Am I the Only one?

Johnnybeme
I do not retest for free unless there are repairs involved. Am I the only one????????????

JM

Charge more and be happy!

Re: Am I the Only one?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Free here and I HATE IT. Nothing like giving a test at half price.

Re: Am I the Only one?

none
I don't retest for free at all. It will cost you the SGS fee and the credit card fee at the very least. I do half price retest within 30 days with all self tests complete.

Re: Am I the Only one?

Upnya

Guy down the street advertising this.
Pretty much have to give a free retest
Everybody out here does.

Re: Am I the Only one?

Hard Nox
Free Retest within 30 days. Monitor Status is checked for complete.
Previous system that Failed must be complete without any pending DTCs anywhere.
Sometimes will let EVAP readiness go if not related to what I'm looking for.

If I feel the customer is being straight and honest with attitude and effective approach towards doing the right thing the 30 day limit may be waived within reason.  Attitude and Honesty is weighed.

My customers do return year after year.  Their neighbors check in.  I stay busy and make a fair living.

Re: Am I the Only one?

My guess is that SMG is doing that coupon as a loss leader to get repair work. I can't imagine that rent is very cheap in Mid-Town anymore now that it is the new cool place unless this is further out.

The guy's YELP reviews are pretty good too. The only low ones are people who didn't even get a test and were charged nothing.

Re: Am I the Only one?

XXAMM1
No free anything,I'll discount a re-test $10-$20 depending on how good a customer.
Rent, insurance ,electric do they give anything for free?Doctors and Lawyers no way.
I'll never understand pass or no pay.Why give your time away.Don't you value your profession?
It takes skill and training to be a Smog Tech.Tools,updates,equipment.The $19 smog shops
are dragging the industry down.You are telling people the skill for a smog test is less than an quickie lube.

Re: Am I the Only one?

defective
I wonder how those $19 smog shops will fair in the next 2 years since the newer car initial smog will be pushed back to 8 years.  Hopefully everyone raises their prices...

Re: Am I the Only one?

Troll
Count on more whores entering the biz.  Especially with the tests and requirements for smog license have been "dummied down".  and with the state issuing star within a month of opening, and only a 5 day suspension of star in a lot of cases- the price will keep on dropping.

Re: Am I the Only one?

defective wrote
I wonder how those $19 smog shops will fair in the next 2 years since the newer car initial smog will be pushed back to 8 years.  Hopefully everyone raises their prices...
I wonder if it will be the end of the large number of TEST ONLY stations. The coupon that was posted is a repair shop. I think he is doing it as advertisement (loss leader).

Re: Am I the Only one?

defective
I could see how it could end most, but they could just pop back up again in two years.

Re: Am I the Only one?

Johnnybeme wrote
I do not retest for free unless there are repairs involved. Am I the only one????????????

JM

Charge more and be happy!
everyone that dose do pass or no pay usually only for 2000-up. i dont advertise at all, if they pull in asking if we do pass or no pay and its 2000-up ill just say yes. check monitors either tell em to complete monitors or run test,engine light on? punt them and move on to the next. the fact you didnt take their money when we obviously know its gonna fail because the light is on keeps them coming back and they respect that you are actually helping them. i remind them fix it anyone else would have ran the test and charged you. lil help goes a long way, most of the time they will pass why let money walk out the door over a simple question, the customer just wants that extra reassurance, they dont know what we are looking for or why it can fail, or how simple it is to pass now a days.

engine light on and they want the fail for retirement or an extension? sorry we dont do pass or no pay, failures are 46.75 but i can do 20. or drive to the next town 20-30 min away and wait around another 20-30min. but still only 2000-up make them feel special. with out being creepy tho

the only benefit i see form pass or no pay is your failure rate goes higher? i think, and yes the smog related repairs also offset the no pay cost. i would rather do pass or free retest. within ex amount of days ONLY WITH REPAIRS COMPLETED.

Charge more be happy

Re: Am I the Only one?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Pass or don't Pay is a MAJOR can of worms.

Re: Am I the Only one?

BASIC, You bring up a good point though. I don't run the test if the check engine light is on. I don't see them all back but most really appreciate it.

Re: Am I the Only one?

Respectfully yes and no.  The obvious visual, smokers, missing exhaust, mil on, expired tags, steel chords on tires, driving on temporary spare, hoarders car, lifted, gold wheels or teeth. -f them. When I get one which i've done thousands of, - I'll tell em no coupon, full pop, -in writing, and I'll check plate history for shoppers.  and no tempos, taurus's,, old cads, ice cream trucks. No checks also on these deals. All in writing and customer initials it too. I've been burned from time to time of course,, but boy is it nice when its a full pop easy one..

Re: Am I the Only one?

Just curious, why a 30 day time limit on free retest? I had a customer ask me this once and I couldn't think of an answer.
Charity begins at work

Re: Am I the Only one?

Troll
give em some bs that the car is still in the tas database, and the entries are already done.  all the data entry is already done. Or just make up some bs regarding the machine and the state program.

Re: Am I the Only one?

SoCalSmogGuy
We have 30-day free re-test but I see your point.

Maybe a better way to word it is ONE free re-test. Logically shouldn't matter if they came back in a month or a year if you are only going to re-test it once.
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: Am I the Only one?

BasicTech678
SoCalSmogGuy wrote
We have 30-day free re-test but I see your point.

Maybe a better way to word it is ONE free re-test. Logically shouldn't matter if they came back in a month or a year if you are only going to re-test it once.
the only reason i can see is, what if one day you end up with 8+ free retest in a single day, all 30+ days old kinda shoot your self in the foot, 30 days is a reasonable amount of time.

Re: Am I the Only one?

dano
In a perfect world 30 days would be fair. Factor in untrained parts throwing
technician and monitor running bumps and then the fact people do have to
work, 90 days is a little more fair....
12