An obvious tragic scenario

Banned
Here's a scenario that I can guaranty will play out many times. Bill is a very
experienced tech, and has worked at a test only for many years. He knows what
he is doing, and will always give repeat customers the benefit of the doubt.
He does not break any rules, but will err on the side of what's best for the
customer in the big picture. If you've smogged in the tens of thousands of
vehicles, like I have, you know what I mean. So one day his boss informs him
that he has to let him go. The boss, hopefully, but not necessarily, would be
honest, and just flat out tell him that there are many techs who will work for
close to minimum wage. This is an obvious STAR problem, is that new techs will
have to totally kiss ass, just to get their foot in the door, so to speak. Bill,
being well known in the smog community, has no problem getting another job, and
things seem to be fine. In the mean time, Bill's ex boss hires one of those
newbies, who now has to prove that he wants to do a good job, and perhaps he
really does. So what's the ONLY way a newbie can demonstrate that he's making
a sincere effort? It would have to be SHORT TERM FAILURES. So Mr. "wet behind
the ears" starts to fail cars for crazy things, like gas caps, instead of
selling the customer a new one on the spot, he fails it and runs a retest, to
get a high short term failure rate. Instead of 1 or 2 plunges on the accelerator,
he may give 3 or 4, to make absolute certain that nothing resembling smoke is
seen. He may fail one for a little vacuum line disconnected, instead of
reconnecting it, which is allowed under test only rules. He probably ends up
pinching some A/C lines, as was mentioned in another thread. You should get the
point here. In the mean time, Bill has done a continuing great job, in his usual
common sense way. At some point in the future, Bill's FPR score drops
dramatically and he is totally caught off guard. His new boss informs him that
he can't keep him, and lets him go. At this point he's screwed, because nobody
will hire him. So the 2nd boss hires yet another newbie to replace him, and
THIS new kid does the same damn things as the one who fucked him up in the first
place. At some point in the future, the unemployed Bill expects the FPR score to
self correct, but discovers yet another newbie has made his life drag on for years,
in the ranks of the unemployed. So at what point does Bill become viable as an
employee? A perfect tech, screwed by a brainless system. And the final word, as
it always will be, another example of how ANY judge with thalf a brain will shit can
this program.

Re: An obvious tragic scenario

ClassActionSuit
I hope what a previous poster said is not true.  That there will be no lawsuit.  But I am beginning to believe that is the truth.  Why no more talk of another conference call.  If it ever comes to the point of me failing on my FPR and no word of a lawsuit I will try and find an attorney on my own.  I also hope no one is dumb enough to lower their prices.  With all the stress and anxiety this program is causing even the best of tech's we should be raising our prices.  Don't sell your self short.  EVERY single customer I tell about the FPR they nearly fall down from disbelief.  There is no way ANYONE can believe that the state can get away with this.  But I think unless we unite together as the intelligent people we know we are this is going to become a reality.  Only when the cocky smog tech's like Mike take a hit from this will they understand what is truly happening.  I just hope we haven't put all our eggs in one basket.  That is depending on one attorney to stand up for what is right.  As far as the language in here goes what it shows is a bunch of technicians frustration with the injustices being done to them.  I am sure each one of us when put in a professional situation would not be using the same language.  What this gives us here is a chance to vent.  I for one appreciate this site if for nothing else at least being able to put our thoughts and frustrations out there.  We have every thing to lose right now....and this program is a form of torture in my book because we have no way to fight back...they are blind siding us with our hands tight behind our backs...all we have are our voices....

Re: An obvious tragic scenario

Banned
If this makes any difference, I have some inside info that the lawsuit will be filed by the end of this week. I won't elaborate, but I'm being honest here. We may, or may not hear about it, the moment it happens. I don't know how connected Mr. Ferreira is with this site, but hopefully he'll keep us updated. Just keep your fingers crossed.