Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

drivecycle

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

none
Read appendix G http://smogcheck.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_Reference_Guide.pdf

You should probably read the whole guide and this one too. http://smogcheck.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_Manual_ENG_2013.pdf

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

Newbiesmogtech
Arizona iced tea is delicious

I usually just write it down on invoice Bar97 doesn't ask.

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

Voltron
arizona-ice-tea wrote
Do we have to verify aftermarket parts when smogging on BAR 97
Really......Really......yes

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

drivecycle
I know what Smog manual says but it doesn't tell you how to verify a/m parts on the BAR 97

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

arizona,

Where have you been? This is nothing new!

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

Actually in the 2013 manual on page 15 (section 1.3.1) it goes into some detail about it that you enter a fail for that in the "Other Emission Related Components/Systems" category and document why.

Just to make sure I understand what you are asking, You are talking about how to DOCUMENT after market parts that YOU HAVE VERIFIED, right. The BAR -OIS does not verify the parts for you when you punch the numbers in. I think you understand that but just wanted to clear that up if that was the case.

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

drivecycle
The point of having a forum is to ask questions  so don't tell me to just read the manual. I don't have time to do that when I'm in the middle of doing a smog.

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

scanner
arizona-ice-tea wrote
The point of having a forum is to ask questions  so don't tell me to just read the manual. I don't have time to do that when I'm in the middle of doing a smog.
Wow, not even a Thank you.  None is one of the most informative techs on this board, and you give him crap.

I guess you're the only one that's busy.   No time to read the documentation all techs should have read at least once.

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

drivecycle
Yes but its not referenced in the table of contents so it's not easy to find which is why I am here to ask.

There's nothing in the TOC about 'aftermarket parts' in particular.

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

drivecycle
Just because you read a book or a manual oesn't mean you're going to remember everything
In it unless you're a damn robot.

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

Kriss Vector

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

WTF, ICE T
arizona-ice-tea wrote
Yes but its not referenced in the table of contents so it's not easy to find which is why I am here to ask.

There's nothing in the TOC about 'aftermarket parts' in particular.
In the first post I said "read appendix G" then I put a link to the guide. You didn't need to find anything.

In the next post I told you what page and section in the 2013 manual and how to enter it. What more did you want me to do?

IF YOU ARE TOO LAZY to click on the link I provided and look at the pages I provided I can't help you. Did you expect me to stop running my business and hold your hand through this? I told you where you could find it. If I tell you something and its not in writing in the rules it won't do you any good when BAR busts you.

In the previous posts I didn't mean to sound demeaning or cocky, NOW I DO. If you chose this as you career I highly recommend you read the rule books I linked. IT IS YOUR JOB, LEARN IT!

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

drivecycle
none wrote
WTF, ICE T
arizona-ice-tea wrote
[...]

There is no Appendix G in the smog manual genius. And it (appendix g) doesn't tell you how to enter the information.

If you don't want to answer the question then don't answer it don't try to be an effing a-hole about it, no one is forcing you to do anything. I work in a high income area and rarely smog vehicles on the BAR 97 anymore. It could be days or weeks in between before I smog a car on the old machine. When you don't do something on a regular basis its easy to forget the details of how to do it.

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

INLANDSMOG
1.3.1 Visual Inspection Procedures
Vehicle Emission Control Requirements: Inspectors must use all available information necessary to determine the vehicle’s emission control requirements, including but not limited to, the underhood emission control label (see section 1.3.2), a current emission control application guide, emission control repair manuals, emission component location guides, manufacturer emission control recalls, vacuum hose routing diagrams, California Air Resources Board (CARB) aftermarket parts listings, the aftermarket part label (see section 1.3.2), and any reliable vehicle manufacturer sources. Note: Some diesel-powered vehicles are equipped with a second or additional emission control label affixed to the engine.
Pass/Fail Criteria: To pass inspection, the required emission control system(s) must be complete and installed in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer’s original California or Federal certified configuration, or, when applicable, in accordance with a CARB aftermarket configuration. If any required emission control systems are found to be tampered or defective, the vehicle shall fail the inspection. For tampered and defective definitions, see section 1.3.5.
If a vehicle is equipped with parts that modify the original emission control configuration, inspectors must verify whether those parts are CARB approved or exempted. If the installed parts are not CARB approved or exempted, and the original emissions control configuration has been modified, the corresponding emission controls are considered “Modified” and the vehicle shall fail the inspection.
Not all aftermarket parts modify the original emission control configuration, and therefore do not require CARB approval. For more information, see the “Aftermarket Parts Verification Guidelines”, located in the Smog Check Guide.

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

arizona-ice-tea wrote
There is no Appendix G in the smog manual genius. And it (appendix g) doesn't tell you how to enter the information.
Well you are right for once. There is no appendix G in the 2013 manual. IT IS THE SMOG CHECK REFERENCE GUIDE I LINKED IN THE FIRST POST.  You didn't ask ask how to enter it, YOU ASKED IF YOU HAVE TO VERIFY IT!

I may be a "effing a-hole" but at least I can read.

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

justa
Banned User

Re: Aftermarket parts on BAR 97

FiendFX
I wonder how did he passed his smog exam...
12