Another aftermarket Cat question

GrossPolluter
How are you techs going about with these aftermarket Cats with NO EO#s but have the OBDII compliant and series# stamped on them? Pass? Fail? Direct them to a Referee?

Re: Another aftermarket Cat question

kfworry
Did you ever think they are Factory/OEM Cats that don't come stamped with a CARB EO#??

Re: Another aftermarket Cat question

GrossPolluter wrote
How are you techs going about with these aftermarket Cats with NO EO#s but have the OBDII compliant and series# stamped on them? Pass? Fail? Direct them to a Referee?
I will PASS them.

Re: Another aftermarket Cat question

defective
"Smog Check Inspectors must check that all required catalytic converters (CATs) are present
and appear to be properly installed. This includes making sure there are the correct number
of CATs, that they are installed in the original location(s), and that they have no tampers or
defects. A change in the number of converters is only acceptable when it is allowed for by
the EO exemption."

paragraph above. "

You need to find out when they were installed first.  If installed before 2009, then do as above, if after 2009, then fail.

Re: Another aftermarket Cat question

You said "Aftermarket CATS" so that says it ALL. It MUST have an EO number. Unless it's one of those OLD CATs then you go by the part number.

Re: Another aftermarket Cat question

If it has the appropriate pre-2009 markings for the application, I pass it and make a written note on the bottom of the VIR.  I do not generally require proof of installation date, because that would be a ridiculous joke in this neighborhood.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: Another aftermarket Cat question

defective wrote
paragraph above. "

You need to find out when they were installed first.  If installed before 2009, then do as above, if after 2009, then fail.
I personally don't worry about WHEN it was installed. You can't buy them after 2009 anyway and only California legal cats were stamped "OBDII COMP".

I also make a note on the VIR. I think BAR has bigger fish to fry than these details and my FPR and SVFR are still OK.

Re: Another aftermarket Cat question

Smogtech
I would pass it, if the welding look fresh I will fail and direct to ref.