Aftermarket CARB-approved cat not available?

Aftermarket CARB-approved cat not available?

m_chevy
I have a 2004 Honda Accord 2.4L that I bought used (as is-with no smog test within the previous 90 days)  The emission label indicates it is CA certified as a ULEV.  Engine family (as I was told by the smog shop I went to) is 4HNXV02.2KCV.  Smog failed because of incorrect Cat.  I can't seem to find an catalytic converter for this car.  Does that mean a factory cat is the only one authorized for use on this car?

I was told by the smog shop to peel the label--then they can't verify the engine family and will have to pass it.  I'm just not interested in going around the system.  But there has to be a correct solution.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Mike

Re: Aftermarket CARB-approved cat not available?

defective
Looks like you would have to get the catalyst from the Honda dealer.  Cats for ULEV certified 2004 Accords dont show up on the database > https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTool/CatalystSearchTool.aspx

Peeling the label may or may not get you by.  Educated shops can figure out the car is ULEV(stickers on windows/valve cover casting/engine code).  They can also point you to the Referee or require you to get the proper label affixed.

Re: Aftermarket CARB-approved cat not available?

Smogtech
peeled out sticker (NO).  Aftermarket Cat convert without emission sticker. Upon checking it and have more then 1 test group, 100% failed. Not want to taking risk.  Honda accords and Toyota corollas with more than 1 EFN.

Speaking of cats, anyone know where to source one for the now defunct Saturn Astra?  None in database, tried cross referencing the EFN to other vehicles too, but its specific only to the Astra.  Had one customer ask, and another yet with a P0420 and MIL.  Send to REFEREE?

Re: Aftermarket CARB-approved cat not available?

m_chevy
Exactly what I was thinking.  Which is why I didn't want to peel the label.  Thanks a bunch.

Re: Aftermarket CARB-approved cat not available?

My Name is Nobody
m_chevy wrote
I have a 2004 Honda Accord 2.4L that I bought used (as is-with no smog test within the previous 90 days)  The emission label indicates it is CA certified as a ULEV.
Mike,

It's a SULEV

Engine family (as I was told by the smog shop I went to) is 4HNXV02.2KCV.

EFN is 4HNXV02.4KCV.  The smog shop gave you the wrong numbers.  See attached, click on Energy and Environment tab and select California.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=19747&#tab2

Too bad the previous owner didn't know since the vehicle is a SULEV and the cat is warranty for 15/150k

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/pdf/PZEV_Warranties.pdf

Smog failed because of incorrect Cat.  I can't seem to find an catalytic converter for this car.  Does that mean a factory cat is the only one authorized for use on this car?

Contact the referee at the link below to see if you could get a part exemption waiver.
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/About_BAR/Contact_Us.html

I was told by the smog shop to peel the label--then they can't verify the engine family and will have to pass it.  I'm just not interested in going around the system.  But there has to be a correct solution.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Mike

Re: Aftermarket CARB-approved cat not available?

smwalker
On the Saturn Astra Cat GM part number is 55564187

Although a few sources say discontinued.  Some claim availability so who knows.

The 1.8 ecotech  also came in the Chevrolet Cruze of similar years.  Wonder how compatible they are?  OR if the ref would allow.

Re: Aftermarket CARB-approved cat not available?

smwalker
Does SULEV equal PZEV?

I have a hard time keeping all those categories straight.

Re: Aftermarket CARB-approved cat not available?

smwalker
OOps sorry the Cruze started in 2011 and that cat 55573030  is also showing discontinued and nothign in the aftermarket database.  HUh.

Re: Aftermarket CARB-approved cat not available?

smwalker wrote
Does SULEV equal PZEV?

I have a hard time keeping all those categories straight.
PZEV is cleaner than SULEV.

SULEV= super ultra low emissions vehicle
PZEV= partial zero emissions vehicle

SO then the 15 year warranty would not apply on the SULEV correct?

And M-Chevy just for your info the seller was responsible for smoging this vehicle before he sold it.  The 90 day rule says the car must have had a smog within 90 days before the sale.  Did you buy it from a dealer or a private party?  I would assume private party.

Re: Aftermarket CARB-approved cat not available?

My Name is Nobody
smwalker wrote
SO then the 15 year warranty would not apply on the SULEV correct?
Depends!

PZEV vehicle meets Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) exhaust emission standards and zero evaporative emissions standards

Open the attached link and then select "Energy and Environment" tab, enter the State of purchase as Ca VS Texas

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=19579.

Does this vehicle qualify for 15/150K warranty?  See this label.