An honest discussion about ASM tests

JAJAJAJA-BAR
I work in a very nice area of North San Diego near the beach. There are 4 shops that do smogs. Nobody but us does regularly does ASM tests they always try to send their junk to us. I believe they do them every once and while but we get sent them all of the time. Customers with these older cars always say "every shops machine is broken or they won't touch it"

As a consumer I was up north visiting family and was retiring my friends truck as a favor. Shops would not touch it. The only shop that would had all junk in their lot. It was very frustrating for me. But I know what it's like and I was just basically thinking that I wish the shops would just charge me what it takes to make it worth it for them to do. Is that 100 bucks? fine! we charge 80 bucks for most ASM tests. People never complain. When they do we are more than fine with them taking their business elsewhere.

I think that shops need to charge a correct amount for this type of work. Instead of just telling the customer to go away. I can do 5 OIS smogs in the time I could do one ASM. That's a game changer. It makes it not worth it for me to take an asm and listen to that stupid dial up noise from the mid 90's Its bullshit...And thats not even including timing and evap cars. What a nightmare. None of us should be ashamed to charge for our work. Not to mention the service contracts and calibration gases and evap gas. You would be making far less to do an asm smog that takes four times as long when you figure the operating costs and time.

Break it down like this. We have been open for 15 years. An ois smog is 60 bucks. We have not raised those prices in 15 years. I think it is a fair price. Adjust for inflation and that goes to 84 dollars. We do not give ourselves raises. Everybody else does. Everything is expensive in California. A pizza is 20 bucks, a chevy truck is like 70K an iPhone is 1,000 bucks now. It really is a bad business to get into especially today. Shops really start charging more money.

Why do we do this to ourselves? If I go to a mechanic and have them pressure test my gas tank and check my ignition timing, that right there would be 100 bucks, EASY. With all of the licensing and tools required to do a full asm smog check I think realistically it should cost north of a 100 dollars. I just do not understand, like the guy here always says CHARGE MORE AND BE HAPPY!

Re: An honest discussion about ASM tests

none
JAJAJAJA-BAR wrote
...I can do 5 OIS smogs in the time I could do one ASM. That's a game changer. It makes it not worth it for me to take an asm and listen to that stupid dial up noise from the mid 90's Its bullshit...And thats not even including timing and evap cars. ...
I figure the time it takes to do a smog from the time we START to write up the car until it is CASHED OUT. I cannot do 5 ASM to 1 OIS. Many newer cars have the evap canisters and PCV systems harder to see and throw in looking up OBDII cat numbers and I will say OIS takes less time but not THAT MUCH less.

I charge more for them but my prices are not as high as yours. 1985 and older is just over double what OIS is now. In April I will raise my prices on 1999 and older again.

Re: An honest discussion about ASM tests

These days, the the main reason for owning a BAR 97 is to do directed OIS cars. I see the exact same thing you do where I'm at.  The question is: how operational do these machines have to be?

I think that as the 8 year exemption starts straining our volume, stations in affluent areas like ours will become more grateful for any testing we can get!
If you are going to be part of the drug culture, have a little drug culture.

Re: An honest discussion about ASM tests

Best Answer I Can Give
Tamper to answer your question. Last I heard the BAR wants to see a New ASM machine calibrated once a month.
 You must have one. Do a calibration once a month and you keep your STAR score. NOW how fucked up is THAT?
 STAR is based on Correct gear selection. If you did a OBD test. Well you can't give a cert out on OIS without one. Did you do the needed Evap test? Did you do the needed timing? If a shop does not want to participate in the ways that are needed to make up a complete report card, as in doing the test, why should they be given a score, they are not willing to work with, or be part of.
How can you have a complete STAR Score if you won't do what you are being graded on?

 Notice the only winners are WW and Opus? Those of us who do the vehicles, do the vehicles as presented. We are the ones who suffer.

 Kind of funny to me. They pull my STAR, WHO IN THE HELL are going to do the older cars?

 Why does the BAR REWARD shops that will not play by the STAR Rules?

Re: An honest discussion about ASM tests

I'm sure I'm not in an "AFFLUENT AREA" but the majority of the pre-OBDII cars I see are from people who can afford to have an additional car for fun. Whether it is a Porsche 911 or a Jeep. I don't just let my BAR97 machines collect dust as I still do plent of them and make money on them but when it is really busy I will ovoid doing too many.

The funny part is I smogged an older clean Jaguar and a Mercedes SL this morning and these people are always the ones who will acted shocked at the price but the guy with the old beater truck will just go with it.

Re: An honest discussion about ASM tests

deathbysmog
Bar needs to draw a line in the sand on this one, If you want to be a star station you need to smog bar97 cars, not just have a bar97 sitting in the shop. If you don't want to smog old cars then don't be a star station it's that simple. I'm in the same boat as you, most of the junk ends up at my shop, because everyone's bar97 is "not working". It really is frustrating when your smoging something like a 92 cadi and you lose 3 ois cars in a row because they don't wanna wait for the old junk to finish.

