Appendix G

007
The BAR Blast yesterday, said to follow the new appendix G for aftermarket parts, this is the revised updates dated july 2014. Page 7-14 G-3, For obd2 vehicles with aftermarket cats, they have been telling us that the eo# and the engine family need to match. They don't even mention the engine family as a requirement, so does that mean we no longer use the engine family?

Re: Appendix G

Karupt
I have always used engine SIZE  i have noticed that engine size is always in the engine family code somewhere . now i have known guys that fail the vehicle because the underhood label is missing and they cannot verify engine family .  If the label is missing i use the book and the components on the vehicle to match it up to an engine size and proceed from there .

Re: Appendix G

kfworry
Sometimes I use a Web Site to decode the VIN and determine engine size when ESC label is missing.
I.E.: 4.8L or 5.3L General Motors engines "look alike".

Re: Appendix G

kfworry
BTW, OIS DAD decodes the VIN and gives us the engine size etc.
No more second guessing the engine specs.

Re: Appendix G

deviationmaster
I always use the aftermarket catalyst database and the corresponding engine family example if i get a 2001 toyota corolla with the engine family number (efn#) 1TYXV01.8FFA i check it with the corresponding part #.
1 being the model year and 1.8 is the engine size. Once i got called from the Referee that the EFN# and the Catalyst part # did not match even though the engine size did.

Re: Appendix G

I don't even check engine family, I only check if it matches the vehicle's engine size and it's a pass.

Re: Appendix G

BAR really should have made a way for the OIS to store pertinent information for each vehicle and display it for each subsequent test. The ECS and vacuum labels should be photographed and stored. And whatever aftermarket parts are on the car should be documented for the next test. I'm not even sure if we have to keep entering the EO for cats on retests, but since the damn thing can't even save CA/FED I'm assuming it doesn't save it.

If they don't do it soon, I'm going to make a Facebook page for each car so we have something useful to work with.

Re: Appendix G

cosmokramertheassman
After speaking with a couple different BAR reps about confirming cats, I was told we only need to check the EO and part number (and date) when inspecting catalytic converters. So that's what I've been doing. I've never checked to see if the engine family matches.

Re: Appendix G

Wear a wire whenever speaking to a BAR rep, follow the books, only take a reps advice if it's in writing and three other reps agree.

Re: Appendix G

007
The bottom line you need to make sure the right cat is on the vehicle, the only way to make sure is match the EO# with the engine family. If the engine family does not match it is the wrong cat. Every vehicle from the factory uses the engine family to determine exactly what came on that vehicle, then that info is given to the air resouces board, from there all aftermarket parts for that vehicle are approved for that matching engine family. You can find this info on there site if you look real hard for it.
Al

Re: Appendix G

Al
007 is correct
I have failed dozens of these cats for the incorrect engine family # even though the year and  engine size were a match. A few of these customers decided to go to the referee to verify the failure because their cars had passed the test before with that cat installed. Referee also failed them. Shop that installed these cats and/or the shop that passed with incorrect cat had to buy the customer a new cat.

Re: Appendix G

Do you recall any specific vehicles that had this issue? It would be nice to make a database to pinpoint the ones we need to look out for. This of course should be done by the ARB to facilitate and reduce test time, which reduces emissions too!

Re: Appendix G

cosmokramertheassman
I was going based on this:

For OBDII Equipped Vehicles, inspectors shall use the Executive Order (EO)
number and corresponding part number to verify the application for each specific
vehicle. To verify application, inspectors must check the ARB EO Aftermarket
Catalytic Converter Database located on the ARB Web site. Each EO contains a
catalog listing the applicable vehicles.

For Pre-OBDII Vehicles, inspectors shall use the EO number to verify the CAT falls
within the correct vehicle category- PC-1, PC-2, T-1, T-2. Refer to ARB’s Web site
for a separate Pre-OBDII EO Listing containing the EO numbers and corresponding
vehicle categories. Inspectors are not required to check specific vehicle application
using the series or part numbers.
For older CATs without an EO label, use the general procedure described in the first
paragraph above.

But on the list of approved cats, at the bottom it reads:

5. Compare the engine test group (engine family) from the underhood label on your vehicle to the ones listed in the EO to ensure that there is a match.

So I guess that's the definitive answer? Haha

Re: Appendix G

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/efn-tp5021554p5021570.html

barrym95838
EO144107