Appointments? / Walk-Ins?

Dgon27
Does anyone do appointment only? I’ve been contemplating going from walk-ins only to more of a day full of a majority of appointments and less walk-ins. Anyone have experience going from walk in to appointments? Id appreciate any feedback in advantages, disadvantages, lessons learnt, etc.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Re: Appointments? / Walk-Ins?

xcinlb
If you decide to do appointments, I would still keep walk-ins, you don't want to loose customers. I hate having to make appointments for stuff and would just go somewhere where I just walk in. Just my 2 cents.

Re: Appointments? / Walk-Ins?

Best Answer I Can Give
 If we lived in a PERFECT world, Appointments. We don't so First come First served.

 To KNOW you were going to do X amount of vehicles and then go home. Perfect.

Re: Appointments? / Walk-Ins?

444O444
appointments never worked for me, either people (usually) late or early. and demand to be served right away.

Re: Appointments? / Walk-Ins?

No One
444O444 wrote
appointments never worked for me, either people (usually) late or early. and demand to be served right away.
I do appointments when a customer request one. I usually tell them if they don't show up at given time and I have customers, that I will do them first. I also let any waiting customer that I have an appointment at said time, but they go to the front of the line if the appointment doesn't show up on time.

Re: Appointments? / Walk-Ins?

Able
For what its worth, we went from appointments, to walk-in only, then now back to appointments because some customers want to be served immediately.

So now we only do appointment for ASM testing and OIS testing is walk-in only. So far so good.

Re: Appointments? / Walk-Ins?

Re: Appointments? / Walk-Ins?

Best Answer I Can Give
 I answer the phone 99.9% of the time.
"Right now as I am talking to you my wait time is X. Now that could change because we work first come first serve. So the time I give you now may not be it when you get here."

Re: Appointments? / Walk-Ins?

When I was a one man show I would figure I could do one smog every 20 minutes (BAR97 days) so I would take appointments in every other 20 minute block. That way I had time for drop-ins with a 20 minute or less wait and still get the appointment at their time. It has worked well for me.

Now I have two "lanes" and I make appointments for one and do the other side drop in. Most people don't miss their appointments but with two of us it is less of a disruption if someone flakes or is late.

Here is a picture of what my appointment/scheduling sheet looks like (poor scan). I write down every car including drop-ins so I can keep them sorted out when it is a two hour wait. I always have at least two weeks of these on my clip board.

Re: Appointments? / Walk-Ins?

805smogtech
When I was the only one smoging, we were first come first serve. No appointments. But we were also a pretty low volume shop doing maybe 8 or 10 smogs a day and no dyno.

Now we really only try and schedule the 95 and older stuff that takes 15 minutes or longer. The OIS stuff, the cashiers just tell to come in whenever is convinient.

Really depends on your situation. The more techs you have on hand the easier it is to do walk-ups.

Re: Appointments? / Walk-Ins?

Technician A
I answer the phone 99.9% of the time.
"Right now as I am talking to you my wait time is X. Now that could change because we work first come first serve. So the time I give you now may not be it when you get here."
I do the same and so far everybody on the other side of the phone understands.

Re: Appointments? / Walk-Ins?

Re: Appointments? / Walk-Ins?

BayAreaSmogTech
I'm appointments only for BAR-97 smogs. I make appointments for OIS ones as well but I'll happily accept walk-ins. Appointments also get priority. My customers enjoy not having to sit around more than 15mins for a smog check.

Re: Appointments? / Walk-Ins?

Dgon27
Thanks for all your comments and sharing your experiences. I really appreciate it. I think I’m going to start slow. Schedule a few here and there and see how it goes.