Accords run cooler? help

Able
Been browsing on Accords forums and seems to say that accords temperature gauge is below middle mark because accords run cooler.

I recall reading here that a suck open thermostat may not cause CAT monitor to become ready because temp is too low.

I have a friend with a 2005 accord 3.0L and CAT will not complete, over 400 miles driving already. Temp gauge is below middle mark.

Any response is appreciated.

Re: Accords run cooler? help

Jones
Needs a test & repair shop.
TimeOut

Re: Accords run cooler? help

I can't claim to be an expert on the subject, but I think you might need at least two sets of ten uninterrupted minutes at a steady throttle angle and speed between 55 and 60 mph to run the cat monitor.  It's not as easy as it sounds on the street, but if you don't mind winding the sh!t out of your dyno at roughly 4HP on ESP manual mode while someone else takes care of all other business, it's doable.  I "fixed" a '96 Prelude with the same issue last month, which is a slightly different animal, but from the same family tree.

Re: Accords run cooler? help

smog frogposter
if you have a way to access the datastream from the PCM, verify that the ECT reaches its threshold along with other sensors such as the IAT, and the feedback sensors that put the vehicle into a closed loop operation. It is possible that the customer may also drive the vehicle in a manner where the driving conditions are not set, this is usually because people just drive too fast and think if they drive long and hard enough it will get things done faster. Verify that there are no extra loads on the engine such as the a/c compressor since an extra parasitic load from an accessory may not satisfy the pcm to trip the catalyst monitor. Look for any pending codes that may provide a hint as to why the catalyst monitor is not being able to trip, if possible run the vehicle on the Dyno following the drive cycle patterns.

Re: Accords run cooler? help

Able
smog frogposter wrote
if you have a way to access the datastream from the PCM, verify that the ECT reaches its threshold along with other sensors such as the IAT, and the feedback sensors that put the vehicle into a closed loop operation. It is possible that the customer may also drive the vehicle in a manner where the driving conditions are not set, this is usually because people just drive too fast and think if they drive long and hard enough it will get things done faster. Verify that there are no extra loads on the engine such as the a/c compressor since an extra parasitic load from an accessory may not satisfy the pcm to trip the catalyst monitor. Look for any pending codes that may provide a hint as to why the catalyst monitor is not being able to trip, if possible run the vehicle on the Dyno following the drive cycle patterns.

2:48 mins on the dyno and cat completed.
thanks all

Re: Accords run cooler? help

Evaponly818
Able wrote
smog frogposter wrote
if you have a way to access the datastream from the PCM, verify that the ECT reaches its threshold along with other sensors such as the IAT, and the feedback sensors that put the vehicle into a closed loop operation. It is possible that the customer may also drive the vehicle in a manner where the driving conditions are not set, this is usually because people just drive too fast and think if they drive long and hard enough it will get things done faster. Verify that there are no extra loads on the engine such as the a/c compressor since an extra parasitic load from an accessory may not satisfy the pcm to trip the catalyst monitor. Look for any pending codes that may provide a hint as to why the catalyst monitor is not being able to trip, if possible run the vehicle on the Dyno following the drive cycle patterns.

2:48 mins on the dyno and cat completed.
thanks all
At 55mph?

Re: Accords run cooler? help

Able
no, under 30mph. now you can perform coast downs.

I never do this as i worry it will ruin the dyno. this was a friends car so i did it one time kind of deal.

Re: Accords run cooler? help

805smogtech
Able wrote
no, under 30mph. now you can perform coast downs.

I never do this as i worry it will ruin the dyno. this was a friends car so i did it one time kind of deal.
Shop I worked at down south had a dyno. We used to run monitors on it at 55 mph every once in a while, especially if the car had expired tags. (If the tags weren't expired we'd drive the vehicle around town with the scan tool to get them to set.) We never had a problem spinning the dyno that fast. Only issue I ever had was some of the front wheel drive vehicles (volvo wagons, toyota corollas etc) would wander on the dyno and you had keep them steady, which got more difficult the faster you spun the dyno. probably would have helped if i'd ever bothered to tie any of them down though lol

Re: Accords run cooler? help

I still have my tie-down straps, but they are covered with many years of dust.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107