Am I thinking too much or is this incorrect?

Am I thinking too much or is this incorrect?

Kriss Vector

Re: Am I thinking too much or is this incorrect?

Midnightdrummer
I'm sure the experts will chime in, but my take on it is... Extremely lean conditions will make the cylinders much hotter and can also cause pinging. Very rich conditions will cause the cat to overheat and can cause it to melt. Just think about a misfire. The raw fuel can damage the CAT in no time.

Re: Am I thinking too much or is this incorrect?

The converter burns HC, so more HC=heat and melty cat.

I was trying to diagnose a misfire once, many HC's going through the cat, it got cherry red and I had to hit it with a fire extinguisher.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Am I thinking too much or is this incorrect?

Kriss Vector wrote
I know for sure lean conditions overheat the catalytic converter, NOT rich condition: http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/catalytic-converter-clogged.html
That would be true if you had a 70's system with an air pump pushing air through the exhaust system all the time.

On more recent builds, once the O2 is depleted, any excess HC would only serve to cool the catalytic converter.   No O2, no fire, no heat.

EDIT:  A misfire is NOT a rich mixture.    A misfire will cause an overheated cat.   Instead of burning in the cylinder, the mixture burns in the cat.

Re: Am I thinking too much or is this incorrect?

Kriss Vector

Re: Am I thinking too much or is this incorrect?

Midnightdrummer
scanner wrote
EDIT:  A misfire is NOT a rich mixture.    A misfire will cause an overheated cat.   Instead of burning in the cylinder, the mixture burns in the cat.
Ah yes. Guess I worded that wrong.

Re: Am I thinking too much or is this incorrect?

Dammit Scanner, I should never post until you do.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!