Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

StarTech
A lot has changed in the star program..

Aftermarket intakes-
Before, it was a fail if there were no carb stickers present on the car.
After one of the smog updates I recall them saying or it being somewhere that if you can verify the part is the legal part with a part number to an EO number that is approved you can pass them even without a carb sticker present. (a bar rep also confirmed this when I asked)

Now,  I'm not sure if that would still apply... even if it does it doesn't matter- it matters what the NEXT guy does that will end up dinging you. I'm sure i've dinged myself a few times as well .

Currently, if the car has no carb sticker present I fail it and  tell the customer to contact the intake company to send them a carb sticker.

curious, what do you guys do?

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

cosmokramertheassman
A sticker doesn't need to be present for the intake to be considered legal, as long as you do your due diligence to verify that it is applicable to that particular year, make, model and engine. I know a lot of techs don't want to take the extra couple minutes it takes to do so and they just end up failing them anyway. Seems lazy in my book.

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Both of you FORGOT one thing. It's not what you do, it's what the next guy does.
You maybe 100000000000% correct. The next guy doesn't know, or the rules get changed. Who takes the Hit?
 I know I got a Ding one time because the guy didn't know to read all of the Ford N\A timing label.

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

Kriss Vector

That's exactly my point!

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

StarTech

If the intake doesn't have a part number.. or the person has an ebay intake with say an Injen\ kn filter itself on there (or hose couplers to make it look legit)  how can we verify that? There's alot of imitation intakes out there as well. I've seen some legit intakes look and feel like an ebay intake.

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

timmy
4 years ago I had a car with a K&N air intake without CARB #. I checked it on K&N's website and it was legal, even had a picture of the intake and it looked identical to it and documented the CARB # on the VIR. Another station failed it for no # and I passed it cause I took time to look it up. Customer filed a complaint against the other shop. Guess who lost, me. "No CARB # = no pass!!" thats what the BAR rep told me. So now I require CARB #'s on ALL aftermarket parts. That's my experience.

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

Kriss Vector

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

ThePharmacist
Wasn't there a bar blast out about a year ago reminding us techs to make sure all aftermarket parts have the necessary CARB stickers attached to them?

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

StarTech
That's what i recall as well.. can't find it anywhere though. That's why I thought it changed from the update...

So see.. even us here have conflicting answers... we are dinging each other.

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

When you see an eo number on a part you look it up. Next you should be on the eo number page trying to find and match with the vehicle. Once found you can take that part number listed  and you match it up on the brand webpage. If there's no brand or eo number it does not pass because you could not verify it in any way. Send to referee explain it's a free retest done by the smog program. It's designed to help motorist resolve situations like these.

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

That BAR douche needs to read the book. I have called and requested stickers for customers,very easy. Almost no aftermarket intake actually has a part number on it, ARB douches forgot to make that a requirement. If they had a quarter of a brain between the whole board they might require the EO be stamped on the part.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

No, they reminded us it does not need a stick so long as you can verify it without using the internet, or something as equally retarded.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

You can find part numbers on eo stickers. You look up the brand when there isnt one. Find the car on the brand website and it shows all of the intakes available. It also shows replacement filters for that kit too.  I've seen part numbers directly on throttle body spacers and exhaust headers as well.

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

cosmokramertheassman wrote
I go one more step and use my label maker and put the EO# and part description near the part or by the underhood label. It saves me time two years later and hopefully saves my STAR score if it goes somewhere else.

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

cosmokramertheassman
I didn't forget anything. I don't test in the future. I test the car as it shows up to my shop that day. I couldn't care less what happens when the "next guy" tests it. As long as I test it properly while its in my possession, all that other nonsense is out of my control.

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

My point was the part number is not on the actual part, if it is on the sticker you could put in on any intake and the tech would pass it off of ARB's EO database mistakenly. So BARB says a visual match is not ok with just the internet and only if you can find a part number that is only found on a sticker, that falls off in a hot engine bay. This is clearly retarded.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

Thick6
I almost always make the customer dig up the CARB#. It's part training customers and that way the know for next time so I don't dinged when the next guy fails it for a missing #.

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Cosmo, maybe you are lucky. Try running 6 months to a year with out STAR. Put up with the crap of the BAR wants to pull your STAR because of FPR.

 This is what gets me about all of this, WHAT PART OF ILLEGAL DON"T YOU UNDERSTAND?
The law was made. It didn't say maybe this maybe that. It tells you the EO label needs to be on the vehicle.

 What part do we as a people not understand.

 I went without STAR for a Year DAMN NEAR WENT BK

Re: Aftermarket intakes.. do you fail or pass them when no carb number is present?

D, you are absolutely correct .HOw are we supposed to identify the INTake with NO part number ? .I hate this gray area , there is no room for Grey areas in this field ! YEs the BAR gave us a book to follow that says you don't neceserraly have to fail it if you can identify it . AND HOW do we identify the part boys and girls we look for a K and N or AEM etc . Then we print out the paper that shows an image of an intake that looks JUST like the one on the car .
   But then ,BAR just to make life a little harder for all of us says YOU CANT USE THE INTERNET TO IDENTIFY PARTS .
12