Re: An honest discussion about ASM tests

D Rochells 150861
I feel your guys pain on this one, I am the designated junk test in this area. I blame the problem on the silly one man business model and bar licensing.  Inexperienced techs should not be forced to test cars they have no experience with, and they should be working with more experienced techs who can teach them where the SPOUT connector is et al.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: An honest discussion about ASM tests

Re: An honest discussion about ASM tests

Death

I will smog cars that I want to smog. Period. My machine is working and everything required is current. No one tells me who to deal with. The BAR knows this and they could care less. The have a game and we have a game. We are not public servants and we still insulate the consumer from the reality of the smog program. I have refused service to people who live in their car, people who severely neglect their car and people who just had a bad attitude. Why else would I be in business for myself if I could not make these decisions? Charge more and you will feel happier!

Re: An honest discussion about ASM tests

Best Answer I Can Give
JM, 100% right. But you are wrong.
It is MY business. If I want to do a vehicle it is MY CHOICE.
If I want to SIGN UP to do STAR,that is MY  CHOICE.

 Now where you are wrong is, if you want to PLAY in THEIR sand box, IE sign up, you must follow THEIR RULES.
Now the rules should also be you can't pick or choose a vehicle. TEST AS PRESENTED.
STAR is based on 11 things, The SCORE Card\Report Card is made up of those things. If you are not willing to fill out the REPORT, do the things needed to FILL out the CARD. NO STAR!

 The WHOLE Program is BASED on NUMBER'S. Vehicle pulls up, WHY? Why did it pull up to that shop? What is the shop doing that others are not?
By shops not doing them as PRESENTED are they not SKEWING THE NUMBER'S?
A shop that has all  monitors complete, is that shop skewing the TRUE Number? NO THEY ARE PRECHECKING. SKEWING THE TRUE DATA\NUMBER'S
A shop that will not do a manual, SKEWING THE NUMBER'S. But they have a .99
A shop that will not do a Vehicle because "It might DING the .99" Are they FOLLOWING THE RULES. NO One of the rule should be TEST AS PRESENTED.

 MY choice to do the vehicle. MY choice to follow the rules. YES. But these are the rules. GIVE US 100% accurate NUMBER'S. TEST AS PRESENTED.
The shop that has the .99 because they will not do a vehicle that may DING the shop SCORE? WHO IS THE BIGGER CHEATER?

Re: An honest discussion about ASM tests

Johnnybeme
Ridiculous Besta!

I am cheating the numbers because I have business standards? Please............. The day that the BAR says I have to test a vehicle just cause it showed up is the day I drop the program. BAR realizes we have right of refusal. They realize that to take the program over would be an extreme burden that they do not want to tackle. You find the numbers important but I find them irrelevant cause they are based in very shaky statistical basis. Since the game is rigged I say play the best way you can but not break the rules. There is no rule saying I cannot look up test history and act accordingly. There is no rule saying that I cannot pick the vehicle to test from the pool that is presented to me. The is no rule that says that my experience with a certain make and model causes me to find my machine not in calibration. We find the rules suck sometimes but they are important to understanding this game.

Re: An honest discussion about ASM tests

D Rochells 150861
And if we had a useful system this would not be an issue. Testing centers should have a procedure for each make and model that is accessible to all techs, test time for each make and model should be established. Each vehicle needs to have records of repairs and EO's that can be accessed to facilitate inspection and maintenance. Technicians should not be put in any position that facilitates fraud or degrades work performance.

This is very basic stuff, the whole of humanity's psychological understanding and observation of 3rd world countries backs my argument.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: An honest discussion about ASM tests

Ain't it so true about the mbz and jag customers crying, while the working bean with the truck just pays with no coupon either.

Re: An honest discussion about ASM tests

 Ridiculous? You bet your sweet ass it is.
The WHOLE FUCKING STAR program is PLAIN OUT FUCKING STUPID.

 If you read the first post, and what my BITCH is, you got shops with a STAR Score of .99. BUT THEY ARE FUCKING CHEATING. Not all .99 are cheaters. But there is a bunch out there.

 TRUE NUMBERS= Test as presented.
The shop not testing a vehicle because it's short a monitor. Is it truly telling those in charge what is ACTUALLY happening in the world.

 The most STUPID, RIDICULOUS thing is, IT'S ALL OVER A F ING NUMBER.

  His post was about the fact that shop's who are willing to do what the BAR and STAR want, WE GET FUCKED. While the PRE CHECKERS get a .99. The TRUE CHEATERS. The ones that are SKEWING THE NUMBERS