Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

GrossPolluter
I have a 2008 Ferrari 599 that needs to get inspected for initial registration. Monitors are all incomplete because the owner recently changed out the battery, for a Optima battery. He is very particular and wanted me and only me to inspect his vehicles.

Like the title says are all 08's CAN protocol? Where can I get the most recent list of vehicles that are CAN?

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

SMOG 1
Appendix j

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

reactor
599, 612, F430 are all CAN in 08.

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

GrossPolluter
Thanks guys,

I just remember this site I used to use, may help others

http://www.obdclearinghouse.com/index.php?body=can

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

K20SI
in the back of the motors book there is a list i use it everyday

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

just another shop owner
As I understand it all 08 were to be CAN.

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

Jones
2009 and newer are all CAN
TimeOut

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

SMOG 1
my question would be what does it matter if CAN or not ive been entering yes for obd2 functional for every car i mean even 2011 bmws, benz nothing different happens why are we supposed to be concerned if they are CAN again?

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

FiendFX
If the car is CAN and the monitors is not complete it will fail the smog inspection. The smog software doesn't always know if the car is CAN or not, hence, it asks you does it require OBD2 functional check.

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

This is correct. Some 2008 Hondas are not CAN.

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

SMOG 1
Of course any car CAN or NOt will fail if monitors are not complete so What does it matter CAN or NO CAN

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

techton
Smog 1:

  If you are performing the OBD 2 functional test on vehicles 2008 and newer, then you must have a pass-thru device.

  I wrote an earlier post on  lowering your maximum readiness monitor percentage using CAN-equipped cars.

  For now, all vehicles 2008 model year and newer are required to have at least one of its protocols to be CAN.

  One way to verify that a vehicle is CAN (or not) is to look at the ALDL connector.  If pins 6 and 14 are "populated" (which means they are being used, that they have a metal insert) then that is an indication the vehicle is CAN-equipped.

  Pin 6 is CAN High (ISO 15765-4 and SAE J2284) and Pin 14 is CAN Low (same protocol as CAN High).

  Manufacturers use different pins for different purposes, although all use pin 4 for Battery ground and pin 16 for Battery power, and all use pins 6 and 14 is CAN-equipped.

  We are not required to functionally test (for OBD 2) vehicles that use the CAN protocol, but can if we wish.

  Hope this helps.

 Techton

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

K20SI
if the car was can and u put it needs obd2 functional test at the end the computer will not read can cars and u would have to re do the test

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

SMOG 1
K20 si this is only true if u dont have a CAN module i have not had to abort and retest a car due to it being CAN

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

K20SI
it will pick up rpm but it will not do functional test some newer cars the computer will bypass it for u but someu will have to bypass it

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

 From my understanding all 2008 and newer cars most have CAN by law, just like all 1996 and newer cars had to have OBD2.

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

smogtech19
It sucks smogging ferrari's you only get to pull them in and out of the shop no test drive but driving them on the dyno is more than most people can say.

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

BAR made an update BLAST about pins 6 and 14 is not a valid check for CAN anymore.

Re: Are all 2008 CAN protocols?

That's incorrect. Where did you cite that? Some 2008 Hondas are not CAN. Check the CAN list.