Any body get over time pay?

Able
So my tech is asking for a pay raise after only 3 weeks. He's saying there's also no overtime pay.

I wanna cut this hours or let him go already. I'm TEST ONLY just started doing absentee style last month.

Re: Any body get over time pay?

Able
What's the industry like? How are bussines run absentee style. He also has an hour lunch. 9 hour days

Re: Any body get over time pay?

none
You have to pay him overtime or salary. If you chose salary and cut his hours you can't cut his pay and if he takes off for a doctor appointment or school you still have to pay the same. I would just pay overtime and be good.

Re: Any body get over time pay?

Able wrote
What's the industry like? How are bussines run absentee style. ...
Into the ground by what I see around here.

Re: Any body get over time pay?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Who has Who by the BALLS? I want $ 50 an hour. Who has Who by the BALLS?
 I want, I want I want. Who has Who?

 Why should I CARE? That SOB, all he does is comes by and pick up the money I make HIM. Screw that guy. I'm being paid. What do I care?

 Guess what Able, He is talking about YOU.
First off FIRE HIS ASS. He doesn't give a rat's ass. He see's ME and ME ONLY. Blows out a vehicle just because it doesn't COST HIM. Piss one off, Because it DOESN'T COST HIM.

 Notice it DOESN'T COST HIM?
Make it COST HIM.
Salary. Min wage Salary. Then a Percentage of the shop PROFIT.
Blows out a vehicle? It COST HIM. Screws something up? Let it COST HIM. He wants MORE? Well what are you going to do to make us MORE?

 If you are a FAIR and Honest guy, you are not afraid to show him the books. THIS IS WHAT IT COST US.
Make HIM part of the business. You want a lunch hour? It will cost both of us.

 Let HIM KNOW what it COST to run a shop.
 Make sure he will make LESS  money than he is making NOW. That will really make HIM rethink where he stands.

 Just something to think about.

Re: Any body get over time pay?

If it's mon-fri and a hour lunch what overtime is he talking about on a 8 hour shift(hour lunch deducted). I've been running a shop for an absentee owner for the past 3 years, money is good although uncle sam is greedy. He has given me good pay raises throughout the years without me ever asking, I was never the one to ask but show with action instead( although not all owners are like that). Only tricky part is our weekend/backup smog tech left the industry so now If I ever get sick and need a day off the business will suffer for those said days off.

Re: Any body get over time pay?

D Rochells 150861
If you don't get to close the shop and leave for lunch, they have to pay you for the time. It's called on-site meal and it counts towards overtime.

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_mealperiods.htm
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!
Al

Re: Any body get over time pay?

Al
gotta pay overtime if he puts in more than 8 hours a day unless its a 4/10 work week. Do yourself a favor and backpay his overtime before he goes to labor board and you get fined.

I have worked for an absentee owner for over 20 years now. He only comes down to shop maybe 3 times a year.  Works out great for him.
Al

Re: Any body get over time pay?

Al
You need to elaborate more.
10 hour shift with hour lunch? How many actual hours does he work minus his lunch hour? What are his responsibilities? How many cars does he do on average? Whats his pay?

Makes a big difference if you only paying 12$ per hour compared to 25$

Re: Any body get over time pay?

Able wrote
What's the industry like? How are bussines run absentee style. He also has an hour lunch. 9 hour days
not everyone likes one hour lunches, when i was hourly i preferred half hour lunches my commute is an hour long. also after 8 hours if a few smogs where lined up i got 20 Per vehicle. if your star certified and he has a good score pay the man. if your not star certified start looking for his replacement.  commission after 8 hours probably the easiest to keep track of.

Re: Any body get over time pay?

Smogtech
if he work for than 6 hrs.  Must take 1/2 lunch.   Over 8 hrs must pay ot.   LB will get you.

lot of TO stations tech working 9 hrs and take 1 hr lunch without leaving the site.  (but you have to clock in and out,)   Clearsky software does that.

Many dealership got big fined

Re: Any body get over time pay?

Able
Thanks for all the input.

I gained a lot. This is my first business and running it absentee style is very hard.

I was operator/owner the first year and it was great! Good cash flow!

Now it's all headaches. 90% of my problems are from techs.

Thanks again everyone.

Re: Any body get over time pay?

stopstar1234
All I have to say is you get what you pay for... if your paying your tech less then 20 you wont find your tech doing anything extra and find them complaing about everything.. He sees how much income you bring in remember that. always remember they are the reason why you and your family eat.. indeed you do have bills and over head but your still in business working and if you don't have enough business I suggest you spend a little more money in good marketing theres nothing better then marketing.. I mean I personally couldn't live off 20 an hour.. just my 2 cents from business owner to business owner.

I apologize in advance if i offened you in any way... HAPPY SMOGGING

Re: Any body get over time pay?

stopstar1234
I never seen able say anything bad?? The employee only asked for a raise is that a bad thing? for all you know able is maybe paying him min wage (not talking sh*t able) its ok to always ask for a raise California is expensive to live in

Re: Any body get over time pay?

Best Answer I Can Give
 3 weeks and he wants a raise? Prove you are worth the raise. Make the boss want to give you a raise.
 3 Weeks? You knew the pay when you took the job.

Re: Any body get over time pay?

Super Star
In the years I have worked as a TO tech, the only time I got pay raises were when I would find a new job. I found it so frustrating that shop owners couldn't see my value, then I realized that it's impossible to prove your worth when the owner is an absentee owner (not at the shop to see the tech work). At the end of the month, all absentee owners see is how much money is coming in, not the work being put in.

Re: Any body get over time pay?

Best Answer I Can Give
 You guys just don't get it.
WHO OWNS THE SHOP? YOU DO.

 The day you walk in, the day the owner leaves you alone, YOU OWN THE SHOP. The people see you not the absent owner.
First month. How many vehicles did the shop do? How many more is the shop seeing because of YOU?  You walk out and go down the street, HOW MANY GO WITH YOU?
The people know you. Make it worth the boss to KEEP YOU. If the boss does not see that, then WHY IN THE HELL ARE YOU WORKING FOR A JERK

Re: Any body get over time pay?

You guys just don't get it.
WHO OWNS THE SHOP? YOU DO.

 The day you walk in, the day the owner leaves you alone, YOU OWN THE SHOP. The people see you not the absent owner.
First month. How many vehicles did the shop do? How many more is the shop seeing because of YOU?  You walk out and go down the street, HOW MANY GO WITH YOU?
The people know you. Make it worth the boss to KEEP YOU. If the boss does not see that, then WHY IN THE HELL ARE YOU WORKING FOR A JERK
this post your on the tech side

Best Answer I Can Give wrote
3 weeks and he wants a raise? Prove you are worth the raise. Make the boss want to give you a raise.
 3 Weeks? You knew the pay when you took the job.
on this one your on the owners side lol.... im still trying to figure out who's side your on

Re: Any body get over time pay?

Smogtech
many TO tech here only get paid approx $13.25 per HR.  1 blvd +15 TO stations.

Today customer asked how much for smog my car.? $40 OTD.
what ! that too much down the block $30.     and free re-test

San Diego NC

San Diego MC

San Diego EC

Re: Any body get over time pay?

D Rochells 150861
That is not enough money for a job where you can get a citation based on incorrect data.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!