Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

hello
If so, how do you like it?

The rate is a bit high compared to competitors.

But it's 2.75% flat out, and there's no charge for refunds. There's only an increase in charge when you manually input credit cards.

Whereas I'm currently paying a bunch of garbage fees:

Statement fees
PCI Compliance
Network Fees
Access Fees
Non Qualified
etc.

Square charges 2.75% per transaction even if it's a debit card, but there's no other fees.

You just have to supply your own tablet, paper, printer, and internet service.

Re: Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

Re: Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

hello
That sounds really nice.

I just signed up, hopefully it works out as good as it sounds.

The dial up modem on the current machine is archaic and full of problems.

Re: Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

defective
Switched to Sparkpay(CapitalOne) 2 years ago and never looked back!  Cut our processing fees in half/better tech support/no extra fees.  Pricing is transparent too.  Was originally with FirstData for maybe 6-7 years.  Had to pay extra fees/equipment lease like you.  More traditional POS providers only show you the lowest rate, usually on a "tiered" pricing schedule.  Basically not all cards that you swipe will be the same percentage.  One Visa charged can be a different percentage/fee from the next.  Rewards/mileage/gift/etc cards will all have a different rate, and those rates will change without notice.

At the time, Square tech support was through email only, and it could be days or weeks before they would get back to you.  There were alot of critical reviews about that issue too.  That may be different now though.  If I had any issues, I could actually reach somebody by phone, in the United States with Spark.

The only setup costs we had for Spark was to buy a $200 thermal paper printer.  Fortunately it uses the same paper rolls as our previous FirstData terminal(still have a box full of extra paper).  They sent us 3 card readers(I think they charge for these now), and we repurposed an old Galaxy Note10.2 tablet to take payments/run the app.  I also installed it on my phone in case the tablet or wifi took a crap.  Any updated readers have been issued to us free of charge.  New EMV(chip) readers are supposed to be issued in the coming months.  PCI compliance is all included too.

Tiered pricing: https://www.cardfellow.com/tiered-pricing-merchant-account-services/

Spark pricing:  https://www.sparkpay.com/sellinperson/pricing

Re: Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

mikesmobile
I use it to process payments.
Anyone can qualify for it as long as your credit is ok.
Just like it to your bank account. They will send you a free swiper too.
No complaints.
Mike

Re: Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

hello wrote
If so, how do you like it?
It works for me.  I never used to take credit cards, only cash or check.   I would lose a sale once in a while, but now credit card sales accounts for about a 1/3 of payments received.

The rate is a bit high compared to competitors.
I've got nothing to compare it to, but a TO down the street says processing Amex can be ~4%.   I would think having Square is great if you do a lot of Amex cards.

But it's 2.75% flat out, and there's no charge for refunds. There's only an increase in charge when you manually input credit cards.
It's 3.5% + $0.15 for manually inputted cards.  I took a credit card from a student's parent from Arizona over the phone.

You just have to supply your own tablet, paper, printer, and internet service.
I collect payment on my S4 smartphone.   If I need to review or print out a transaction, I'll do it from the website.    I recently received my chip and pin reader.

Re: Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

feelthevibe
switched to square 5 years ago and never looked back. deposits are posted next day and fees are deducted immediately.

Re: Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

cosmokramertheassman
I've been using Square for about a month now. No complaints. I can accept swipe and chip cards now. I got sick of paying all the fees that go along with traditional merchant services.

Re: Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

scanner wrote
[...]

hey scanner are you still using square? im currently paying between 280-400 monthly its getting too pricy i was with cayan but they got bought out by tsys and ever since price doubled up on me. im only doing between 6-8k swipe monthly. im looking at the square terminal with built in printer. if i go based on the rate and my last month transaction number i could save around 150+ which is a good amount to switch over.

anyone else using square or any other affordable card processor.

any info greatly appreciated thank you in advance

any info greatly appreciated thank you in advance
Im starting to take zelle payments. No swipe fees.

Re: Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

2002
Been using Square since 2017. I like it a lot. I've only had one customer who demanded a refund (said lost her card and someone used it here but I remember her and smogging her car just fine). Square gave her her refund but didn't charge me anything. I thought that was pretty cool.

2.75% for swiped cards and $30 monthly fee isn't bad. I even run my payroll with Square. They literally take care of everything and I just print it out. Super easy

Re: Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

none
2002 wrote
...2.75% for swiped cards and $30 monthly fee isn't bad....
That sounds high.

My cc processing is through BEYOND.

My rep is a very honest guy, not some high pressure salesman type. TROY SCHMIDT (530)305-7188. Give him a call and get a quote. It might be worth changing.

i think hes paying the monthly for using the payroll service. they dont charge monthly for processing only

Re: Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

none
Now that I think about it. If the difference is 0.75% and you charge out $2,000 a day it is only the difference of $15 a day. It's not going to make or break you.

I think I'm at 1.9% for credit card purchases and 35 cents for debit but I could be way off.

1.9 sounds really low everything i see now is above 2.0% square is 2.6% + .10c thats how they make up for the monthly fee pretty much

Re: Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

none
If you lease your C/C terminal rather than purchase it is more too. The other thing that affects it is what your average ticket is, How many $ a day, and how long you leave it open.

Restaurants pay high fees because the ticket is open for a long time-when you run the card-then the signature and tip-then it's closed and later it's batched.

Most auto repair shops have an average RO around $450-650.

The other processioning company I see positive stuff mentioned on the World Pac (auto repair) forum is 360Payments (https://www.360payments.com) and they say it is geared toward the auto repair industry but I don't know if that means much to us smog guys since we usually charge face to face rather than over the phone and I don't need to integrate into my invoicing program.

nice they are local in sj i might have to give them a call elevon is also showing 1.6% plus 10c

Re: Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

BasicTech678 wrote
hey scanner are you still using square? im currently paying between 280-400 monthly its getting too pricy
Yes, I'm still using Square.   Business must be pretty good if you're paying that much in fees.

The amount I've collected from credit/debit cards since the first of this month is $2911.97

This is the Excel formula that calculates what Square charges  =PRODUCT(D20,-0.026)-0.1

which comes to $76.80    It's easy, it's fast, and I'm too lazy to check on other companies offerings.

Re: Anyone using SQUARE as credit card payment?

xcinlb
I've been using Payment Depot for a few years now, saved me a bunch over Wells Fargo. Wells, was nice that you got your money the same day. Payment Depot sometimes takes two days, because they close at 5:00 PM and we batch out between 5:30-6:00 PM.

Square is not good for high volume.

Here is a ranking of the processors.
https://www.merchantmaverick.com/the-best-small-business-credit-card-processing-companies/