Any cat options for a Fed spec 97 F250 HD?

Any cat options for a Fed spec 97 F250 HD?

BayAreaSmogTech
I have a customer with a 1997 Ford F-250 HD with federal regulations (OBD1). Tried calling the dealer but cats are discontinued and don't see any options on the ARB cat page. Is this one that would need the parts exemption or do we slap an OBD1 cat on it?

Re: Any cat options for a Fed spec 97 F250 HD?

scanner
BayAreaSmogTech wrote
I have a customer with a 1997 Ford F-250 HD with federal regulations (OBD1). Tried calling the dealer but cats are discontinued and don't see any options on the ARB cat page. Is this one that would need the parts exemption or do we slap an OBD1 cat on it?
Since you said CATs, I'll assume it's a 5.8L.   Federal EFN numbers are usually different from California EFN numbers.   Look it up as if it were a California vehicle, without matching the EFN, and use one those cats.

Re: Any cat options for a Fed spec 97 F250 HD?

STAR is Racist

Re: Any cat options for a Fed spec 97 F250 HD?

No One
1997 is not pre-obd.

Re: Any cat options for a Fed spec 97 F250 HD?

BayAreaSmogTech
scanner wrote
BayAreaSmogTech wrote
I have a customer with a 1997 Ford F-250 HD with federal regulations (OBD1). Tried calling the dealer but cats are discontinued and don't see any options on the ARB cat page. Is this one that would need the parts exemption or do we slap an OBD1 cat on it?
Since you said CATs, I'll assume it's a 5.8L.   Federal EFN numbers are usually different from California EFN numbers.   Look it up as if it were a California vehicle, without matching the EFN, and use one those cats.

Yeah its the 5.8L. Thank you, I'll go that route!

Re: Any cat options for a Fed spec 97 F250 HD?

Technician A
STAR is Racist wrote
scanner wrote
Both ways work. I will pass it if it was in my shop.

The instructions for CAT is not about year it's either OBD2 or not. I've failed a few 95 Chevy's that had OBD1 CAT's and the ECS label says  OBD2 certified. So for a 97 F250 OBD1 inmy opinion the only thing that matters is T-1 or T-2, if it had a CAT for an OBD2 97 F250 I would fail it.

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/installcatq&a.pdf

This is why I would pass it with a OBD2 cat installed.

Re: Any cat options for a Fed spec 97 F250 HD?

STAR is Racist wrote
...... So for a 97 F250 OBD1 inmy opinion the only thing that matters is T-1 or T-2, if it had a CAT for an OBD2 97 F250 I would fail it.
If it is a catalytic converter for an OBDII truck it still has the T1 or T2 designation on the PDF. In the official PDF they call them LDT1 or LDT2.

Re: Any cat options for a Fed spec 97 F250 HD?

timmy
none wrote
STAR is Racist wrote
...... So for a 97 F250 OBD1 inmy opinion the only thing that matters is T-1 or T-2, if it had a CAT for an OBD2 97 F250 I would fail it.
If it is a catalytic converter for an OBDII truck it still has the T1 or T2 designation on the PDF. In the official PDF they call them LDT1 or LDT2.
I've been told that T1, T2, PC1, PC2 only apply to pre-OBDII (95 and older), LDT1 or LDT2 refers to weight class (GVWR). Lets take a 1997 Toyota Tacoma for example, the 2.4L (GVWR <5000 lbs) has only 1 CAT and requires a LDT1 CAT (D-182-45). Now same year but 3.4L (GVWR >5000 lbs) still has only 1 CAT but uses a LDT2 CAT (D-182-47). There's also MDV3 (GVWR > 8500 lbs) that uses 1 CAT.

Re: Any cat options for a Fed spec 97 F250 HD?

none
You are right. It is listed as LDT2 but uses one cat.