At what cost????????????

Johnnybeme
Say the BAR came to you and said they were considering standardizing the Smog check pricing? What would you say would be the right price to charge. Remember that it is one charge across the board for ALL testing required on every vehicle.

Re: At what cost????????????

jvolman
i think a split should be done.  say $40-$50 per OIS. $80 for older

Re: At what cost????????????

Best Answer I Can Give
Now that is a hard one.
I try to keep it simple. Price for the check, plus the $8.25 and then I tell them the total.
Start adding for different years and all that crap? Confuse dumb people and people who don't want to do it anyway?

 We have made a good living at $57 for them all.
Idaho they make no more than $5 per check.
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: At what cost????????????

I would prefer they set a cap on how many smog shops operate in each city depending on population size. Only so and so shops can open here & there etc. With tons of smog shops in each street corner no wonder many have a lowball price to bring a buck in.

Re: At what cost????????????

Best Answer I Can Give
 Setting caps goes against what this country was based on. FREE ENTERPRISE. But they can make up rules to go against what this Country was based on also. YOUR RIGHT TO APPEAL.
Oh you will still have a right to appeal, but they will take away your right to FREE ENTERPRISE while you wait for that APPEAL.
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: At what cost????????????

Johnnybeme wrote
Say the BAR came to you and said they were considering standardizing the Smog check pricing? What would you say would be the right price to charge. Remember that it is one charge across the board for ALL testing required on every vehicle.
If BAR says you must post one price for a Smog Inspection,  I would post $103.75 without the certificate.   What I charge for an inspection would depend on what I was working on.   BAR can't prevent you from discounting your services.

Re: At what cost????????????

deathbysmog
I say charge as much as you like, but no one can charge less then $40 + cert.

Re: At what cost????????????

scanner wrote
... What I charge for an inspection would depend on what I was working on.   BAR can't prevent you from discounting your services.
I think that you're on-point with that.  We do a version of that here too.  The advertised prices are rather high, but many (but certainly not all) customers get discounts on inspections and repair labor.  CrAP cars don't, but I usually don't deal directly with customers, so I don't really know how the service writer and boss decide on the others.

Re: At what cost????????????

I would say $60 out the door is satisfactory for any car.