Approved Equipment and a DING.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Just finished a 01 Crown Vic. Failed for OBD. Fine. Failed because no power to the DLC. Fine. Failed on a GEN III.

 He brings it to me. My GEN III will not read it. Going to fail. Move it over to the old SPX with a "Powered" CAN reader PASS

 Now the car is on it's off cycle. They are doing it because they just bought it.
So guy who did it less than 2 years ago takes a FAIL Ding. Me, now because it may need a smog next year, IF they don't replace the fuse like I told them, and told them to get it fixed. I could get a DING, YET I USED ALL BAR APPROVE STUFF.

 Jeez I wonder why this old man is bitter. I wonder why some of you guys are getting bitter.

 We do NOTHING WRONG. BUT IT'S OUR FAULT. AND WE FOLLOW THE RULES.
iha

Re: Approved Equipment and a DING.

iha
You knew going in that is an issue with the Gen 3. I will be surprised if it ever gets fixed! Same thing about getting RPM from obd1 vehicles.

Re: Approved Equipment and a DING.

deathbysmog
Why would you test an 01 on a bar97?.

Re: Approved Equipment and a DING.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Sorry got my years wrong 1998. Now it will make sense.

Re: Approved Equipment and a DING.

iha wrote
I have no problems getting rpm for any vehicle( even rotary rx-7's) from the gen 3.All these newbies will get the hang of it sooner or later. As far as the no power thing, sucks but at least it'll help with svfr. I sometimes  replace the fuse(if that is what it caused it to have no power to dlc) so I don't have to do the car twice.

Re: Approved Equipment and a DING.

Best Answer I Can Give
 I wish it had more options. SPX use could go to the coil. Less interference.

Re: Approved Equipment and a DING.

corsakev
i normaly just replace the fuse and tell the customer

Re: Approved Equipment and a DING.

Best Answer I Can Give
 That's fine. Normally we will to. Not the point. How many shops DON'T. Give the last guy a ding.

 The DINGs came because STATE APPROVED EQUIPMENT IS NOT ALL THE SAME.
My SPX passed it. Next time the Opus, STATE APPROVED EQUIPMENT . Will FAIL IT. YET WE BOTH DID NOTHING WRONG.

Re: Approved Equipment and a DING.

kfworry
I get RPM just fine with the non-contact hooked to the battery,
on my ESP/OPUS Gen 3, if the fuse for pin 16 is blown.
Run the test, reads monitors, simple

Re: Approved Equipment and a DING.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Ok so maybe some of us will learn something.
kf. you say run it like a 95. Off a tach lead. Then read the OBD after the test?

Re: Approved Equipment and a DING.

I have to track down the fuse for pin 16 on the 96-99s that won't communicate.  Maybe my Gen 3 is more like Besta's and less like kfworry's!?!?!

Re: Approved Equipment and a DING.

Smogtech
some 97-98 nissan altima I get the rpm like 95-older.  Then obd2 after asm.

Re: Approved Equipment and a DING.

Best Answer I Can Give
 This is all well and good, but what do you do about the person who just doesn't give a SHIT. Fail that POS screw the other guys FPR.
Yet if the one APPROVED machine, worked like the other APPROVED machine, where is the problem.

 How about the guy who NEVER KNEW SHIT about a vehicle. Got hurt on the job and now is "Retrained" as a a "Licensed Smog Tech". He don't know shit. Do you think he will look for a fuse?
How about a guy like me. To fucking tired and sore to bend under a dash to look for the fuse. I only do it on the Chevy trucks because it's out in the open. And then am I breaking the rules because I am test only?

 PISSED OFF at the fact that a "APPROVED piece of equipment, can give you a DING.