Actual case.

Mark
I charge 49.75 for a Smog. I do free retests. Smogs are the
biggest part of my business although I do repairs and exhaust
work also. We don't take appointments and I try my best to
work with the customer to calm them down and get there car
to pass with there budget and the economy in mind. I don't
ever cheat.

My only competition now since the other shop closed up is a
dealership not degrading anyone just stating facts. But they
charge 79.75, do not offer free re tests, require an appointment
and do smogs more or less as a convenience to there zero mile
customers.

I am failing STAR this quarter (Was passing last time) My competition
always passes because they do not do enough smogs to get a score.
Now I am not saying that they would for sure fail if there volume
increased, I don't know that. But the fact is they never do enough
Smogs to get a score.

So in this case the customer is going to be forced to go to the highest
priced station simply because they are highest priced and do not
offer a retest. Not necessarily that the smog is done better but because
most people chose not to go there in the past.

Re: Actual case.

FRUSTRATED
Mark, you must be making this up right?  BAR assured the public that STAR was the best polluting and money reducing program that could be developed, and don't forget that BAR has the smog industry buy in....  Yeah, right!  Sad to say that the STAR program will actually end up causing confusion, frustration and money to the consumer because some the regular shops they go to will either disappear, not qualify for STAR, or qualify for STAR but refuse to test their car due to incomplete monitors (go burn gas at $3 or $4 dollars/gallon) or the car is a piece of crap that the shop will refuse to test as if it should pass, the shop knows next time it will not AND OBVIOUSLY YOU CHEAT ALL THE TIME (100% FOR SURE) when cars barely pass the test (according to BAR's crystal ball).

And as far as STAR keeping the cheaters out of the program. That is a total fail, our competition are a bunch of cheaters and they have no issue qualifying for STAR and they brag about it.

Re: Actual case.

karuptrougueouttacontrol
absolutely absured , But yet BAR says they are looking out for the customer's interests , and as is in your case this would not be in the best interest of the CuStomer ! All because of the fingerpointing and moneygrubbing CARB/DCA/BAR . Disturbing at least , lots of cusswords and our hands are tied due to the dicataroship of BAR .

Re: Actual case.

karuptrougueouttacontrol
at frustrated , Bragging cheaters ? I believe it ! i knkow a guy still in bussiness drives a 2011 dodge charger house in other country and here and has been closed down once , but managed to open up in same place under diff name and cheatssss cheats cheats , i am talking about cleanpluggin cheating, and he is still under full force and operational , i do not judge the dude , but i guess the BAR wants us to be like him, pay the fines and go full steam ahead with the cheating ? I am Karupt and frustrated , wait do those two even go together ? no , exactly .. okay now im frustrated period .