vehicle.

When I completed the test, I was wondering if I didn't read the booklet, would I have finished sooner.   Maybe.    During previous tests, I would just start the test, and go to the Composite Vehicle booklet for reference.

Reading the booklet was like doing last minute studying.   You take everything in, and the information is fresh in your mind.

While reading the questions, I remembered the references mentioned in the text of the booklet.   It was almost like having an open book test.   You just have to apply your knowledge of the system you're diagnosing.

I think reading the booklet before starting the test worked for me.  Once I start the test, I'm in test taking mode, not learning mode.

I didn't miss any questions regarding the composite vehicle.  I missed one question regarding General Powertrain Diagnosis. It must have been a poorly written question. ;-)

I would recommend reading the Composite Vehicle booklet before answering questions after you push the Start Button.

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

Kriss Vector

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

As a side note, I like the computer base testing way better except that I can't take them in the order I want. I was re-certifying A1-A8 and taking the A9 test. I would have liked to start with A6 and A8 which are the only two I really NEED and finish with the transmission ones when I'm getting tired.

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

take it easy wrote
Scanner if you don't mind me asking are you in socal or norcal? I'm in socal and in my area the prometic centers do not offer testing in the afternoon/nights,
I work in Los Angeles, and I took the test in Diamond Bar.   It was scheduled to start at 6:15 and I had to leave at 4:30 pm from work in order to get there 30 minutes before the test started.   I left the facility around 8:30 pm.

I'm taking the L3 next week too.  Same time frame.

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

As a side note, I like the computer base testing way better except that I can't take them in the order I want. I was re-certifying A1-A8 and taking the A9 test. I would have liked to start with A6 and A8 which are the only two I really NEED and finish with the transmission ones when I'm getting tired.
I like that I didn't need reading glasses to see the font on the screen.   I did notice that you're not given a choice of the order of testing.    I really didn't want to be tired when I got started on L1, too.

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

EXCESSIVE RESTARTS
I've been a Master tech for over 25 years.  Recently I used Prometric for the first time.  They treat you like criminals.  It seemed as if I was visiting a maximum security prison.

I wanted to take all my tests at once but they wouldn't allow it.   I finished all of my tests (A1-A8) before noon and asked why I couldn't take the L1 test.  They didn't close til 9pm the testing room was half empty and they still wouldn't let me take the test.

I will let my ASE's expire and take the alternative classes if I'm still doing this in the year 2020.

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

scanner
EXCESSIVE RESTARTS wrote
I've been a Master tech for over 25 years.
Me too, sorta, I let my A1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 lapse.  No one cares if you hold those certs.   I might still have those current if I worked for an entity that rewards you per certification.

Recently I used Prometric for the first time.  They treat you like criminals.  It seemed as if I was visiting a maximum security prison.
I dunno.  It seemed innocuous to me.   The admission ticket explained exactly what we were required to do, and what the test administrator was required to do.   I put my belongings in a locker, and the young lady passed a wand around me.   She gave me the Composite Vehicle booklet, scratch paper and pencils, and was very cordial.  She led me to my station, placed the key and Id on the table, and gave me some instructions, and that was it.

You were unfortunate to get someone that treated you like crap.

I wanted to take all my tests at once but they wouldn't allow it.   I finished all of my tests (A1-A8) before noon and asked why I couldn't take the L1 test.  They didn't close til 9pm the testing room was half empty and they still wouldn't let me take the test.
Yeah, I tried scheduling A6, A8, L1 and L3 at the same time, but I guess there's only so much time in each session.   It sounds like you asked to take the L1 at the test center?    I doubt they could change the schedule you had set online.   They won't let you change your appointment 3 days from your assigned date, nevermind trying to do it on the spot.

I will let my ASE's expire and take the alternative classes if I'm still doing this in the year 2020.
Me too.   I'll be 67 when my ASEs expire, and hopefully I'll be done by then.

Why would you want to take the alternate class?   Seem like you would have to pay a lot more money than if you just recerted your ASEs.

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

EXCESSIVE RESTARTS
"Why would you want to take the alternate class?   Seem like you would have to pay a lot more money than if you just recerted your ASEs.  "

The experience was that bad. I'm willing to take alternate classes.  Hopefully by then, ASE will stop using them or (even better) I retire from this industry.

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

Just the Facts

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

scanner
Just the facts wrote
The composite vehicle guide is available online.  Copy and paste because I can't seem to link it).
https://www.ase.com/MediaLibrary/Images/PDF%20folder/L1_Blue_Composite_Booklet_WEB.pdf

You can study it at your leisure prior to taking the test.
The link worked for me.  Had I read the booklet prior to the appointed time,  It would have made for leisurely test taking.

I also got a 49 of 50, but the one I missed was in the Computerized Powertrain Diagnosis.  There must be 2 poorly written questions and I just got lucky on the other one.
Who'da thunk there'd be 2 badly written questions on the L1?   Yeah, I just realized I got lucky on the other one too.

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

I didn't get lucky on either one ... or did I?  I probably just got a bit sloppy, but I blasted through that test like a maniac, in less than 30 minutes.  There were definitely a couple of questions that were worded ambiguously ... I know, because I couldn't quite figure out what they wanted, even after reading them twice.

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

locopoco
Thanks for the heads up guys,I need to take my A6-A8 and the L1 by end of the month.

JTF, thanks for the link.

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

barrym95838 wrote
I didn't get lucky on either one ... or did I?  I probably just got a bit sloppy, but I blasted through that test like a maniac, in less than 30 minutes.  There were definitely a couple of questions that were worded ambiguously ... I know, because I couldn't quite figure out what they wanted, even after reading them twice.
I think to a certain degree, luck plays a small amount in the test taking.   For the most part, we all make our own luck.   During the A6 and A8 tests, I flagged maybe 3 or 4 questions, reviewed them and didn't change any of them.   So with that in mind, I blew threw L1 without reviewing my answers and I got what I got, probably just like what you did.

With the link JTF provided, anyone taking the L1 will be well served and ready if they read the Composite Vehicle booklet.

I forget which question it was, but it seemed like it took me forever to find Fuse 74 in order to find out what it powered.

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

david
Did you guys buy study guides? I am taking the L1 and A6 in two weeks. I took A8 6 months ago and passed it. At my dealership i don't do any smog diagnosis I get 4 to 5 regular smog inspection a week, so I am little weak on smog diagnosis and thought i get the books to refresh. Any suggestion on best ASE study guides? I know motor age is pretty popular.

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

These are far from perfect, and seem to be a bit dated, but at least they're free:

http://www.thelostartof.net/gsellstr/ASE%20Stuff/booka6.pdf

http://www.thelostartof.net/gsellstr/ASE%20Stuff/booka8.pdf

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

david
I will read through them. I was searching for free guides and couldn't find anything online, so thanks for the link they look very informative.

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

Barry

I have always said you are the man!

Good job!

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

pickle
The best online learning

http://www.delmarlearning.com/browse_catalog.aspx?cat1ID=AU&cat2ID=ASE

Online ASE Technician Test Preparation 2.0 (TTP2): Automotive Bilingual Advanced Engine Performance (L1)
9781435488380 (1435488385)

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

locopoco
Did my ASE recirts(A-6,A-8,L-1), and the only one that I was having hard time it was the L-1,
lots of Evap diagnostics and also electrical gremlins diagnostics.
I'm good till 2020.

Re: ASE L1 Testing Strategy

FiendFX
L1 is definitely complicated. Especially the way they word the questions.
12