Ase A2

fartvalve
Damn. What a pain in the arse. Barely passed it.
Master certified but I ain’t touching no dang trans.
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: Ase A2

Johnnybeme
Know what you mean FTV. I have winged it (barely passed) for the last thirty years. I have never taken a automatic apart in my life. Do not even have an interest but sometimes it helps to know the system overall to understand other drivability issues. Also some knowledge you give customers makes them feel you have a better grasp of their automotive needs. I never stop learning even when I have surely had enough.

Re: Ase A2

Best Answer I Can Give
 It's L1 take I worry most about. I figure one more time and then I will never  have to take them again. I will be 70 when they are due.I sure as hell hope I'm not doing this at 70.

 ASE needs to make a test that has to do with Smog Check. Cruise control, wiper problems? Sure it can tell if you can think, but do you KNOW.

Re: Ase A2

fartvalve wrote
Damn. What a pain in the arse. Barely passed it.
Master certified but I ain’t touching no dang trans.
I blasted through all of them like a maniac, and passed all of them easily, including L1.
Master certified but I ain’t touching no dang trans.

Re: Ase A2

fartvalve wrote
Damn. What a pain in the arse. Barely passed it.
Master certified but I ain’t touching no dang trans.
Years ago I bought into being an ASE CMAT.   I read online that we should be proud of our profession, and prove it by becoming ASE certified.   I placed signs on my business stating that my shop had ASE certified technician.   I eventually found out that no one gives a damn.   I asked some of my best customers and they didn't care.  I asked some random customers and they didn't care.   No cares if you're certified or not.

I only maintain my A6, A8, and L1 in order to retain my smog license.   The only entity that cares if I'm ASE certified is BAR.

Just out of curiosity, why are you a CMAT?

Re: Ase A2

BasicTech678
last time i cared was when i started working for firestone fresh out of school, got hired during a job fair, anyway they reimbursed you your fees, and Paid you 200 each one you obtained, i left shortly after completing the smog test lol.

independents dont care, but franchise repair shops, and dealers do, they are great leverage for more pay

Re: Ase A2

Smogtech
auto trans and manual trans test together

L1 I am taking next month,   =

Re: Ase A2

none
I still take all the tests only because it is pretty cheap to take all the recerts as long as I do it in one sitting. I originally became an "ASE master tech" because the Toyota dealer I worked at based the pay scale on ASE and Toyota certifications.

I wish I could take the tests in the order I want but since they went to computer tests I can't do it that way. I would rather leave all the trans, engine building, and front end tests for last. That way I could focus on the tests I need. Now that I need reading glasses I find that I get pretty tired if I have to read too much.

Re: Ase A2

fartvalve
I have no clue what CMAT is.

I got all my certs for the big reason. More money.
Master ASE
L-1
Smog
Smog repair
Brake and lamp.

But I ain’t touching no dang auto trans.
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: Ase A2

fartvalve wrote
I have no clue what CMAT is.
Certified Master Automotive Technician.

Re: Ase A2

Smogtech
toyota pay $1 for every ase.   Also needed L1 to be mdt

Re: Ase A2

fartvalve wrote
But I ain’t touching no dang auto trans.
i wouldnt touch any trans period

Re: Ase A2

I am a couple shy away from master status, but I had a dealer tell me I was already overqualified for a regular service tech position they had. Pay must be shitty there then. As Best mentioned, smog pay is ok but no benefits  like healthcare, vacation etc.

Re: Ase A2

Smogtech wrote
toyota pay $1 for every ase.   Also needed L1 to be mdt
I was a "Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician" and the "MDT trip" every year was one thing I miss from working there.

The one thing though is that ASE and Toyota Certifications don't really mean that I know how to fix cars Just that I know how to take tests. There were better techs than me at the dealership but I had more certificates because I was a better test taker. We actually joked about that a lot. (that is the other thing I miss from that place is all the friends and fun everyday)

Re: Ase A2

Smogtech
I may had seen you in person before none?  I attended a few at toyota training in Irvine.   I also missed toyota

Re: Ase A2

ASE's are as much of a joke as the smog license exams. I wish they were actual live jobs you had to fix or diagnose while being watched by actual Master Techs. Of course that would mean I would be working at McDonalds, but the world would be a better place.

One thing I did learn from getting A2, IGS is bullshit for ATX.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Ase A2

Smogtech wrote
I may had seen you in person before none?  I attended a few at toyota training in Irvine.   I also missed toyota
I went to Toyota training in the Bay Area in San Ramon.

There is no way to get to San Ramon without dealing with horrible traffic. Having grown up here in Auburn I got a whole new introduction to commuting when I had to go to school. I don't know how some of you do it.