Aprils scores out

Re: Aprils scores out

Karupt
This is to Z number 2 , there must be a cracked pcv hose somewhere on those old beaters and gascaps too .it really bites to fail someone for a gascap but BAR has spoken it so !

Re: Aprils scores out

STAR is Racist
That's a good point you can fail the gas cap and redo the smog. My fail rate holds steady and I turn away more cars because they won't pass than I actually fail.

Re: Aprils scores out

Just the Facts

Re: Aprils scores out

Troll
why not sell them a fuel cap-
or is stocking caps too expensive??

Re: Aprils scores out

Does anyone know if the SVFR and FuPR effects are the same or different for a (mid-test fuel cap fail-replace-pass) versus a (complete test fail-replace-complete test pass)?

Re: Aprils scores out

Just the Facts

Re: Aprils scores out

Karupt
not only do we stock gas caps , we sell them . For all of you very helpful people out there , I was trying to help Z with his question .But thanks for all the help . I have been in this business for 12 years including being owner so get off my jock .

Re: Aprils scores out

SVFR is short term and FPR is long term. If the tech had failed the gas cap and re-smogged it, his SVFR will go up and the previous tech that passed it FPR will go down. THat's how I understand it.

Re: Aprils scores out

Karupt
okay Fiendfx , you got a point , but how about those old cars that BAR EXpects to visually fail for a cracked hose once in a while ?I am not saying fail every car for your own svfr . that would not be honest . On the other hand when you have a faithful and loyal clientel they probably were your customers two years before in which case your FPR will probably take a small plunge . But will probably be back after repairs anyhow .

Re: Aprils scores out

FiendFX
At the end of the day, it's your license. When you scanned your license to do a smog, you are responsible for that test.

Re: Aprils scores out

Other Z did your smog volume increase? My svfr use to be 20% firm throughout a year. Now thanks to more advertising my volume increased almost double, I still fail around the same of cars as I use to, but now with more vehicles I inspect and more are passing my svfr is at 10%.

Re: Aprils scores out

Just the Facts

Re: Aprils scores out

Johnnybeme
So facts man I believe that if we compare geographic station data of SVFR we will get a pricing model of how price affects results? Would be interesting to chart price and SVFR comparison. I guess that would be doing the BAR work for them? But somebody has to!!!!!!

Re: Aprils scores out

BlueSky
Just the facts wrote
I've wondered the same thing, but don't know.  It should count for your SVFR because it did in fact fail, you were simply allowed to repair it before the final result was rendered.  Having ultimately certified it, I imagine you could expect to be on the FuPR hook for it going forward.  Like I said though, I don't know if that's the case, or not.
5.6 Will my Similar Vehicle Failure Rate (SVFR) be affected if I replace a failing fuel cap in the middle of an inspection and then pass the vehicle?

Smog Check inspectors have the option to replace leaking fuel caps mid-inspection in order to avoid having to fail the vehicle when the sole reason for the Smog Check failure is the fuel cap. When this occurs, and the inspector indicates that the fuel cap was replaced during the test, the SVFR performance measure will treat the inspection as though the fuel cap failed the leak-down portion of the inspection. Thus, while the official result for the inspection was a pass, replacing the cap mid-inspection will not affect a station's SVFR.

Re: Aprils scores out

Johnnybeme
Sorry you have to actually fail it to count, period. Takes more time but may be worth it to keep your STAR.

Re: Aprils scores out

BlueSky
Johnnybeme wrote
Sorry you have to actually fail it to count, period. Takes more time but may be worth it to keep your STAR.
JM
Do you have proof that BAR is not standing behind their answer in question 5.6?

Re: Aprils scores out

Moderator
Good research, BlueSky!  I read 5.6 and forgot it, but you jogged my memory.  What is NOT answered explicitly is the FuPR effect on the tech who passed it two years ago, although I think it would be safe to assume that he or she gets the FuPR shaft for a follow-up fail.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: Aprils scores out

If a cap fails, fail it and tell them to go buy one. Sometimes if my fails are good for the day/week I change them during the inspection but if I'm low on fails I fail the car first. Only satisfactory way imo.

Re: Aprils scores out

cosmokramertheassman
I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't keep track of their "fails for the week." Some of the stuff you guys do "to keep your STAR" seems downright silly.

Re: Aprils scores out

In the last three work weeks, I performed a total of 156 inspections; 75 on BAR-97 and 81 on OIS.  52 BAR-97s passed and 67 OISs passed.

That also means that I crawled around on my hands and knees at least 156 times, and checked at least 624 tires for proper inflation.

This calendar year, I have performed 520 OIS inspections, and a total of 1106 since we started last July 10th, at 10:58AM.
12