An problem with a referee

CHRIS

Re: An problem with a referee

WealdstoneRaider

Re: An problem with a referee

CHRIS

Re: An problem with a referee

WealdstoneRaider
Read carefully. It doesn't state to verify part number, only check for "CA" and "OBD II" stamps on those old style aftermarket converters. If you're unsure about "stuff" don't smog and fail car. You never know if customer will place a complaint and then you'll have to explain yourself to a representative.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: An problem with a referee

Evaponly818
I agree with you Chris, should have at least had the OBD2 stamp. I mean cmon it’s a 2000+

Re: An problem with a referee

Evaponly818
WealdstoneRaider wrote
If you're unsure about "stuff" don't smog and fail car. You never know if customer will place a complaint and then you'll have to explain yourself to a representative.
I 100% of the time don’t understand you guys who say that if you’re unsure about it don’t test it??
Seems like you guys go thru the whole inspection before even writing down anything on the invoice. Not me, pull up I’m putting into the system and going thru the inspection. How would you know ahead of time that it’s something you’re not sure of?? I think Chris didn’t do the wrong thing. At least have the OBD2 stamp on it.

Re: An problem with a referee

none
It is an OBDII cat though so I'm sure it was stamped "OBDII compliant" or some variation. https://support.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_converters/02product/universalCARB/460.asp
I would have passed it. I hope it wasn't my FPR you needlessly just F...ed up.

Re: An problem with a referee

smog frogposter
if the aftermarket part is determined to be illegible, you fail it and make a note on the work order with the illegible information and send it to the referee, I have a feeling that the customer is playing you by pretending to be the referee.

Re: An problem with a referee

CHRIS
Even if it says obd2, we still have to verify if it fits for that year make and model. There are some big trucks with obd 2 standards. You can't install a catalytic convertor for a passenger car on a truck. But I am assuming that you don't know where to go on the arb website to verify these catalytic with old style number. Stop worrying about your score because the car was tampered also 2 years ago and the referee passed it. I failed again this year.

Re: An problem with a referee

none
CHRIS wrote
Even if it says obd2, we still have to verify if it fits for that year make and model.
Not according to the new rule book. Page 50 https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/2017_Smog_Check_Manual.pdf

CHRIS wrote
 You can't install a catalytic convertor for a passenger car on a truck. But I am assuming that you don't know where to go on the arb website to verify these catalytic with old style number.
That I do know but we weren't required to check that before 2009 and we still aren't required to on the ones that the date stamp is pre-2009. We were always required to check that it had a "CA" and "OBDII" stamp which many people didn't do back then.

Re: An problem with a referee

WealdstoneRaider
Here's where it says it needs the CA and OBD II stamp only and not verify part number  for the '' old style'' converters https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/amcatlabel.pdf
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: An problem with a referee

CHRIS wrote
Stop worrying about your score because the car was tampered also 2 years ago and the referee passed it. I failed again this year.
No wonder the ref got mad at you, you're fucking up his score.
Al

Re: An problem with a referee

Al
CHRIS wrote
Hi all,

I had a 2004 toyota tundra 4.7 in my shop for smog a week ago. The truck has an aftermarket catalytic with the old style number (CA/CE 46000). So I checked the number in the pdf file for that series number and it does not fit on that truck so I failed it. The customer started arguing with me and I sent him to a referee.

Today, the referee called me and he was kind of upset because i didn't pass the car. He said the cat does not have an EO number and it has old style number which We can't verify so you need to pass it according to the bar manuel. I had an argument with the referee on the phone.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong or the referee?

Thanks
I would have failed it also. Not good for any 2004 year model Toyota trucks with v8 motor. Plus the referee should have put a label on it for future reference if he wanted it to be legal. I have failed lots of those. Luckily my local field guys are the ones who told me to refer it and don't mind me documenting their names on the W.O. when sending them to the ref.

Re: An problem with a referee

bayareasmog
You are NOT supposed to fail any vehicle with OBD2, with an OBD2/CA compliant catalytic converter pre-2009. They did not check for anything beyond that before 2009. Quit failing these cars and damaging other technicians scores. I hope BAR puts a stop to this.

Re: An problem with a referee

CHRIS wrote
- deleted -
lol deleting dont help or erase your post its already been quoted. it can help others along the way from making or not making the same mistake

Re: An problem with a referee

smog frogposter
This begs the question, when determining a pre 2009 Catalyst with the "CA" embossed lettering that is applicable for the vehicle, what do you input on the part where the EIS prompts "Does the vehicle have aftermarket parts that require a CARB EO Number?" Would you hit yes and leave the CARB number fields blank and make a note on the messages?

Re: An problem with a referee

CHRIS
Al, I totally agree with you. There is no proof also the customer installed the cat before 2009. I deleted the post because i see a lot of rude people here. George lane by himself showed my frineds how to check these old catalysts.
Al

Re: An problem with a referee

Al
CHRIS wrote
Al, I totally agree with you. There is no proof also the customer installed the cat before 2009. I deleted the post because i see a lot of rude people here. George lane by himself showed my frineds how to check these old catalysts.
did you happen to check for a referee label?

Re: An problem with a referee

RICHARDCRANIUM
I am not sure the referee would even call you. All of my dealings with a referee have been bad and 90% of the time it is a new kid fresh out of school who just does not know what he is doing yet.
Shop owner 21 Years, 36+ year Smog Technician.
Inspector and repair Tech. I began in the BAR 84 platform.
Been current ever since. Momma said I hit my head a lot as a kid!

Re: An problem with a referee

CHRIS wrote
. I deleted the post because i see a lot of rude people here.
Are you talking about BESTA?
12