Analyzer Skipping the Cap Test functional

Analyzer Skipping the Cap Test functional

Smogtechsunited
Anyone ever have the anaylzer automatically skip the gas cap functional check on 1999 and older cars? I had a tech that made this claim before, but I did not believe him until it happened to me at a different station.

Re: Analyzer Skipping the Cap Test functional

kfworry
I've only seen the gas cap test by-passed on older vehicles without an EVAP
canister.

Re: Analyzer Skipping the Cap Test functional

FIRWALKER
Ihave experienced this also, my analzer is a Sun Snap on . be aware this can a tactic of BAR!

Re: Analyzer Skipping the Cap Test functional

Accused
Go back and look at the VIR to see if you entered EVAP as N/A.  It is supposed to skip the cap test on non evap cars because they require a vented cap in most cases.

Re: Analyzer Skipping the Cap Test functional

just another shop owner
 Impossible, the BAR approved the machine, the machine can't be wrong.

Re: Analyzer Skipping the Cap Test functional

kilativ
You entered EVAP visual as N/A. Happened to me couple times.

garbage in, garbage out.

I thought the same thing! Mine is an ESP.

Re: Analyzer Skipping the Cap Test functional

Smogtechsunited
Thanks for the info! The Car in question was a 1990 Mercedes 300E 2.6l. The vehicle had no label and the emissions control guide listed the vehicle as having no Evap. This makes sense!

Re: Analyzer Skipping the Cap Test functional

goodolbob
oh u fubar'ed

Re: Analyzer Skipping the Cap Test functional

C'mon, Smogtech,

Evaporative emissions controls have been in continuous use on all US-sold gasoline-powered passenger cars and light trucks since the late seventies!

Sheesh,

barrym95838
EO144107

P.S.  I checked my retired 2009 Motor ECS, and found the typo to which you refer, so I guess I shouldn't be quite so hard on you for trying to make up for inexperience by referring to the book, even if it's obviously wrong.  Keep up the good effort, and you'll eventually be better equipped to recognize bullshit when it's presented to you.

Re: Analyzer Skipping the Cap Test functional

Just another shop owner
This all goes back to the old farts. The guy who works for me 3 yrs is all he has in. Great guy, hard worker but does not have the years.
How the hell and where is the program that will replace what is in our heads?